Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice or Rats between floors !

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yel_cab wrote: »
    where can i put them outside where the wind wont blow away??
    Up against the wall, it should not be effected by wind as much but it is also the recommended place as they scurry alongside walls. Also they like to go into pipes, if you have old wavin pipe you could have it against the wall with a brick against it. Or the box as mentioned.
    yel_cab wrote: »
    :( Oh and what you think is the best traps for the mice/rats??
    I think the old school wooden ones, I got them in a €2 shop. I got fancy looking plastic ones in woodies which never triggered. They have to be the verge of snapping, you can test this by snapping them with a pencil yourself. you can also set them while wearing thick gloves so you are not as nervous about triggering them.

I did snap my finger on one, it was sore but no injury, while a rat trap is a different story and could break your finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The good old fashioned snap traps are by far the best. Bait them with something that's hard to get off; I find that ham and cheese spread works well, as does hot buttered toast, tied on. Some people swear by chocolate.

Humane traps are, at best, only relocating the problem to someone else's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

I'm changing my bait to peanut butter at the weekend and also decided to put a loo roll down next to the hole they are coming from with the trap the other side so they will come through the tube and really only see the end of the trap with the bait on. Leaving the trap in the open isn't working at all !

There is mouse poo all over the floor near it so they are coming into the loft still just not taking the bait !

Today there was one behind the dog kennel and the dogs were going nuts trying to get it so he legged it next door, I have a feeling he wont be coming back anytime soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

Finally caught one !

decided to change the bait this morning and when I went up one piece of bacon rind was gone ( without setting the trap off ) and other ... well ... it wasn't pretty :( not sure what I was expecting but nothing quite so Ewwwwww :(

as I was cleaning up another mouse was running back and forth above my head beneath the roof lining.

will have to see how the peanut butter bait fairs with them now .

Advertisement