Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearing up for record breaking warmth from the 11th Nov ---->

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think perhaps people have overamped what temperatures could be reached next week.

I would say widely 11-14c with one or two spots hitting 16c. Very mild for November but we are not going to hit 20c.

We will if we get above 10c 850hpa and decent spells of sunshine. Only the ECM shows that possibility still though so we may be spared that horror. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

howlinwolf wrote: »
    why do people go and buy winter stuff on the back of two bad winters,theres no guarentee we will get another in the next 20 years? remember how long we went with wet and mild winters before we got the two really bad winters....... ha ha makes me laugh

I've had the electric blanket for years. However the ice grips I got last week. I refused to be ripped off by stores which wanted to take advantage of our ''panic'' and charge me 30 euro for them so I took my chances with the ice last time. However this time I was looking carefully and picked the ice grips up for 5 Euro in Penneys. If it doesn't snow for 5 years I will still have saved money plus the saving will stay in the economy and help me purchase something else along the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Jake1 wrote: »
    id stay the hell away from the Canaries right now :)
    Joe Public wrote: »
    :confused:

Jake1 is referring to the recent seismic activity at El Hierro Joe, here's a link to the thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75318885#post75318885

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Jake1 is referring to the recent seismic activity at El Hierro Joe, here's a link to the thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75318885#post75318885

But unless you're actually going to el hierro it wouldn't be much of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Yep, that's true Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    We will if we get above 10c 850hpa and decent spells of sunshine. Only the ECM shows that possibility still though so we may be spared that horror. :pac:

Not a chance we'll get 20 °C, even if we get 10 °C 850s. We may have done a month ago but that won't cut it in mid-November, with nights around 16 hours long. 16 or 17 °C would be about the best to hope for, but only if every single thing fell perfectly into place.

There would be an issue if there was a landslide and subsequent tsunami Tony :):):)

Su Campu wrote: »
    Not a chance we'll get 20 °C

20c can be reached in November in an airmass where the temperature at 1,250m is 10c. Fine if you don't believe me. Everyone has differing opinions - life would be boring if we all agreed!:)

But...

Do you recognise this chart? Do you know what occurred on this date?

Rrea00119461104.gif

20c can be reached in November in an airmass where the temperature at 1,250m is 10c. Fine if you don't believe me. Everyone has differing opinions - life would be boring if we all agreed!:)

But...

Do you recognise this chart? Do you know what occurred on this date?

1,250 m? That's not 850 hPa, and if it is then it's one cold airmass!! The highest November temperatures recorded in Ireland in the 61-90 period were around 17 - 18 °C and no more. I don't know what happened in 1946, but I'm guessing from that setup that if 20 °C was recorded somewhere then it was probably down to local Föhn effects.

1,250 m? That's not 850 hPa, and if it is then it's one cold airmass!!

I know it's not. It's around 250m below it. And that is a very warm airmass for this time of year.

The highest November temperatures recorded in Ireland in the 61-90 period were around 17 - 18 °C and no more.

And?
    I don't know what happened in 1946, but I'm guessing from that setup that if 20 °C was recorded somewhere then it was probably down to local Föhn effects.

Yes, 20.0c was recorded in Rathfarnham in Dublin. Another chart I mischievously held back. The temperature at 850hPa level was not even 10c and was outside the margin of error given the less then adequate resources for measuring when compared to today.

Rrea00219461104.gif

What may occur

Recm1922.gif

I rest my case.:) I respect your opinion but I just don't agree with it on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I love it when you all start in with the ...well i raise your temp chart with ... this temp chart... and see my next temp chart trumps your previous chart...:D

Apart from it creating a bit of banter, you tend to explain your reasons more and occasionally i am able to follow what the argument is and learn something!! So don't forget... argue in science boys! ;)

I know it's not. It's around 250m below it. And that is a very warm airmass for this time of year.

So why make out it is the 850 hPa level?

And?

It strongly suggests that trying to get 20 degrees it nigh on impossible.
    Yes, 20.0c was recorded in Rathfarnham in Dublin. Another chart I mischievously held back. The temperature at 850hPa level was not even 10c and was outside the margin of error given the less then adequate resources for measuring when compared to today.

I rest my case.:) I respect your opinion but I just don't agree with it on this.

Rathfarnham. Was that an official station? Plus, it's THE perfect location for Föhn warming, as I thought. In any case, that was at the start of the month, you're talking about almost two weeks later, which stacks the odds even more against.

I'll tell you what. If we do see an OFFICIAL reading of 20...no, wait, even 19.0 °C this November, then I will close my account on boards.ie....promise! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'll tell you what. If we do see an OFFICIAL reading of 20...no, wait, even 19.0 °C this November, then I will close my account on boards.ie....promise! ;)

Even a Fohn 19? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

now this is getting interesting, so wholl be mod if su campus gone?:D

dsmythy wrote: »
    Even a Fohn 19? :eek:

Any official 19.0....as per met.ie's monthly summary, just like in the competition!

I'm going nowhere lads, we're not going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Wow this is like fisticuffs at dawn... I see a glove being well and truly thrown down...!

Tell you what Su, glad you only going official stations, looking through some of my readings lately, 19 or 20c wouldn't be beyond!!:rolleyes:

eskimocat wrote: »
    Wow this is like fisticuffs at dawn... I see a glove being well and truly thrown down...!

Tell you what Su, glad you only going official stations, looking through some of my readings lately, 19 or 20c wouldn't be beyond!!:rolleyes:

That's what I mean. I don't care - and neither do the records - what someone gets in their garden. I've sited my sensor as standard as I can get it but in sunny conditions it regularly reads 2-3 degrees above my nearest stations (Weston, Casement and Dublin Airports). I know Weston's not an official station but it is well sited and representative of the area.

So why make out it is the 850 hPa level?

It is to show that we don't even need 10c at 850hPa to reach 20c at this time of year.
    It strongly suggests that trying to get 20 degrees it nigh on impossible.

No it does not.

Rathfarnham. Was that an official station?

Yes it was.
    Plus, it's THE perfect location for Föhn warming, as I thought. In any case, that was at the start of the month, you're talking about almost two weeks later, which stacks the odds even more against.

No, I don't think so.

Well I have not said that it is nailed on we will get 850hPa temps over 10c. My point is the inference of your posts is that it is impossible to get 20c in November. That is not correct.

In fact it is on the Met Éireann website. It was an official station with an official recording officially recognised as the highest November temperature on record. Fohn effect or no Fohn effect.

http://met.ie/climate-ireland/extreme_maxtemps.pdf

Good that I had to bring up the November of 1946 incidentally since it is vaguely similar to the situation we see now in that it was very mild - I think we all know what occurred from late January 1947 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good that I had to bring up the November of 1946 incidentally since it is vaguely similar to the situation we see now in that it was very mild - I think we all know what occurred from late January 1947 ;)
    Please say snow if you mean snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Please say snow if you mean snow.

Have you no pride, no shame? Get off your knees, boy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

(grabs popcorn).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Good that I had to bring up the November of 1946 incidentally since it is vaguely similar to the situation we see now in that it was very mild

Have to say that I cannot see any similarity between these two set ups at all. 1946 set up was a moist, maritime S/SSW'ly that was modified a little by a ridge to the south and southeast. The forecast set up is more of a SE/E'ly bent due to a (almost) cut-off high over northern / eastern Europe:
    180523.PNG

May well be wrong but a set up like that often brings low cloud/fog to the east and southeast coasts at this time of year keeping temps suppressed with the best of the weather in general more towards the W/NW. Even if not, with a fairly reasonable pressure gradient both at surface and height it could be quite breezy which may help prevent temps from rising all that much by day whilst preventing them from falling all that much by night.

For what it is worth, the highest temperature at Phoenix Park on the 4th Nov 1946 was 18.3c and judging from that and the general set up, I would say 15-17c would have been the general nationwide maxima that day.

It is to show that we don't even need 10c at 850hPa to reach 20c at this time of year.

Well I have not said that it is nailed on we will get 850hPa temps over 10c. My point is the inference of your posts is that it is impossible to get 20c in November. That is not correct.

As I said, my point is that we're now talking about two weeks later than that THIS November, which is a crucial factor at this time of the year. Your point is that we can still get 20.0 °C in MID November, which I in turn don't agree with.

Plus, as Deep Easterly pointed out, the 1946 setup was a moist one, which means more effective Föhn warming possibilities. With a drier continental airmass this will not occur.

Interesting to see how this will play out. Let's just agree to disagree! ;)

Agreed:)

It is playing out to the coldies benefit now long term so we may not have to worry about it in any case! ECM has a tasty look this morning.

On course for the blow torch to be fired from Northern Africa

Rtavn1441.png

Very, very mild for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Rtavn1441.png

so is it lookin good for a cold blast to come once this few days of warmth gets pushed out ??

Ah now I think blow torch is a bit ott. ;)

Just to illustrate a point. There were widespread 850 hPa temperatures of above +10 °C over England today, but max surface air temperatures were only 10 - 13 °C. The very subsidence inversion that brought the warm T850 was also responsible for the massive Sc sheet that covered the country, keeping the temperatures down. To look at the setup you would be forgiven for thinking we were in for a roasting, but soundings show a different story, with a relatively cool boundary layer. This is the key. Warm T850s do not necessarily mean a warm airmass.

180654.png

180655.PNG

2011110712.03354.skewt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Just to illustrate a point. There were widespread 850 hPa temperatures of +10 °C over England today, but max surface air temperatures were only 10 - 13 °C. The very subsidence inversion that brought the warm T850 was also responsible for the massive Sc sheet that covered the country, keeping the temperatures down. To look at the setup you would be forgiven for thinking we were in for a roasting, but sounding show a different story, with a relatively cool boundary layer. This is the key. Warm T850s do not necessarily mean a warm airmass.

180654.png

180655.PNG

2011110712.03354.skewt.gif
    oh so thats why, i was wondering why this high pressure wasnt giving hot weather like in october, felt more like hp in january! twas frezzing:eek:

Just to illustrate a point. There were widespread 850 hPa temperatures of above +10 °C over England today, but max surface air temperatures were only 10 - 13 °C. The very subsidence inversion that brought the warm T850 was also responsible for the massive Sc sheet that covered the country, keeping the temperatures down. To look at the setup you would be forgiven for thinking we were in for a roasting, but soundings show a different story, with a relatively cool boundary layer. This is the key. Warm T850s do not necessarily mean a warm airmass.

It's the fact it was covered in cloud no1 that restricted temperatures. (so was the continent so temperatures could not have risen much there in the first place and besides the origin of the air is compatible with the faux cold developing there this time of year) No2 air from the Southeast of the continent is of the faux cold variety this time of year. i.e surface is cool. It's not the same as the projected flow by the end of the week at all. The wind then will be travelling over the southern med and the bay of biscay. Completely different scenario. The air will be moist and inherently warm at all levels. It won't have the dryness of the artic originated airflow modified in the East Med. Chalk and cheese.

P.S you say T850's are not a warm airmass? It is a very warm airmass for Ireland even in the height of summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bought my sombrero today. :)

Advertisement