Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're not as rough as we used to be

Options
  • 06-11-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Well, would you agree with that statement?

We're not as rough as we used to be, we're not as wild as we used to be

in short we're not as paddyish as we used to be

I grew up in the Ireland of the 1980s, Ireland was rough and the Irish were rough..if you said anything remotely pro-english you would be lynched, people used to curse & swear all the time and have utter contempt for anyone trying to better themselves "who the hell do thay think they are":mad:

But with the onset of the celtic tiger we became more refined more sophisticated and less ignorant & backward than before literally overnight...and now with the big reccession looming maybe we'll revert back to what we're good at..begrudgery & cute whorish:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Are you implying money spoiled us good sir!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Everyone became too pc trying to become popular on the Internet.

I bet secretly, they're just as racist and anti English as their fathers/forfathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Everyone became too pc trying to become popular on the Internet.
    No everyone didn't. And if "everyone" did, that would include yourself.
    [/Quote]
    I bet secretly, they're just as racist and anti English as their fathers/forfathers.[/Quote]
    Oh I see it's not "everyone" now, it's "they".

Op, don't know - not obsessed with how I'm perceived by other nationalities. But I don't think I've become any more sophisticated in the last 20 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

fryup wrote: »
    Well, would you agree with that statement?

We're not as rough as we used to be, we're not as wild as we used to be

in short we're not as paddyish as we used to be

I grew up in the Ireland of the 1980s, Ireland was rough and the Irish were rough..if you said anything remotely pro-english you would be lynched, people used to curse & swear all the time and have utter contempt for anyone trying to better themselves "who the hell do thay think they are":mad:

But with the onset of the celtic tiger we became more refined more sophisticated and less ignorant & backward than before literally overnight...and now with the big reccession looming maybe we'll revert back to what we're good at..begrudgery & cute whorish:cool:
    Short version: We are over-complacent.

At times I must agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It only appears that way because as you get more mature your focus changes and that includes how you view others, and dare I say it you become more tolerant.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Someone has obviously never been to Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Oh dear oh dear my. Sir i dont know what on gods good earth one has been smoking. But one should really enjoy what we have.

Seriously boss i love acting like some fu ked up snob in my suit.
    then go back home and be who i really am.

Can Boards maybe set up a "We" Irish are xyz forum? Folks can bitch about their fellow countryfolk, speak for countless people they've never met, not lift a finger despite wanting change, and wallow in insecurity and their inferiority complex to their hearts' content - while exempting themselves from all these bitchfests despite being Irish too. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dudess wrote: »
    Can Boards maybe set up a "We" Irish are xyz forum? Folks can bitch about their fellow countryfolk, speak for countless people they've never met, not lift a finger despite wanting change, and wallow in insecurity and their inferiority complex to their hearts' content - while exempting themselves from all these bitchfests despite being Irish too. :)

Its nothing new to be honest.
    WB Yeats even penned a poem (if memory serves me right) about the Irish people and their oft unwillingness to do things or take a role in things. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Someone clearly listens to their iPod.

Ireland (and Britain too) is full of language that would make many Americans' hair curl!

We're far from polite or PC about language usage anyway.

I don't really buy into this notion that we're being push overs. We basically destroyed Fianna Fail earlier this year. That's like the British getting rid of the Tories or the Americans getting rid of the Republicans. It's almost unheard of on a global scale. FF were utterly dominant in Irish politics since the foundation of the state and now they're treated like some kind of bad smell.

I don't think Irish people have to protest as much as say the French, who were always lumbered with a 7-year quasi-king like President who could do almost anything and often did very unpopular things.

We've a nice healthy situation where the Government lives in daily fear of the electorate.

Just because we've more cop on than to burn half of Dublin or Cork or whatever down, does not mean that we're push-overs.

When push comes to shove, if the current Government does not perform, they'll also find themselves out on their rear ends.

We just don't have to be 'rough' to get things done.

Biggins wrote: »

WB Yeats even penned a poem (if memory serves me right) about the Irish people and their oft unwillingness to do things or take a role in things. :)
    Wonder what he took a role in, which put him in a position to whinge about his fellow countryfolk on that score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Op, don't know - not obsessed with how I'm perceived by other nationalities. But I don't think I've become any more sophisticated in the last 20 years.

Would you not have been a young child/early teen 20 years ago? So were you an extremely sophisticated young un' or are you still collecting stickers or cutting out pictures from Smash Hits because they are soooooooo dreamy :o:o:o:eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

Anywho...I think the country has become more sophisticated. We are more exposed to other cultures and to my eyes seem more worldly than before. There was a certain Irish person that would only eat meat and veg followed by an apple tart, who drank nothing but pints,Insert examples here etc etc.

Obviously we had some people that were sophisticated, but I think wider levels of education, greater exposure to different cultures etc has changed the nation. I know my parents would have been very unsophisticated 20 years ago and have changed massively in their tastes as the country changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭scatter

Having worked in u.k ,u.s.a,germany i think every country has its rough necks,whingers,begrudgers,backstabbers ,sc??bags,but thers the also decent ,honest,hard working people who want to try and have a decent life .But i wonder if any country that was part of a "super-power" before their independence suffer from an inferiority complex or something ,anyway thats just my tuppence worth.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

have utter contempt for anyone trying to better themselves "who the hell do thay think they are":mad:

That hasn't gone away you know

mikemac wrote: »
    have utter contempt for anyone trying to better themselves "who the hell do thay think they are":mad:

That hasn't gone away you know
    It's largely over-estimated too though. People who moan about Irish begrudgery seem more commonplace than actual begrudgers. Funny how despite it being so Irish apparently, so many Irish recoil at it. Part of the self loathing pattern I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Biggins wrote: »

Yeats what a true Irish legend:

There's me at the start of the clip too on him, quick to my 'claim to fame thread' to post this revelation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Someone has obviously never been to Mayo
    Yeah, you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kfallon wrote: »

There's me at the start of the clip too on him,

Shouldn't you be busy having an affair with your employer's wife?

You swine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Would you not have been a young child/early teen 20 years ago? So were you an extremely sophisticated young un' or are you still collecting stickers or cutting out pictures from Smash Hits because they are soooooooo dreamy :o:o:o:eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

Anywho...I think the country has become more sophisticated. We are more exposed to other cultures and to my eyes seem more worldly than before. There was a certain Irish person that would only eat meat and veg followed by an apple tart, who drank nothing but pints,Insert examples here etc etc.

Obviously we had some people that were sophisticated, but I think wider levels of education, greater exposure to different cultures etc has changed the nation. I know my parents would have been very unsophisticated 20 years ago and have changed massively in their tastes as the country changed.

I remember the day my father was first handed a dinner that contained rice instead of potatoes, didnt know what to make of it soon he looked forward to his beef curry on a Monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I definitely think there's a lot of begrudgery. I also think it holds Irish people back. I think a lot of people are afraid to try anything too ambitious because of the attitude that they were too big for their boots while they were doing it and the sick pleasure that many others would take from watching them fail were that to happen. Contrast with Americans who would look at these things as learning experiences. (Huge generalization obviously)

On the upside though, I do think that it is a product of the 80's and harder times before. Those who grew up in Celtic Tiger Ireland engage in begrudgery much less I think. I generally see successful, together people as cool. I'm certainly not saying my generation are angels. It might just be that we're too self-centred, as opposed to too mature, to obsess over what other people are doing. But whatever the cause, it's a good thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Still plenty of ghetto Irish people walking about. Dont kid yourself lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I think there is a lot of roughness around - people are almost proud to be rough. It's not necessarily a class trait either -people with thrid level degrees and professional jobs swear like sailors and 'get thick' pretty easily.

Then there is the actual underclass: how does a country so small produce so many social outsiders? My first impression of Dublin was of a really rough city - not dangerous, just rough looking. People look beaten-down and ill in this city. Most of the others are just wearing fake-fan.

Irish towns are mental - people from relatively normal homes act like they come from ghettos.

Obviously, the vast majority of people are lovely - and most of the people I think look rough are lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mikemac wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be busy having an affair with your employer's wife?

You swine

That wasn't me you know ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The present social mileau has changed for the worst. In the 80s at least there was an attitude that we as a society were all in this together. Now it is a case of finding someone to blame, or failing that in some cases to lash out in thuggish jeers to those still working.

RubyRoss wrote: »
    Irish towns are mental - people from relatively normal homes act like they come from ghettos.
    Yeah true a lot of the time - an example that comes to mind is Youghal. I'm just at a loss as to what they're so angry about.

I'll never give up my swearing though! :o:p

Advertisement