Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods seeing reported posts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

No mod club? :( But what about the stories of the coke, hookers, BDSM dungeons and trips to Thailand?.

We are in a recession, dammit.

Coke and hookers are long gone, the BSDM dungeons are now offices for the new staff and trips to Thailand are now a daytrips to Dun Laoighre pier with a flaggin of Lidl cider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not giving out to anybody in particular, but you can see why users might - mistakenly - think there is a mod club when a genuine piece of user feedback ends up with a load of the usual arch, self-referential lonely station of the moderator intra-mod wisecracking. Maybe best kept for the mod forum and not feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Hot Lips wrote: »
    I'd love to know why you think there is a "mod club".
    Do you really believe that mods have to like each other and agree with each other because they are mods?
    If you think that you are wrong.:)

I was using that very loosely just to get across that a mod in another forum is not just another user but a user who is part of a group who are set apart from normal users given their position in other forums. Didnt mean that your part of an actual club.
    You really shouldn't feel that way, it's not just mods that see the Reported Post Forum, C-Mods and Admin can view it too.

Its not the fact of who else can see it its the fact that the person reported can see it that disconcerts me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MungBean wrote: »
    Its not the fact of who else can see it its the fact that the person reported can see it that disconcerts me.

It's far more likely that people will dislike another poster for the way they phrase their posts. I don't have many people on my "ignore list", but those few posters who have annoyed me enough to be on it were all in regular forums. Not in Reported Posts. :)

It's far more likely that people will dislike another poster for the way they phrase their posts. I don't have many people on my "ignore list", but those few posters who have annoyed me enough to be on it were all in regular forums. Not in Reported Posts. :)

But that could just add to it, you have someone on ignore so your dislike has brought you out of your way to ignore anything they have to say. Seeing them report your post could do the same, create a dislike or compound a growing dislike. Point being a dislike is created or increased based on a user expressing concern in what they feel is an anonymous report to the forum mod. Prior to me finding out that other mods could see the reports I assumed (as most people do) that a report was as good as pm to the forum mods and not open to view by all other mods.

Even though your more likely to feel that way from reading their posts doesnt mean that your not likely to do it because of them reporting you and you taking it personally.

And are those posters still on ignore in the forums you mod ? Because if they are and you ignored them based on what was said in another forum then wouldnt you already showed bias in your capacity as a mod based on your dislike of that user ?.

And another question this brings me to is are reported pm's open to view for everyone ? I'd imagine there's tighter control on who views private conversations that the user has concern about ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

flahavaj wrote: »
    Probably too huge an undertaking to fix?

It's a big undertaking, yes. This scenario isn't possible to implement within the structures of vBulletin far various reasons, principally the size of boards :) Progress is being made to reduce our reliance on vBulletin though so in the future it may be possible.

For what it's worth, I'm of the personal opinion that a ticketing system would be most favourable - mods get access to tickets for their forums only, cmods get access to tickets from all forums in their category and admins get access to all tickets. I will agree with most mods too that this will fix an issue that's not really an issue, there aren't many mods who'll wade through the couple of hundred reported posts per day just to create a snitch-list...

*Goes off to search for username :pac:*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If a mod has been reported on another forum most will take it on the chin, they know the general rules of boards, and will know they have been in the wrong if found to be.

I have had my own posts reported on my own forum, and in other forums, for the other forums I would have found out by accident through the new posts tab. A mod would have little to do looking through the reported posts forum to see if someone has reported them. That forum is huge.
    No mod club? :( But what about the stories of the coke, hookers, BDSM dungeons and trips to Thailand? Stop ruining my dream of being a mod.

Due to cutbacks its now Tescos Value Cola, a fly half, and a trip to the shops on a rota basis to buy the tea and buscuits for the staff room.

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Prior to me finding out that other mods could see the reports I assumed (as most people do) that a report was as good as pm to the forum mods and not open to view by all other mods.

If you can't trust the system that's worked so well until now, then that's your problem, I'm afraid. It's all supposition at this stage. It sounds like an "Oh no, somebody might not like me!" fear of reporting a post, when the reality is it's water off a duck's back.
    And are those posters still on ignore in the forums you mod ?

There was a big thread about that a few months ago. You never ignore someone in a forum you mod. Ignoring them everywhere else is fine.
    And another question this brings me to is are reported pm's open to view for everyone ?

Admins only. :)

If you can't trust the system that's worked so well until now, then that's your problem, I'm afraid. It's all supposition at this stage. It sounds like an "Oh no, somebody might not like me!" fear of reporting a post, when the reality is it's water off a duck's back.

I just gave my opinion and that opinion was that I found it disconcerting. People responded to me and I was just explaining why I find it that way which is what you've taken issue with. Stuff like "thats your problem" and "its all supposition" is just discounting my opinion which makes responding to me pointless to begin with.
    There was a big thread about that a few months ago. You never ignore someone in a forum you mod. Ignoring them everywhere else is fine.

But presumably once on your ignore list they are ignored everywhere. Or do mods have a different ignore feature than normal users ?
    Admins only. :)

Good to know.

But presumably once on your ignore list they are ignored everywhere. Or do mods have a different ignore feature than normal users ?

It's the exact same feature. Hypothetically speaking, if someone on my "ignore list" started posting in one of the forums I mod, then I'd have to take them off the list. If someone in one of those forums annoys me, then I make an effort to chat with them via PM to sort it out amicably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Same feature. If someone is on your ignore list you can still see that they've posted. You just don't see the post by default. There is a view post link instead. So in a forum I mod if someone I ignored is posting I'd have to view the posts manually or remove them from the ignore list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

For what it's worth, I'm of the personal opinion that a ticketing system would be most favourable - mods get access to tickets for their forums only, cmods get access to tickets from all forums in their category and admins get access to all tickets. I will agree with most mods too that this will fix an issue that's not really an issue, there aren't many mods who'll wade through the couple of hundred reported posts per day just to create a snitch-list...
    That sounds like you're trying to fix something that isn't broken Danny - that's never good and I'm speaking as a fellow developer :).

"If it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features"

Hmm, that makes me wonder. Do mods receive a notification that a post has been reported in one of their forums or do they have to search through the reported posts forum to find one that's relevant to them? The latter sounds a bit tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was wondering that myself. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We get a mail when there's a post reported in our modded forums.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Orion wrote: »
    We get a mail when there's a post reported in our modded forums.
    And I get a mail when there's any post reported in Soc.

TBH, the only ones I look at are my own, or those from any forums that are on my radar due to ongoing issues or when I know a forum mod is away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Perhaps it has been answered - I lost thread of the thread somewhere midway through about what mods can do and can't do and the line of command etc etc...
    flahavaj wrote: »
    No, no specific problem. It has stopped me from reporting mods before outside their own forum though.

I'm sure no one would bother idly wading through hundreds of reported posts, but if a mod was specifically reported they would have a reason to seek out who reported them. Indeed I've seen a mod admit to reading such posts before.

Is there not a valid point by mr. flahavaj...

Say for example - Wibbs* - reads or goes looking for the reported posts of tLL. And comes across in doing so, has access which informs that flahavaj has reported him in After Hours for being anti-GAA or something. The anonymity of the reporter is gone which is kind of unfair, not that Wibbs can do anything about it...surely that has an impact on whether people will report things.

*Honestly picked at random :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ive had posts of mine reported in a couple of different fora since Ive become a mod,one I received an infraction for(I referred to Rafa Benitez as a tubby git in the soccer forum,I stand by it :pac: ) but hand on heart I cant remember who reported it and didnt care at the time because the report and the card were the correct thing to do in the SF.

Id like to think that if Im being a dick or have the appearance of being a dick that users or other mods would report my posts.Just because I mod one forum doesnt mean I or any other mod should be allowed to act the maggot or that other users should fear some kind of censure from me/other mods for reporting any of our posts.

The reported posts forum by and large makes for boring reading.The only thing that I think it is good for is asking fellow mods how reported posts may need to be handled,aside from the odd occasion a post is reported in tGC I rarely look at it.

Advertisement