Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Readers, do you have one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Nope. And I've made a huge song and dance about not getting one in front of family and friends so I have to stick to my guns :mad:

I was a trainee librarian for a year and a half and was supposed to do a Masters in Dublin to qualify (yes...qualified Librarians have Masters degrees...it's not just about stamping books and looking cross/sexy and saying shhh in a cranky/sexy way to users you know!) but changed my mind at the last minute, so I'd be a massive supporter of public libraries and I'd hate to see libraries as we know them disappear. Thing is, I've been suspended from my local library here for another week for bringing a book back late and books in English are ridiculously expensive here, so one would probably come in handy...

I'm a library assistant (almost finished my masters) and personally I don't like the idea of ebooks. I can see the benefits and I think that for things like text books it would be fantastic but, for pleasure reading, I couldn't do it. However, I do think that libraries need to move with the times and embrace ebooks. I don't think it'll cause the demise of the library as we know it; people said the same about the internet and that hasn't happened. If anything the internet has improved the service that libraries can provide. I think there will always be a market for physical books.

The authority that I work for will be launching their ebook service soon and the only problem I see with it is the Kindle. The ebook format that the libraries are going for can't be used on a Kindle. Unfortunately, most people who have enquired about the impending service believe ebook = kindle. Having to tell them they can't use it is not very pleasant. Then trying to explain that the Kindle is an Amazon product and Amazon sell their own ebooks...they don't really understand. Amazon have reached an agreement in the US to provide ebooks to public libraries via Overdrive (which is the the supplier we'll be using) but of course, this is a new development and it's a long way from being implemented on this side of the Atlantic.

(ps: In Ireland you don't need the Masters to be a librarian, you just need the hDip. but most qualifying these days have the Masters :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm not sure E-books will wipe off the traditional paperback at all. Libraries being that quiet kind of place to read a book wont change either as there will always be that division in the public between the E-book and traditional paperback.

You've made a great point though. I'm only doing it because I need to save space.

I dunno about that. Libraries are already getting less funds in all countries that provide the service...if governments can do it cheaper by making resources available online, then they will.

We'll see. Who knows. The reason I changed my mind on my career choice was because my boss in the library I worked in told me there was no future in public libraries and I'd have problems finding work in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I'm a library assistant (almost finished my masters) and personally I don't like the idea of ebooks. I can see the benefits and I think that for things like text books it would be fantastic but, for pleasure reading, I couldn't do it. However, I do think that libraries need to move with the times and embrace ebooks. I don't think it'll cause the demise of the library as we know it; people said the same about the internet and that hasn't happened. If anything the internet has improved the service that libraries can provide. I think there will always be a market for physical books.

The authority that I work for will be launching their ebook service soon and the only problem I see with it is the Kindle. The ebook format that the libraries are going for can't be used on a Kindle. Unfortunately, most people who have enquired about the impending service believe ebook = kindle. Having to tell them they can't use it is not very pleasant. Then trying to explain that the Kindle is an Amazon product and Amazon sell their own ebooks...they don't really understand. Amazon have reached an agreement in the US to provide ebooks to public libraries via Overdrive (which is the the supplier we'll be using) but of course, this is a new development and it's a long way from being implemented on this side of the Atlantic.

(ps: In Ireland you don't need the Masters to be a librarian, you just need the hDip. but most qualifying these days have the Masters :))

Interesting to hear some insight into that world at the moment. It's been 4 years since I've worked in that area.

Sorry, I know you don't have to have a Masters specifically, I meant to say a 3rd level qualification as most people think you don't need any kind of qualification as all they believe that's involved is stamping books. I applied for the Masters in 2007 and was accepted...we might have been class mates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Interesting to hear some insight into that world at the moment. It's been 4 years since I've worked in that area.

Sorry, I know you don't have to have a Masters specifically, I meant to say a 3rd level qualification as most people think you don't need any kind of qualification as all they believe that's involved is stamping books. I applied for the Masters in 2007 and was accepted...we might have been class mates!

Heh, I'm doing it via distance learning in Aberystwyth so I can work full-time. I could never afford the costs of taking a year out to go to UCD. Today is actually my 5th anniversary of the day I started working in the libraries.

Things are tough at the moment and your boss does have a point. It's not something I would recommend people jumping into without having a real love for the job, purely because, as you pointed out yourself, it's not what most people think it is. It's not a cushy number where we sit around reading, or shushing people or stamping books. Things are tough in the area at the moment with the embargo, the paycuts and the retirement of people with many years service and a wealth of experience. There are no promotions in the near future and it's not the type of job where you will earn good money.

After 5 years I'm on a little over 28k. I would never get a mortgage and if I wanted to start a family now I don't think I could cope. So career wise, at the moment, there is very little happening in the libraries and I don't see that changing for quite a while. That being said, I really do like my job and I have no plans to leave it :)

Anyway, to bring this somewhat back on-topic, I do think libraries are changing and new technology is part of that change. We recently got self-service machines in my branch. Some borrowers love them, some hate them. Ebooks will be the same. Some will be delighted with the new service but there will always be people that will prefer the physical books and the atmosphere of the library itself. I've read some horrible articles from people in the UK about the library closures over there and they are always full of the same old crap of "what can I get in a library that I can't get online?" These people miss the point of what a library provides; it's a space for children who want to read large, colourful, beautifully illustrated books, it's for storytime and arts and crafts, it's for computer classes for those who don't have computers at home (and there are plenty of those people out there), it's for people who are trying to learn English, and it's for people who simply need a quiet place to study. Ebooks aren't going to take that away.

Libraries are a place of huge importance to a community, even if the entire community doesn't know it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, three.
    One Kindle and two Sony E-readers.
    Have read loads since I got them. So easy to fly through books now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

how can you judge someone on the kind of books they read or whether they read at all if they've got an ebook?

Simple. Just read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I have both a Sony ebook reader, as well as a tablet. Both serve different purposes. I would not be overly inclined to take out my tablet on the tube, but an quite happy to read away on the ebook reader.

The Sony I have fits perfectly in a suit pocket, is fairly light (the new models are even lighter), and can last up to 1 month without charging. The tablet on the other hand is fairly heavy and lasts about 8 - 9 hours. It is backlit, so can be used without a light while the ereader is not.

I prefer the Sony for reading books as it takes less effort to use i.e. it is so light to carry that you just take it out and you are off reading.

Most books can be converted with free software that works on both Linux, Macs and Windows http://calibre-ebook.com/

Some libraries are now doing online loans of ebooks, I believe that Dublin library is one.

I have not tried a Kindle but apparently one advantage is that you can sync the books you download to any device you can install the software on e.g. the kindle itself, some mobile phone, tablets and pc's.

The only issue I might have with the Kindle is the whole 1984 issue, and who really controls your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I have one but I don't use it that much because it hurts my eyes and gives me awful headaches. I have bad eyesight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Einhard wrote: »
    That's one of the reasons I dislike them. I could never get rid of a book I've read. I love having books lining the walls. My dream is to have one of those fancy walnut paneled, two-storey libraries with the sliding ladder on it! And all the books will be hard back, without their duskjackets, and there'll be a massive antique globe in the middle of the room, beside the whiskey cabinet with crystal decanter.

Sigh. A man can dream.

You're doing it wrong: everyone knows the globe opens up so the whiskey can be stored inside. Then after a few you can have fun on the moving mahogany ladder of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

How many of you have these E-Readers? I was gonna get one for my wife as she is mad into reading books and taking up space in my house with them.

I thought this E-reader would be a good idea to reduce that and at the same time serve as a lovely present that I'll get weeks of peace out of.

So...Are they worth the money? easy to use? Easy to download books on?

Jam

Bought the wife a Kindle for her birthday earlier in the year. She is an avid book reader, and has been for years. Pound for pound, the best present I have ever bought - she even says so herself. It is an incredible device. You can even download the first chapter of a book for free to see if it's for you. The Kindle really is a revelation. Go for it. But get the WiFi/3G unit with the keypad (which is invaluable).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Easier to read e-ink on a Kindle compared to an iPad.

Indeed. No-glare screen and the thing actually LOOKS like the pages of a book.
    LumpyGravy wrote: »
    The kindle has a battery life of up to 4 weeks and some have free 3g almost anywhere in the world.

Battery on smart phones last two days tops with huge roaming charges.

Plus the bigger screen.
    So with an E-reader you can only download certain books from certain sites depending upon the make of your reader? thats sounds crap.

Your best bet is to log onto Amazon and search for books that your wife has already bought. It will show you exactly how much is available. not really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Cant you just pirate books in pdf or whatever and convert them to kindle readable format ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,079 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Spunge wrote: »
    Cant you just pirate books in pdf or whatever and convert them to kindle readable format ?
    Surprisingly to some, but eReaders - devices created for the sole purpose of displaying books and documents in order to be read - have no real problems handling PDF files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Audiobooks ftw

Listen while you're on bus/train to work, stuck in an airport, whatever

Some of the actors are great, realy bring the stories to life

I don't have a kindle as audiobooks can do their job even better

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Yes,

2 Sony Readers an an iPad... we were developing serious space issues as a result of the number of books we have.

In my opinion, the monochrome screen of the sony devices is much more akin to reading a book and a lot easier on the eyes than looking at the bright ipad screen, and the battery life is phenomenal.
    The only thing I would say against the Sony readers is that the PC managment software for them is crap - but you don't have to use it as the reader can be mounted as a USB drive, or there is the previously mentioned Calibre software which is free, regularly updated and probably the best ebook library management software there is - it's a fantastic app.

The kindle I have no experience with. It looks like a nice device but is hampered by the ebook formats it can deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

mikemac wrote: »
    Audiobooks ftw

Listen while you're on bus/train to work, stuck in an airport, whatever

Some of the actors are great, realy bring the stories to life

I don't have a kindle as audiobooks can do their job even better

I love audiobooks, i can just lie in bed and listen to some awesome story without even needing to open my eyes. I pretty much only listen to sci-fi on audiobooks. The problem is though you need to find one with a good narrator, and the language of some books might be a bit too much for me to listen to id rather read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I use my ipad to read ebooks. The screen protector attached dulls the shine somewhat which is a help.

The sony reader screen looks really good.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Bought the wife a Kindle for her birthday earlier in the year. She is an avid book reader, and has been for years. Pound for pound, the best present I have ever bought - she even says so herself. It is an incredible device. You can even download the first chapter of a book for free to see if it's for you. The Kindle really is a revelation. Go for it. But get the WiFi/3G unit with the keypad (which is invaluable).

All true!
    zinzan wrote: »
    ...The kindle I have no experience with. It looks like a nice device but is hampered by the ebook formats it can deal with.
    Actually the Kindle can deal with a good number of formats - and using free "Calibre" you can use the rest.

Of the two kids I have (Sony E-reader and Kindle) I MUCH prefer the Kindle.

I agree by the way what you say about the screens. The Kindle too is better at displaying text and also has a better anti-glare sheen on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I read a lot but I've made it known among family and friends that I'll throw an eReader at anyone who gets me one :P

I just prefer the physicality of a real book and I like my collection on a shelf. I don't like having a digital library of books and don't plan on switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Often PDF files aren't formatted very well and make reading a nightmare.

Anywho, yup I bought a kindle and love it. If you know where to obtain books....for free... then it makes perfect sense if you have no conscience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Have a Kindle since last Christmas and it's class. I downloaded a file with 5000 books on it including every book from Stephen King, JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling, George RR Martin etc. and get every new release for free. The battery last for weeks and the built in dictionary is dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have a kindle, I couldn't be without it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

I have a kindle. And I love it. Best(and most treacherous) option is to be able to buy books and mags via kindle ;)
    I still prefer real books but it would be impossible to move so often with a small library. Also if I am not in the mood for a particular book it's easy to start/continue with another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I had a kindle until i sat on the fcuker and cracked the screen. Twas deadly, i'd over 900 books on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I won a kindle in a raffle.. Had no use for it so just donated it to a charity to be raffled again!!

I had a kindle until i sat on the fcuker and cracked the screen. Twas deadly, i'd over 900 books on it.

Ouch! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I have a Kindle and absolutly adore it for so many reasons.

I love reading but I often have several books on the go at once so it's great to have all my books in one place.

Plus many books are far cheaper on the kindle than in the shops.

The Kindle is the perfect size for your bag and doesn't take up nearly as much room as a book would.

I would highly recommend the Kindle to anyone who loves reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Kindle rocks. Will never have to buy a book again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kindles are great, if you read novels and the like, saves a ridiculous amount space. If you're into reference books and stuff that has illustrations then they're a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Loads of torrents out there with collections of books for the kindle. Be careful adding too many in one go. They can get stuck indexing and use up battery life very quickly.

Kindle is also a mp3 player. You can download audiobookes straight to it wirelessly if using audible.

A great site to get the most out your dreaded is mobileread.org. Great forum.

Advertisement