Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldstone Gym or Kingfisher Gym Waterford City??

Options
  • 05-11-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi Im looking to know peoples options on the two gyms Goldstone Gym and Kingfisher Gym Waterford City. Do they have personal trainers, good equipment etc, as I want a gym where they can tell/show me how to use the equipment and who can do out a proper program for free weight and machines etc, I m mainly interested in the weights/ reisitance part.Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Haven't been a member of Goldstone so can't comment but didn't renew my Kingfisher membership yet they continued to text me for months afterwards. Main drawback for Kingfisher while I was there is that the showers were crap (dribbled water out and were usually cold), there were no water fountains (although you could buy water for 2 euro a bottle), they charge you a 5'r to replace your plastic key card that you are meant to attach to your key ring and it is plastic so just breaks in your pocket and the weights area was very small.

I could get over the water bullshít, the key (which could simply be fixed by adding a metal ring to the hole that attaches to your keys) and the shower but their dumbbells only go up to 30kg. They have no platform or bumper plates. The 1 squat rack they had wasn't particularly good (somewhat similar to this : http://www.commercialfitnessequipment.com.au/674-1188-large/16000-squat-rack.jpg ). I think there were only 3 olympic bars, 1 e-z bar and that was it. They may have gotten more equipment since so it might be worth going in to look at but as you can imagine if it is in anyway busy you have to spend a good bit of time waiting around.

I'd imagine the gym staff would certainly help you if you asked but they won't help unless you ask. I didn't get any help from them but I didn't ask so can't comment on how knowledgeable they are. Tbh I prefer it that way because they don't interrupt you which is the way I like it! Also when they say they close at 10 or 6 they really mean get out of the gym by quarter to the hour, regardless of whether you have to change or shower.

Being honest if it's for weights you are joining then I would avoid. They have a large cardio area and a good few tvs floating around that space but the weights area is small and gets packed easily (unless they have changed the gym around a bit, so don't take my word as gospel as it has been a while). If you were joining for cardio then you wouldn't be going too far wrong as they have any amount of treadmills and the likes in that room.

It's worth looking around and probably posting in the Waterford section of Boards to get more opinions. I'd certainly ask someone about the Waterford weight lifting club gym thing if that's your thing or find out what kind of equipment Goldstone have.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Thanks a million for all the info, it really helps, I must try get a pass for the day to look around kingfisher and goldstone, I already have a treadmill for cardio at home, so it is really the weights section I need. I would hate be be waiting around to use the equipment as I used to be in Waterford Crystal Gym but the range of equipment was very limited. I know what ya mean abou the texts from them, I rang one day asking the price and have been getting texts with offers to join for weeks now. Thanks again jive.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Does anyone know the opening times tomorrow - Monday for kingfisher - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

9-6 according to their facebook

Advertisement