Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlos The Jackal goes on trial

Options
  • 07-11-2011 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

The 3 part movie on him is well worth viewing!

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=85556
    The 62-year-old Venezuelan, whose real name is Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, went before a special Paris court on terrorism charges.

He is accused of instigating four attacks in 1982 and 1983 that killed 11 people and injured more than 140 others.

Wearing a blue jacket, greying beard and wavy hair brushed back, Ramirez raised a fist in defiance, wove in anti-Zionist rhetoric into his diatribes and smiled back to someone in the tightly controlled audience in the chamber.

"He's in a fighting mood as always," Isabelle Coutant-Peyre, Ramirez's lawyer and partner, told reporters outside the courtroom before the trial began. She said there was "no reason" for the trial nearly 30 years after the events, and accused French prosecutors of putting him on trial for "propaganda or some other interests rather than the ones of justice."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8874247/Carlos-the-Jackal-tells-court-in-Paris-Im-a-professional-revolutionary.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I thought Jason Bourne killed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The Appalachian one? That's some going at his age!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Carlos: "Yep, jes gonna mosey on down the trail!"

But seriously, I keep meaning to watch that film.

I wonder what kind of sentence he'll get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It was Bruce Willis all the time was it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Studied the man for decades. The list of stuff he's responsible for is unreal.
    A number of films have been made about his long career in terrorism.

Read the following book on him: http://www.amazon.com/Tracking-Jackal-Search-Carlos-Worlds/dp/0679425594
    Well recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It was Bruce Willis all the time was it not?

No it was Edward Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No it was Edward Fox.

Didn't he play the part of "The Jackal"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder what kind of sentence he'll get?

Maybe he'll get "You have been found Not Guilty by the jury, Mr Illyich Sanchez, and are free to leave the court without a stain upon your character".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Didn't he play the part of "The Jackal"?

He did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Cormic wrote: »

Bourne's record keeping is sketchy at best.

• Advertisement

Maybe he'll get "You have been found Not Guilty by the jury, Mr Illyich Sanchez, and are free to leave the court without a stain upon your character".

He won't be free to leave anywhere. He's already in prison for on two life sentences for previous terrorist actions.
    Add to that, other countries want to get him into their courts officially.
    (I say "officially" because he could possible bring down a government or two with the secrets he holds of whom he has worked for previously unofficially)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He still looks cool enough for his age. He needs to get the old fly shades on again though.

Got to feel for him as well: unemployed for years and then getting busted just as the global terrorism market was on the upturn again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I once asked a group of French colleagues about Carlos the Jackal.
    "Who??"
    "You know that bomber guy who shot two secret agents. Really famous, looks like Roy Orbison?"
    "Ah him, of course."
    "You don't call him Carlos the Jackal?"
    "Euh, no, we call him called Carlos the Terrorist"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No it was Edward Fox.

Disguised as Bruce Willis?

Biggins wrote: »
    He won't be free to leave anywhere. He's already in prison for on two life sentences for previous terrorist actions.
    Add to that, other countries want to get him into their courts officially.
    (I say "officially" because he could possible bring down a government or two with the secrets he holds of whom he has worked for previously unofficially)

When he gets found not guilty on this, it'll call in question the earlier convictions. The international warrants will fall apart on the same basis.

He will then travel to America to sue the late Robert Ludlums estate for damages about how ridiculously uncool he was made look in the third book.

Then onwards to South America and the revolution will resume.

When he gets found not guilty on this, it'll call in question the earlier convictions. The international warrants will fall apart on the same basis.

He will then travel to America to sue the late Robert Ludlums estate for damages about how ridiculously uncool he was made look in the third book.

Even if he walked free from precious convictions, there is a number of outstanding warrants on his head and extradition demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The guy was arrested in 1994 and theyre only bringing him to trial now :confused:

Wouldnt it be right gas if he turns out to be innocent :eek:

He can come here under the alias Carlos The Jackeen. He can do a few useful jobs, and for a change not many people will complain about an immigrant coming here to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Trial day of the jackal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Cormic wrote: »

nah he didn't kill him. it was the russians who were able to close off that tunnel with thick glass walls at either end, and then they filled it with water.
    bourne should've killed him in new york at the end of bourne identity though.

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The guy was arrested in 1994 and theyre only bringing him to trial now :confused:

This isn't his first trial - he was found guilty in 1998 of a mid 1970s Paris murder of two policemen and an informant.

I hope someone busts him out of the courtroom so's he can make another movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Anyone else notice a resemblance between Carlos (pic link) and Kevin Mitnick (mugshot when on the run) ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a resemblance between Carlos (pic link) and Kevin Mitnick (mugshot when on the run) ?

The French definitely grabbed the wrong guy. They're feckin useless and should stick to eating cheese and running away.

I'd hate to be the person defending him.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

yea theres so many jackals, movies and stuff, very confusing

I'd love to know what he thought of the movie staring Bruce Willis, where he dies at the end. Must be kinda strange to watch yourself being killed in a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Richard Gere was some form of jackal type entity too I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'd hate to be the person defending him.

Especially considering he's boning his lawyer! You'd have to change your nick to sorearsebogman! :pac:

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Richard Gere was some form of jackal type entity too I'm sure.

Carlos The Gigolo?

Advertisement