Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism in Dail Eireann?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭

Just came across an article this morning concerning a meeting being held this evening in which only female TDs and Senators are welcome.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1109/1224307250653.html

Fair play to Labour TD Joanna Tuffy who is boycotting the event.

I think this whole thing is very poorly thought out, and if females were excluded there would be a huge media storm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Our agenda is to try and improve women’s representation in the Oireachtas – the Dáil and the Seanad – and to increase women’s representation in local elections,” she said.
    There are plenty of male politicians who also have that agenda and/or who would support it.

It makes absolutely no sense therefore to actively exclude men from any such meeting, since they have just as much stake in it as women do.

Fair play to Tuffy for calling this out for what it is - a perfect example of the double-standard sexism that women's groups so often engage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yea it's fairly pathetic alright.
    Clearly these "representatives of the people" couldn't careless about the voice of fellow members of their sex that voted for male officials. :rolleyes:

Ignorance & elitist: fantastic, just what we are short of in politics.

seamus wrote: »
    There are plenty of male politicians who also have that agenda and/or who would support it.
    ...who are the elected representives of other women don't forget!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The ringleader here is the same Mary Mitchell O'Connor who drove up the plinth and steps of Leinster House. Her judgement clearly isn't the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan has said political parties will have to implement a 30 per cent gender quota for general election candidates or else face severe financial penalties.

He has proposed that State funding for parties will be cut by half unless at least 30 per cent of the candidates they put forward are women.

would it not make more sense to have someone that is more suited to the job doing it rather than imposing a gender quota??

i'm not saying it to belittle women, i wouldnt think anything of it if the seats in the dail were 70% female to to 30% male. i just think its a stupid idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

joe stodge wrote: »

would it not make more sense to have someone that is more suited to the job doing it rather than imposing a gender quota??

i'm not saying it to belittle women, i wouldnt think anything of it if the seats in the dail were 70% female to to 30% male. i just think its a stupid idea.

A bold statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

hardybuck wrote: »
    Fair play to Labour TD Joanna Tuffy who is boycotting the event.

She was on the radio yesterday saying it was awful and shouldn't be allowed. If it was reversed there'd be uproar. She also doesn't agree with gender quotas because it's the wrong way to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

So a bunch of women who work in a certain place are getting together to discuss and share their subjective experiences of working there as women and to see if there are any changes which should be made and could be made to the working conditions or culture which may encourage more women to consider running for office.

This is the first step in the process and it could be they will come out saying, sure everything grand, or they may end up with a list of a few thing which they can then work with everyone on getting suggestions to make changes.

I don't see how this is sexist, if a group of male nurses who are in the minority in a hospital want to have a meeting along the same I don't see how it's sexist.

If it was a group of T.D.s who were LGBT want to have a meeting along the same lines then I don't see what the issue is.

If T.D.s who are parents wanted to have a meeting along the same lines then I don't see what the issue is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

in the last election 15% of candidates were women, and they got 13.5% of the seats.
    if the electorate wanted female TDs, they would have voted for them.

Sharrow wrote: »
    So a bunch of women ...
    You ommited the important part: they banned people from attending due to their sex. They silenced the opinions of elected representitives because of their sex.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    You ommited the important part: they banned people from attending due to their sex. They silenced the opinions of elected representitives because of their sex.

The remaining 141 T.D.s who were oppressed by the invitation to 25 female T.D.s will probably get over it.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The remaining 141 T.D.s who were oppressed by the invitation to 25 female T.D.s will probably get over it.
    That’s very much not the point. Democracy isn't about oppressing voices.
    And besides, what of the all the women those 141 TD represent?

Their voice shouldn't be heard because the person they wanted to represent them has a penis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

This has happened a few times now, Ivana Bacik was involved in similar:

Senator Ivana Bacik: This prison seems to be forging ahead without anyone questioning whether we need these places. I was going to use the “L” word but I hesitate to use it, other Members of the House having fallen into problems, so I will say that misinformation rather than lies have been told about the need for more prison places in this country. The reality elsewhere shows us that if one builds bigger prisons, judges and sentences will fill them with people. This is the sad reality and we need to reappraise whether we need this many prisons, especially for women.

This week, we are fortunate to receive a visit from Baroness Jean Corston from the British House of Lords who produced a very radical report last year on women in prison and who recommended, after a very thorough review, that prison places for women should essentially be abolished and that there should just be a small number of small detention units for women. Otherwise, alternative sanctions should be used. We could very much learn from the lessons of that report.

I am happy to say that Baroness Corston will be visiting Leinster House on Thursday. Deputy Mary O’Rourke and I are hosting a meeting with her for all women Members of the Oireachtas. I am sorry that we cannot invite any male colleagues interested in this issue to the briefing with Baroness Corston.

You can read about it at http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/2008/05/20/unrevised1.pdf

That’s very much not the point. Democracy isn't about oppressing voices.
    And besides, what of the all the women those 141 TD represent?

Their voice shouldn't be heard because the person they wanted to represent them has a penis?

How is their voice being oppressed? This is a non governmental group. No man's role or rights in the Dail is being restricted.

So what sort of input will a td who is a man have in a discussion group which is about the experience of being a woman td in the dáil?

How is their voice being oppressed?
    Male TD's represent female members of society also. By banning males, you are banning the representitives of those female citizens.
    So what sort of input will a td who is a man have...?
    Well absolutly fucking none, because they were banned. :rolleyes:

Banning people - do any of you think thats a progressive action. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So what sort of input will a td who is a man have in a discussion group which is about the experience of being a woman td in the dáil?

Maybe you could ask that of the guy who was representing the Women's council on Newstalk yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've heard from sources that Joanna Tuffy has a weener.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

“It’s a women’s meeting and we are getting to know each other. Our agenda is to try and improve women’s representation in the Oireachtas – the Dáil and the Seanad – and to increase women’s representation in local elections,” she said.

That's not about the experience of women in the Oireachtas; it's about female representation. That's not a women's only issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How is their voice being oppressed? This is a non governmental group. No man's role or rights in the Dail is being restricted.

So why are they meeting in the Dail? Why not meet at someone's home and have a slumber party instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some of our more sensitive male political representatives must be weeping at this callous disregard for their empathy and sensitivity to the rights and inner feelings of women.

It's as monumental a cock-blocking move as banning sensitive men from the know your nerds thread in the TLL would be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Maybe you could ask that of the guy who was representing the Women's council on Newstalk yesterday.

He was a muppet. He said we need more male feminists.

That's not what we need. Feminism isn't about equality, it's about advancing female rights yet feminists bang on about how important equality is. Anyone who goes on about equality being so important should campaign for fewer rights in the situations where that would make things equal, but I haven't heard that happen yet. Feminism is about selfishness, not that there is anything wrong with being selfish, but that's what it is.

Male TD's represent female members of society also. By banning males, you are banning the representitives of those female citizens.

Well absolutly fucking none, because they were banned. :rolleyes:

Banning people - do any of you think thats a progressive action. :confused:

That isn't what it's about.

It's about the experiences they have had as females running for election and being in the Dáil, something which males just don't have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That isn't what it's about.

It's about the experiences they have had as females running for election and being in the Dáil, something which males just don't have.
    If that's all it's about then why are they meeting in the Dail?

It's about...
    Why ban men?

They are not meeting in the Dail chamber but one of the many meeting rooms, they all work there, they all work long hours it makes sense to have it in one of those rooms.

Why ban men?
    I repeat: why ban men?

Why ban men?

Say a bunch of fly fishermen are trying to have a meeting and someone who is an angler comes to the meeting, they will have to spend a lot of time explaining experiences to them as they just don't have the the experiences needed to take part in the discussions. Things which are important to the fly fishermen are going to seem trivial to the angler and having the angler there will slow up and side track the meeting dragging it off topic.

So the fly fishermen have a closed meeting for fly fishermen only.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Say a bunch of fly fishermen are trying to have a meeting and someone who is an angler comes to the meeting, they will have to spend a lot of time explaining experiences to them as they just don't have the the experiences needed to take part in the discussions. Things which are important to the fly fishermen are going to seem trivial to the angler and having the angler there will slow up and side track the meeting dragging it off topic.

So the fly fishermen have a closed meeting for fly fishermen only.

that is no comparison.

• Advertisement

So why are they meeting in the Dail? Why not meet at someone's home and have a slumber party instead?

because they all go to the same place every day?

Advertisement