Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inclusive vs Exclusive *Noc Notice* Read plox

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Posts were reported. Mods were PMd.
    ... but there's no reported posts in my inbox ...
    There are 3 reported posts from Noc in the last 2 months. All of them relate to spam.

I've received 2 PMs in the same time period relating to Noc, one to do with the SSF comedy gig, one on Weds night drawing my attention to something which may or may not be related to this current upset; I replied saying I would certainly keep an eye open, and also encouraging that poster to report posts.

I know I haven't been around as much; work has been crazy, several 13 / 14 hour days this week, for example, and next week looks fair set to be similar. Plus I'm now trying to keep an eye on a category.

But I've made a point of trying to drop in daily or at least most days, and I certainly keep an eye for reported posts.

The reported posts mechanism is there for a reason; not alone is it a simple way to attract a mod's attention, it means that *all* the mods of a particular forum are kept in the loop. I'm not a great believer in the "PM a mod" line for general things ... if you really feel that a reported post isn't the way to go, please copy all mods rather than ending up with a situation where at least two if not three of the forum mods are blindsided. And please do it at the time, rather than letting it build up a head of steam which then blows up further down the line.

In fairness, Noc is normally a grand little forum to mod, with a grand bunch of people ... but this isn't the first time over the years that I have found myself pretty lost / confused as to wtf was going on behind the scenes.

I genuinely think that we're all agreed that we want this to be a welcoming forum. And given that humans have an infinite capacity to get under one another's skin at times, even the very soundest of people, sometimes that means taking a deep breath and counting to ten, or using that wonderful invention the scroll wheel.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense, I am pretty thoroughly exhausted at the moment, but this is about the fifth draft of this post since 7 o'clock, so hopefully I have at least come close to the target this time.

I have nothing other to add at the moment other than to agree whole-heartedly with Doom in his advice / request that everyone takes some time to cool down. If there are in fact issues which still need resolving, I would certainly prefer to be approaching them with a clearer head and after some sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Can I ask, what exactly can we report a post for?

Recently had a rant to boyf about reading particular types of posts in a forum which dragged the whole place down (not necessarily in here) and boyf said 'why didn't you report?'. I don't want to push the big scary button over stupid things, but I can't help but wonder if we pushed it more often, maybe boards and the noc would be a nicer place to lounge about...

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you think it deserves reporting, then report it. You're given an opportunity to add an explanation/clarification when you report a post, so just stick down a note as to why you reported it.

The mods can they decide to act on it or not once you report the post. They may not action every post you report but that shouldn't put you off reporting posts.

Reporting posts also helps out the mods as no-one can realistically expect them to read every post in their forums.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Can I add one thing - sending a PM to ONE out of the 4 mods listed is not reporting it. Clicking the Report report.gif button is. No one reported anything.

If there's a problem report it, *all* the mods need to know before something can be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just my 2 cents: I'm always mindful of greeting people and responding if they quote me. You're not always going to be able to have a full blown convo with everyone but it's always nice to acknowledge people who went to the effort of acknowledging you in the first place. :)

It's not a major issue here in the Noc anyway, the above is just a general rule of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Just my 2 cents: I'm always mindful of greeting people and responding if they quote me. You're not always going to be able to have a full blown convo with everyone but it's always nice to acknowledge people who went to the effort of acknowledging you in the first place. :)

It's not a major issue here in the Noc anyway, the above is just a general rule of mine.

Same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Its kinda sad that something like this had to be said, the noc forum has been the biggest part of my board experience.. and like everything it changes and moves on.

It is completely different to when I used to post in here, as users have left and new people have come into place instead, which is always going to happen.

I cant speak on behalf of everybody else, but the main reason I dont post here anymore is because I dont find it as welcoming, but then again I know you can't say hello everytime someone new logs in, but it would be nice to be acknowledged once in a while. I also find a lot of the posts and comments to either be about boobs or full of smut, if i wanted to read that Id go to AH!... I just find the topic of conversation doesnt appeal to me, and its not a place i like anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Probably doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to anybody, but I'm just going to say that the reason I left was due to the clique in here.(only a small few posters but big enough personalities to take over the place) They were intimidating, and very nasty at times. Maybe some people want to think it doesn't exist but, well, it does. They clearly want their own private forum, so maybe they should get one, and let everyone else post away in here without having to worry about it.

RxQueen wrote: »
    Its kinda sad that something like this had to be said, the noc forum has been the biggest part of my board experience.. and like everything it changes and moves on.

It is completely different to when I used to post in here, as users have left and new people have come into place instead, which is always going to happen.

I cant speak on behalf of everybody else, but the main reason I dont post here anymore is because I dont find it as welcoming, but then again I know you can't say hello everytime someone new logs in, but it would be nice to be acknowledged once in a while. I also find a lot of the posts and comments to either be about boobs or full of smut, if i wanted to read that Id go to AH!... I just find the topic of conversation doesnt appeal to me, and its not a place i like anymore.
    Probably doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to anybody, but I'm just going to say that the reason I left was due to the clique in here.(only a small few posters but big enough personalities to take over the place) They were intimidating, and very nasty at times. Maybe some people want to think it doesn't exist but, well, it does. They clearly want their own private forum, so maybe they should get one, and let everyone else post away in here without having to worry about it.

Maybe you should both PM the mods and give them examples of this kind of behaviour

Maybe you should both PM the mods and give them examples of this kind of behaviour

it was way too long ago now for me to be able to find it. besides that, one in particular has a style of writing that comes off like joking while actually taking sly digs at you.

if the mods want to know any more from me, they can pm me about it. just wanted to have my say on this.

• Advertisement

it was way too long ago now for me to be able to find it. besides that, one in particular has a style of writing that comes off like joking while actually taking sly digs at you.

if the mods want to know any more from me, they can pm me about it. just wanted to have my say on this.

I've been called on this before, so if you're referring to me, by all means share with the rest. I don't mind. :)

I've been called on this before, so if you're referring to me, by all means share with the rest. I don't mind. :)

no not at all lyzby :)

doubt the mods want anything more said on posters in here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Shiminay wrote: »
    Can I add one thing - sending a PM to ONE out of the 4 mods listed is not reporting it. Clicking the Report button is. No one reported anything.

If there's a problem report it, *all* the mods need to know before something can be sorted.
    I disagree. Just like I wouldn't go running to a large number of admins and cmods on boards if I needed something or wanted to report something, users can choose who they want to talk to.
    Just my 2 cents: I'm always mindful of greeting people and responding if they quote me. You're not always going to be able to have a full blown convo with everyone but it's always nice to acknowledge people who went to the effort of acknowledging you in the first place.

If only it always was like that :)
    RxQueen wrote: »

Yeah, it sucked after only glimpsing boards briefly now and then,checking reports and pms to then come back properly to this kinda stuff.

I completely get what you are saying, without pointing fingers, as a user I feel the exact same as you do and have for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Doom has a very well drafted up post to upload that was passed around today, so watch this space.

Apols for unclearnvaguenicity in OP, this post should clear it up- not quite bullet points, but much clearer and less tired typey.

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

I've tried to post a few times but haven't quite been able to make sense so please bear with me.

One major problem I see with the 'report posts' function is the fact that the report does not go exclusively to the Noc Mods/CMod but into a forum where *all* mods can see it. For me this is an issue as it means many other mods are likely to see it before it can be given attention by a mod from this forum. Fair enough if something is very obvious or very urgent as it's a way that the Admins may get to see it or someone can act on it immediately...

But what if it's not?? What if it's a less obvious issue - such as what some people see as bullying and others don't as is the case here?? And what, for example, if the user or users implicated are mods of another forum or close friends with mods? I know this is something that has prevented me reporting posts in the past (in various fora on Boards) because I don't want to inflict the wrath of another user or users on myself. I know the Mod forum is supposed to be private but in my experience human nature means there are no guarantees.

I know these are issues that the Mods here can't fix and I'm not asking them to but I also know that it's why when I see an issue I will generally PM a mod rather that report it. Generally I choose the mod I feel will be online at the earliest - e.g Shim during the day, Randy in the middle of the night. I've never considered PMing all the mods to be honest...

Sorry for the rambly post! :o Still not sure it makes sense but I am very tired.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok, here we go.

I've passed this through the other mods. We're all on the same page with this. I am willing to take feedback on it and listen to reason but In truth I can't see another solution.

Can I ask, what exactly can we report a post for?

Recently had a rant to boyf about reading particular types of posts in a forum which dragged the whole place down (not necessarily in here) and boyf said 'why didn't you report?'. I don't want to push the big scary button over stupid things, but I can't help but wonder if we pushed it more often, maybe boards and the noc would be a nicer place to lounge about...

You can report any post that you feel like.

Technically if you spammed the hell out of the mods we could politely ask you to stop :) But I have done that exactly zero times since I became a mod.

Think of reporting a post as 1 of 2 things:

Going "Mr. Mod I think you need to look at this and take a decision on it" or creating a bit of a paper trail for people to address if something is building up gradually.

This is a perfect example of the problems mentioned by Randy and Shiminay.

I don't know anything about any of this. I haven't seen any of it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because I know how easily it does. A clique is not by definition a bad thing IMO- clique is pretty much another word for friends on the interwebs- but an exclusionary clique is.

In future, if things are annoying people, if there's a bit of sniping or whatever starting to sneak in, you really, really need to report it, as Shiminay said, to everyone.

I used to be as much user as mod but my life took some changes and I can't sit in here like I used to. So now I am more mod than user, I need others to be my eyes and ears. More importantly than that this forum belongs to and is made by the people who use it. It's ok to feel somewhat responsible for it.

Now, onto what I have been thinking based on what I have been told.

The primary rule we're told to mod off is "don't be a dick". This is delibrately nebulous as, ultimately, a mod needs to be able to decide when someone is being a dick or not. There's no getting around this: there has to be a human decision about when someone is being a dick or not.

It seems people here are saying others have been acting the dick. To be honest it's such a mess with so little evidence and seems to be reaching back a bit so I don't know what we CAN do about the past.

What I'd like to do is to agree on a brand new day and start over here and today.

If you promise to do your bit to the best of your ability, I promise to do mine.

I've tried to post a few times but haven't quite been able to make sense so please bear with me.

One major problem I see with the 'report posts' function is the fact that the report does not go exclusively to the Noc Mods/CMod but into a forum where *all* mods can see it. For me this is an issue as it means many other mods are likely to see it before it can be given attention by a mod from this forum. Fair enough if something is very obvious or very urgent as it's a way that the Admins may get to see it or someone can act on it immediately...

But what if it's not?? What if it's a less obvious issue - such as what some people see as bullying and others don't as is the case here?? And what, for example, if the user or users implicated are mods of another forum or close friends with mods? I know this is something that has prevented me reporting posts in the past (in various fora on Boards) because I don't want to inflict the wrath of another user or users on myself. I know the Mod forum is supposed to be private but in my experience human nature means there are no guarantees.

I know these are issues that the Mods here can't fix and I'm not asking them to but I also know that it's why when I see an issue I will generally PM a mod rather that report it. Generally I choose the mod I feel will be online at the earliest - e.g Shim during the day, Randy in the middle of the night. I've never considered PMing all the mods to be honest...

Sorry for the rambly post! :o Still not sure it makes sense but I am very tired.

Ok, how can I put this.

I have access to every single reported post on boards but to actually sort through that forum would be a massive pain in the arse. There's hundreds a day if not thousands. No one is going to be sitting their waiting to read another mods posts.

If a mod abuses the reported post forum to defend themselves they face at very least the emnity of their peers as it's a big faux pas to do that.

If they pass information from their out they face demodification if caught, if memory serves.

If a reported post was about someone I didn't feel I could be impartial about I would ask a co mods opinion.

It's not perfect but we do what we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I think starting over and letting this go is a good idea. Reading posts about negative experiences people have had about one or two nocs is making most of us paranoid about whether or not we've ever unintentionally excluded someone or made a dig.

I will most certainly be more inclined to use the report post function, I've only ever reported spam before because I don't like to cause a fuss but I'd certainly rather report something to avoid another episode like this.

I'd ask in return that mods possibly interact a little more where ye can... Not saying yer not doing yer jobs, but just even so ye can see what the quality of posts/convo is like, and frankly because each of the mods are valued contributors to the forum and I for one love to see that ye have posted, yer well missed ;)

Also love Nerin's suggestion of reopening old threads and getting stuck back in, in saying that everyone go play Last Man Standing right now :pac:, more of those *comic dude VS comic dude* threads would be cool (for those of you in the know) and maybe there should be a meet-up soon?

I think starting over and letting this go is a good idea. Reading posts about negative experiences people have had about one or two nocs is making most of us paranoid about whether or not we've ever unintentionally excluded someone or made a dig.

I will most certainly be more inclined to use the report post function, I've only ever reported spam before because I don't like to cause a fuss but I'd certainly rather report something to avoid another episode like this.

I'd ask in return that mods possibly interact a little more where ye can... Not saying yer not doing yer jobs, but just even so ye can see what the quality of posts/convo is like, and frankly because each of the mods are valued contributors to the forum and I for one love to see that ye have posted, yer well missed ;)

Also love Nerin's suggestion of reopening old threads and getting stuck back in, in saying that everyone go play Last Man Standing right now :pac:, more of those *comic dude VS comic dude* threads would be cool (for those of you in the know) and maybe there should be a meet-up soon?

Personally I would love to be around a lot more but there's personal issues at play which are eating a lot of my spare time.

I will try to keep a more regular eye though.

I wouldn't mind more comicy nerd talk around the place. Never enough, really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Ah lads...

• Advertisement
Advertisement