Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't the DART Aerodynamic?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭

Aside from being the ugliest trains probably on the planet didn't they stop building them like this 100 years ago or more because its a massive waste of energy to push a flat face like that along at high speeds? Has anyone ever seen anything written about this? Surely it wouldn't have cost much to put a pointed nose on them and would it have paid for itself seeing as they run for years and years? Even the LUAS is a bit streamlined and that doesn't go very fast.

BrayDART.JPG

Ugh, they're so horrible, I cringe when I see them pulling in. The interiors are even worse aswell. I think they must have cut the cleaning budget recently or something because they all stink of piss these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The DART units don't get much opportunity to travel at high speed and the appearance is standard enough for commuter units. The pic you use is of the first, and by far the most pleasing, of the DART units to enter service back in 1984 - quality German engineering. As for all smelling of....I'll take your word for that but I haven't noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The DART units don't get much opportunity to travel at high speed and the appearance is standard enough for commuter units. The pic you use is of the first, and by far the most pleasing, of the DART units to enter service back in 1984 - quality German engineering. As for all smelling of....I'll take your word for that but I haven't noticed.

Please don't mention the Germans right now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Probably because that would actually make sense. We can't have that now can we? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I was watching a docu about the famous steam trains like the flying scotsman and the mallard lately. There was an obsession with speed at the time because of competition between rail companies and this led to aerodynamic styling of the locomotive.

For setting records it proved useful but it was a pain in the arse to remove them when you wanted to service the boiler etc. After a while they were abandoned for practical reasons and they didn't really make much of a difference for day to day operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

DART generally doesn't go fast enough for it to matter.

I actually like the look of the one in your picture. Very NY subway or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭chooochooo

beautiful chunky design. interior smart - travel everyday and never got any smell. thargor delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Doesn't affect low speed DART's.
    Aerodynamic is only used for high speed vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

TheUsual wrote: »
    Doesn't affect low speed DART's.
    Aerodynamic is only used for high speed vehicles.

Most trucks on the roads have flat faces and they travel much faster than the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Aerodynamic fairings decrease the useful length of the vehicle (because the driving cab has to be set back)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because for trains under 90mph aerodynamics basically don't matter. Rolling resistance of the wheels and momentum is much more important.

I was reading a thread on this on ModelRailForum the other day* and that was basically the answer (was to do with HSTs running single power unit rather than both)

The "aero" shape of the Luas is for the crash structure at the ends as it runs on roads, rail vehicles don't need this cos a crash structure will do nothing against the momentum of a couple hundred tons of train.

* can't find it though
    here it is http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17600&st=0&start=0
    post 9 onwards in particular is where it's mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Opinicus wrote: »
    I was watching a docu about the famous steam trains like the flying scotsman and the mallard lately. There was an obsession with speed at the time because of competition between rail companies and this led to aerodynamic styling of the locomotive.

For setting records it proved useful but it was a pain in the arse to remove them when you wanted to service the boiler etc. After a while they were abandoned for practical reasons and they didn't really make much of a difference for day to day operation.

it was mostly about styling rather han aerodynamics. Witness the post war
    A1 pacifics which reverted to the standard classical layout.

(cue video of Tornado...any excuse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0w06rSXTYg

Opinicus wrote: »

that was streamlining to make it look stylish, not to make it go faster (well primarily for styling, it did of course make a small difference to overall efficiency and speed)

Also the flying Scotsman was never streamlined, other of the same class were however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Maybe when Jackie Healy-Rae gets his way and the Dart is extended to Kerry IE will start considering a more streamlined design?

Gotta say it, I love the look of the Dart, especially the older units.

that was streamlining to make it look stylish, not to make it go faster (well primarily for styling, it did of course make a small difference to overall efficiency and speed)

Also the flying Scotsman was never streamlined, other of the same class were however.

no...A3s (and the Original A1s later classed as A10s) were never stremalined.Only the A4s, the W1 and a couple of B16s (i think its B16 cant be arrsed to check :-) )bore streamlining

the Cock o the North was sort of semi-streamlined.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=cock+of+the+north&um=1&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enIE378IE378&biw=1015&bih=580&tbm=isch&tbnid=ExfE61AprwQp0M:&imgrefurl=http://www.lner.info/locos/P/p2.shtml&docid=uKstThWTfjT_QM&imgurl=http://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/P/p2_cockothenorth.gif&w=440&h=601&ei=mNi7Tr6QIoWZhQe7so3PBw&zoom=1

On The LMSR certain Princess Coronation classs locos were stream lined , this was subsequently removed but has been re-applied to Duchess of Hamilton recently

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=duchess+streamlined&hl=en&sa=G&biw=1015&bih=580&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=zpcJs09JOQSwaM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/31339850%40N06/3541486389/&docid=WrdCcfXoHfjx1M&imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/3541486389_ac4efa446f.jpg&w=500&h=335&ei=gde7TsfoJsmmhAeAhMimBw&zoom=1

On the GWR a King and a Castle were tarted up with psedo-streamlining

On the SR the West Country and Merchant Navy classes in their original form were termed as "air-smoothed".

AngryLips wrote: »
    Maybe when Jackie Healy-Rae gets his way and the Dart is extended to Kerry IE will start considering a more streamlined design?

Gotta say it, I love the look of the Dart, especially the older units.

not all that bad an idea, the Kenmare line must have been spectacular!

corktina wrote: »
    no...A3s (and the Original A1s later classed as A10s) were never stremalined.

Indeed, I stand corrected. I had misread the paragraph, it had read "compared to the non streamlined A3 locomotives..." I had thought this meant some of the class were and some weren't...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Interesting thread but think Infrastructure forum isn't probably the most appropriate place, as the discussion is more on the train units themselves as oppose to the (fixed) infrastructure of the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I remember seeing pictures on the web (probably on a now defunct fotopic site) of LHB built EMUs in I think Germany (but maybe somewhere in Eastern Europe, sorry, it's a long time since I saw it!) which were very similar to the 8100 DARTs. Maybe it was a standard design or something, modified for the Irish gauge. Have to say I like the look of them, though preferred it before they were modified - it looks more cluttered now, but that's a small price if any to pay considering the improvements made. Wouldn't call them ugly though, in fact I'd regard the 8520s are far more "ugly" looking. But then again I should remember that this is a public transport system, not an art exhibition!

The 8200s have a somewhat streamlined look about them, I like the look of them too, of course they'd look even better if they actually did anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The other thing is that DARTs are modular - they can be either single-unit trains or combined. It doesn't make sense to have aerodynamic cabs on trains which spend most of their time as combos. On the other hand if IE ever bought 8-car EMU sets it would probably make sense to have a slight nose at either end since the train would likely be a permanent consist like a 22000 class.

In Toronto the existing T & H series subway trains are 6 car consists of 3 x 2 units and the guard stands in the cab of a mid-train driving trailer,

250px-Davisville_T1.jpg

but the new units are 6 car units and have driving cabs only in front and rear so have a shallow nose.
    BT-3478-Toronto.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Thargor wrote: »
    Aside from being the ugliest trains probably on the planet didn't they stop building them like this 100 years ago or more because its a massive waste of energy to push a flat face like that along at high speeds? Has anyone ever seen anything written about this? Surely it wouldn't have cost much to put a pointed nose on them and would it have paid for itself seeing as they run for years and years? Even the LUAS is a bit streamlined and that doesn't go very fast.
    BrayDART.JPG

Ugh, they're so horrible, I cringe when I see them pulling in. The interiors are even worse as well. blah blah blah
    Since when does the DART travel at anything resembling "high speeds"...? The top speed is 62 mph and the average speed is somewhere in the 25-mph range. The energy required to overcome air drag is very minimal.

And if you want to talk about practical front-end aerodynamics at high speeds, that's mostly to prevent front-end lift more than worrying about energy to overcome air drag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think aerodynamics do make a difference at low speeds, if I wear normal clothes on my roadbike to get to work I feel like I have a parachute on my back slowing me down compared to wearing my proper gear.

I think aerodynamics do make a difference at low speeds, if I wear normal clothes on my roadbike to get to work I feel like I have a parachute on my back slowing me down compared to wearing my proper gear.

that's because your front section compared to total mass is quite large, your weight and power and momentum is also very low.

For a train weighing hundreds of tonnes with basically unlimited power (for the purposes of argument) aero resistance does not matter at all at low speed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The DART is wearing skintight clothes - no flapping bits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Aerodynamics only matter at speeds greater than 80mph (130kph), and DART does not need to go that fast. What DART and Commuter trains on that kind of stop-start every 2km or so pattern is acceleration.

There is a rationale in a way to the opening argument on aerodynamic styling. It is from the perspective of public relations and branding. Take the new 22K DMU's. They are the best looking train to appear in Ireland for many years.

As for anyone saying "DART" is ugly. Its not meant to be pretty, its meant to do a job, one which it does quite well. Thats an inherent beauty in its own right. Noone can conceive of life in Dublin without DART. But I remember when the original units arrived in 1983, and they were the coolest thing since sliced bread compared to virtually everything on Irish tracks at that time (mind, I had a soft spot for the NIR Enterprise in those days...nicknamed the Beller)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The original LHB units were and still are fantastic looking units. Whilst EMU/DMU's are not my thing i have a soft spot for the originals(not the Spanish & Jap ones since though).

I particularly loved when they sported briefly the Red & White buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

But it runs on electricity, would there not be a direct measurable effect of having it cut through the air a bit that would add up as it ran for years and years? I go out to Bray all the time and it runs for long distances there at high speeds. Also if you mention a train please post a pic of it!

Actually now that I think of it the electricity bit makes no sense, you could measure any kind of fuel for an effect, but my other point about it adding up over the years stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I go out to Bray all the time and it runs for long distances there at high speeds.

40km/h isn't a high speed. That's roughly what they do between Shankill and Bray. They barely move between Greystones and Bray, due to the fact the cliffs are literally all of about 25cm from the tracks in places, now.

As an aside, IR should really, really reline that section of rail along Bray Head soon, a bit of steady, hard rain would seriously compromise the safety of commuters..

But it runs on electricity, would there not be a direct measurable effect of having it cut through the air a bit that would add up as it ran for years and years? I go out to Bray all the time and it runs for long distances there at high speeds.
    I'm sure there is but it's so small that it makes no difference. And again to clarify the DART doesn't run at high speed
    Also if you mention a train please post a pic of it!
    why, if you don't know what it is google it. Most people here know what the unit mentioned are already, no point posting pictures for no reason

Actually now that I think of it the electricity bit makes no sense, you could measure any kind of fuel for an effect, but my other point about it adding up over the years stands.

Why don't you go and ask IE or Siemens why ther is no need for areo since you won't believe what anybody here has to say on it.

Aero is insignificant for trains at low speeds. Their narrow face combined with their sheer weight overcomes any small areo drag.
    Why not question why buses and (most) trucks aren't? much more relevant to them as their faces are much bigger in comparison to overall volume and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

They should also make the Dublin Bus fleet aerodynamic ...and all the trucks on the roads.

The original Dart carriages remind me a bit of the old Berlin U-bahn, two of the nicest metro designs around.

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    They should also make the Dublin Bus fleet aerodynamic ...and all the trucks on the roads.

how do you propose they do that then?

(aside from minor improvements like the cab top deflectors and streamlined trailers, both which are already common)

Advertisement