Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Thewife wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can claim disability allowance when receiving a state contributory pension?

Surely you get more money on the contributory pension. You don't get two main payments together. You can get some secondary payments depending on your circumstances, don't know if these apply to you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I made a claim for DA a few months ago and this week DSP inspector called to my address without warning to "Examine my means".

She asked various questions about my illness, landlord, partners, ex partners, family, previous jobs before checking my bank statements and then casually asking if I wanted the DA for the free travel pass.

I answered all questions honestly as I have nothing to hide. Next day she phoned and asked me for my National Insurance number when I was in UK and what work I did there.

An inspector has called, so is this the final check on my claim before authorising it to go ahead?

How long is it likely to be before I hear something after this home visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bof No1

Hi Nomis, glad to hear you've had a visit from an inspector, bit sneaky to arrive without making an appointment! I'm surprised to see that you only applied a few months ago and already, you're at this stage, ie, being means tested. Have you received written notification of your application being successful on a medical basis? If not, I'd suggest that you call the Dept. to find out if this is so, as this would normally be the first major step before they start looking at your finances. If this was me, I'd be cautiously optimistic, but obviously, your means have to check out first. Cheers and good luck, Bof No1.

Bof No1 wrote: »
    Hi Nomis, glad to hear you've had a visit from an inspector, bit sneaky to arrive without making an appointment! I'm surprised to see that you only applied a few months ago and already, you're at this stage, ie, being means tested. Have you received written notification of your application being successful on a medical basis? If not, I'd suggest that you call the Dept. to find out if this is so, as this would normally be the first major step before they start looking at your finances. If this was me, I'd be cautiously optimistic, but obviously, your means have to check out first. Cheers and good luck, Bof No1.

Actually I first applied for DA two years ago and was turned down 3 times, including twice on appeal and I just kept submitting more medical evidence and eventually another fresh claim. They are probably just fed up with me.

Why would they need to let me know that I had qualified on medical grounds if they were not granting me DA until they had completed the means assessment?

To be honest Bof I'm scared to call Longford in case the answer is "No" again. Sometimes I think it is "Better to travel hopefully than arrive."

How long is it usually between an inspector's visit and granting DA?

Hi Nomis, to get DA, obviously,you need to be proved disabled. The fact that they are now assessing your means, suggests that you've passed this point. In my own case, I found out about this, when I made a call to find out the stage my claim was at and the person told me that I'd been passed medically about 2 months previously and that an inspector would be in contact soon. It took her another 10 weeks to get around to me, but when she did, it was very matter of fact. She asked me to supply various things, I did, she sent a report, job done. I called about four weeks later and was told the officer dealing with my case was on holidays, so I had to wait another week. I was then told that a decision would issue by post by the weeks end. I nearly raped the postman for the next few days and 2 brown envelopes arrived, 1 with the travel pass, the other with the details of how much I was to receive and the start date for same, hallelujah. Obviously, each case is different, but I would hope you'll get a positive result in the next 6 to 8 weeks, fingers and toes crossed. Cheers, Bof No1.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Bof, it sounds very optimistic. Yes the inspector was rather "matter of fact".

The fact that she came unannounced suggests that the idea was to see if I really lived there, who I was living with and if there was any embarrassing items such as wads of cash sitting on the dining table.

Thankfully I was home and alone and in my usual impoverished state of undress.

I think once she saw all that I got the feeling the job had more or less been done.

She was terrified of my cat though, I hope that won't go against me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mike27

Hey guys,might be posting in the wrong place,if I am just let me know..
    An unusual one but hopefully someone has some info..I have been on disability for a few months now,was on unemployment while getting diagnosed and papers processed.While recently being immobilized due to my injuries i passed the time investing my savings(about e500) into some stocks.surprisingly the money actually made a nice profit and now i'm trying to figure out how to tell disability without them dragging me over the coals.anyone have any idea how this works?-I dont want to just keep quiet in case I loose DA altogether!

Hi Mike, glad to see that you received your DA. To the best of my knowledge, you can have up to €50,000 in stocks, shares and savings, before it impacts on your DA. You can check this by looking at the form you downloaded when applying for DA., it states in the financial section, that the first €50,000 is not taken into account. If you've made more than this from your €500, please let me know how, or, I'll sign up to your new investment management company. Cheers, Bof.

Haha..thats great news BoF,I thinks I'm fairly well under that limit,will download those forms now,do you think it applies also to investments that matured after I was granted DA?as was the case here?thanks for the info!

Haha..thats great news BoF,I thinks I'm fairly well under that limit,will download those forms now,do you think it applies also to investments that matured after I was granted DA?as was the case here?thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Dobs71

Just posting this question I am finally getting accessed by Social protection I have sent everything back that they have required such as updated bank statements, wife's earnings, the daughters college enrolment letter these were all submitted earlier, Is this part of the means test?
    a nice guy from the department rang me to ask some more questions like when is it likely that I will be returning to work, I told him out straight that that I have a medical card and was told by my GP that I will be waiting a while to see a surgeon and because of my age they might leave it go for a few years however the GP said if the surgeon decides to go ahead and carry out the required surgeries this will elevate some of the pain and gain a bit of quality of life. The GP also said I cant return to my job that I had trained and studied for. I also said to the guy from the department that I rather be on DA than a illness pension because I do want to retrain and go back working which I cant do that as I am led to believe whilst on a illness pension.
    I asked him how is the application was going he said everything it looks ok and would not give a definite answer. I suppose he could not as he would be putting his job on the line. The other question that I am asking is when will I get my refusal letter?
    I just want to add this, that my private Pension was paid out to me after I applied to surrender it, they got my medical history from my GP.

I'll bet a fiver that you'll get turned down as you're already thinking of retraining and going back to work. They don't want to hear it. Trust me. It'll mean to them you don't fit the requirement of not being able to participate in suitable work for your age. Regardless of it being true or not, its how they view it. I'd like to be proven wrong but i know how the hamsters in the wheel work

Hi Dobs71, to a certain extent, I'd have to go along with livemusic4life, if you don't fit into the parameters they have to work within, you're an anomaly and as such will be refused, because you're the fly in the ointment. You don't say whereabouts you are in the application process, but the fact you're asking about a letter of refusal, suggests to me that you've only just started? Keep the chin up, it's a long process for most and they'll try to wear you down, cheers, Bof.

Thanks lads for the encouragement, I don't know where I am in the application process I say about another month or two, or six. just trying to get going Jesus they don't half ask for updated stuff that I had already sent in, if this is the way they request information than it will be a few years before I will get sorted.
    So when I get the refusal letter I request an oral hearing to explain my case would this be the way to go?
    Thanks again for your advice and experiences.
    Dobs

Dobs71 wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the encouragement, I don't know where I am in the application process I say about another month or two, or six. just trying to get going Jesus they don't half ask for updated stuff that I had already sent in, if this is the way they request information than it will be a few years before I will get sorted.
    So when I get the refusal letter I request an oral hearing to explain my case would this be the way to go?
    Thanks again for your advice and experiences.
    Dobs

You have to see what their reasons for refusals are. Then ask for an oral review if you feel that you do in fact meet the requirements stated. Its not an easy process, and can be completely life sapping if you do get turned down. Especially when you don't fit in the mould, like I didn't. I was turned down 4 times before I got mine. but i'm sure the option to keep appealing has been removed since. I may be wrong, but i'm sure someone mentioned it. I don't mean to be pessimistic but if I had this advice before I started I would have been far better prepared. Many a day I spent crying, unable to put one foot in front of the other while some pencil pusher in an office who had never met me said I didn't qualify.

And you really should claim illness benefit while you wait, as this will mean you'll get your physical assessment earlier too. They won't schedule you with a special one, they will combine it with the regular ones that you get while on illness benefit. You can always drop the illness benefit when you get your disability.

Dobs, how long has it been since you made your application, how long after you first applied was it before they contacted you for more information and have you received any letter of refusal since you first applied? Cheers, Bof.

livemusic4life: I have being getting illness benefit from end of March or the start of April, during the phone calls back and forward I was informed that I was getting a lower rate of €121.40 because I had worked part time while I was in education.
    What I have learned through my application for IB, that is only based on taxable income and even though I was in getting back to education allowance that is not considered an income to the IB department.
    IB department had sent out a assessment to be filled out by my GP which was returned and I have not any contact from them since.

Bof No1: they had received my application in early May I think it was first week to be honest, it was only two weeks ago that they rang asking for more information about my children and asked that I have a girl in college because she is over the age of eighteen, wife's status, working, what's her wage etc, which I sent back to them and had another information request on Wednesday gone sent that one back as well.
    I have not received a letter of refusal as yet, from reading other posts, I say it is on the way.

Dobs71, based on what you've said in your email, your treatment so far has been different to mine. In my case, I wasn't asked for any more information after acknowledgement of receipt of my initial application. I was then granted a refusal letter and asked, if I wished, to appeal the decision and forward any further relevant information. This I did and I heard nothing more from them, until I contacted them by phone after 10 to 12 weeks, to be told that I was passed medically and would be contacted by a Social Welfare Inspector, to ascertain my means.
    Maybe the system has changed, but if not, I personally, would be looking at your situation favourably? Or, maybe they're setting you up for a fall, who knows what they're at, but I'd still be more optimistic about this, than pessimistic, cheers, Bof.

I received confirmation by post today that I have been awarded disability allowance to say I am over the moon is an understatement, I am buzzing to be honest. My claim is been backdated to a week after they have received the application form.
    I have read posts, that people had been refused and it was always a worry for me that I would be refused, I just want to say thanks to Boards.ie and the posters on forum for there kind advice and comments that has helped me in my application.
    The down side is that I still have my illness for life, been awarded disability has eased the burden on my income to support my family. Just one or two more questions what happens next I will be changing from illness benefit to Disability allowance in the next few weeks, do I still have to hand in certs from my doctor to the social welfare, When do I apply for house hold package, as I we only have one old car, sometimes I am grounded and depend on buses to get about when do I apply for the bus pass as this would save me a few pound over a week.

Hey Dobs,
    Congrats I know thats a relife,dont know about certs but you can ring up and request the form gor household benefits straight away,also fuel allowance should come in without having to apply anymore.
    My bus pass came in two days after i got approval for DA

• Advertisement

Hey Dobs,
    Congrats I know thats a relife,dont know about certs but you can ring up and request the form gor household benefits straight away,also fuel allowance should come in without having to apply anymore.
    My bus pass came in two days after i got approval for DA

Dobs71 wrote: »
    I received confirmation by post today that I have been awarded disability allowance to say I am over the moon is an understatement, I am buzzing to be honest. My claim is been backdated to a week after they have received the application form.
    I have read posts, that people had been refused and it was always a worry for me that I would be refused, I just want to say thanks to Boards.ie and the posters on forum for there kind advice and comments that has helped me in my application.
    The down side is that I still have my illness for life, been awarded disability has eased the burden on my income to support my family. Just one or two more questions what happens next I will be changing from illness benefit to Disability allowance in the next few weeks, do I still have to hand in certs from my doctor to the social welfare, When do I apply for house hold package, as I we only have one old car, sometimes I am grounded and depend on buses to get about when do I apply for the bus pass as this would save me a few pound over a week.

Dobs, I'm trully delighted for you! :) you can take a big breath now. You should phone them up and ask about the household benefits package, as far as i can remember - and that was a while ago now, it was a little section on the disability form asking if you wanted to apply for the household benefits package. The bus pass will come out automatically.

Bus pass came today for myself and the wife, Brilliant. Sent of the form for household package, I know it is not much to some people but it is like winning the lotto to me and my family. I am over the moon with my application and was always dreading the refusal letter and from reading posts, people that were diagnosed with medical problems could not get the disability allowance, that is so wrong.
    My recovery will take a good few years, and in my own doctors words that I can never work in the field that I am trained for even after the required surgeries, devastating to say the least. Maybe in a couple of years I might be able to retrain, take on a few courses, or even go to college.
    I am so happy to be over the application process, and getting on with my disability and I cant thank the forum members enough for there help, via PM's or posts and especially the kind comments sent from you all. Thank you from me and my family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Sorry to bump this,but I applied for DA in late December,on the advice of a staff member in the local intreo office.
    She gave me the form,my doc gave a brief description of my condition (depression/anxiety) and stated that this condition has lasted well over a year and is expected to last at least a year more/indefinitely and also wrote that I would be unable for work for at least a year.
    All well and good I thought,but after reading this thread from start to finish I'm beginning to worry now,as people with severe physical conditions seem to be getting turned down routinely.
    So I'm thinking now that seeing as how my condition is a mental one and not physical that I don't stand a chance.
    Has anybody here with the same condition as me ever made a successful claim?
    Thanks,Harry

Sorry to bump this,but I applied for DA in late December,on the advice of a staff member in the local intreo office.
    She gave me the form,my doc gave a brief description of my condition (depression/anxiety) and stated that this condition has lasted well over a year and is expected to last at least a year more/indefinitely and also wrote that I would be unable for work for at least a year.

People are often turned down on the first application,but accepted on the second,prepare yourself for that possibility.They seem to be just making it difficult as a regular practise,regardless of condition applied under.

Mike27 wrote: »

People are often turned down on the first application,but accepted on the second,prepare yourself for that possibility.They seem to be just making it difficult as a regular practise,regardless of condition applied under.

I was turned down twice officially. Twice more unofficially. It'll be interesting to see how they judge mental illness which is just as serious as a physical illness. I guess it comes down to whether you meet all the conditions. I was turned down under the bit where i'm unfit for work in comparison to other people of my age.

Mental health seems to be in the media quite regularly now giving people an idea of it seriousness and how it effects the individual, this is a drive from the present government. I hope the DA section in longford have a better understanding of the difficulties the person can experience with issues surrounding mental health.
    as Live4music says if you get knocked on your application reapply, appeal the decision don't give up. Keep copies of everything that you send and all correspondences.
    I was lucky myself to be approved then again I was prepared to be turned down, I wish you the best of luck in you application.
    Dobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

hello all. got a letter last week saying a social welfare inspector is paying me a visit about my D.A claim. i am kinna nervous about it tbh. what should i expect ??

Hi tomtom, when you say you're being visited about your claim, do you mean about your application for D.A., or, you're being payed D.A. at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

Bof No1 wrote: »
    Hi tomtom, when you say you're being visited about your claim, do you mean about your application for D.A., or, you're being payed D.A. at the moment?

I meant my application. Just have to wait for the medical assessment now

Advertisement