Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Birthday? And noone told me? Have I missed the cake?

Happy birthday youngwan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

...............did someone mention cake!....................:D

Happy Birthday Dory :)

Live long and prosper :rolleyes: and rock that upcoming race!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

birthday cake!!!.jpg

Here's the real cake!!! :D Chocolate blackberry.....and I've already sampled it. Plenty for you, Oryx, just zip on over here and we can have it with a glass of your choice! :)

Interested, you need this cake to "sop" up that "A" race!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Happy birthday !!

Now .... put the cake down and step away slowly (yeah - I'm no fun :)).

Plenty of time for cake after ya nail Steamtown. Better yet if you could get a team to run with it ahead of you -

Hum ....new pacing group strategy forming in my mind here ... forget ballons - join the beer/ice cream/cake/medley 3.15 group depending on your preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

We've already gone through the mathematics- fatties roll downhill faster. Happy birthday, eat at least half the cake, drink neat vodka shots, have a blast:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Happy birthday super dooper Dory! That cake looks YUM! Aren't blackberries one of your 5 a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Happy birthday DD :)

So you've joined the 30-35 age group now :)

Steamy Swim :D

Air temp 64 degrees + water temp 84 degrees = pool steam rising!!

Today was to be a recovery/rest day, and because my lower legs were a shade less than perfect, I decided to take a load off of them (and with the volume of cake I ate today, it was a greater than normal load today :o) and go for a swim. Sweet-jesus-holy-crap-and-great-balls-of-fire I love to swim! :) How did this running malarky start?? This evening as I was freestyling it up and down my pool without ever having to think about form or pace, I was reminded that I am a swimmer. And I'm running 26.2 miles in just over 4 days. ;)

2,000 heavenly yards in my favorite perk this house has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

merry belated birthday DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Steamy Swim :D

Air temp 64 degrees + water temp 84 degrees = pool steam rising!!

2,000 heavenly yards in my favorite perk this house has.

picture ppppppplease :)

• Advertisement

RedB wrote: »
    picture ppppppplease :)

I assume you mean of the steam rising from the pool. ;) It's most dramatic in the morning, so I will try and get up a bit early tomorrow and snap you a few. It is pretty cool looking - sort of like my own hot spring!!

May I introduce to you (as dubbed by Oryx)....THE MAD ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

(don't know how to post a photo other than as an attachment...)

The Mad One!!!!.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

May I introduce to you (as dubbed by Oryx)....THE MAD ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

(don't know how to post a photo other than as an attachment...)

The Mad One!!!!.jpg

Quite an appropriate title for its owner ;) the very very best of luck with it. Somethings missing though ... what is it now ... pink frills, a bell and a basket ? too much ? too soon ? ;)

Oh veerryyy nice :) Do not ruin that lovely bike by putting tri bars on it now!!

interested wrote: »
    Quite an appropriate title for its owner ;) the very very best of luck with it. Somethings missing though ... what is it now ... pink frills, a bell and a basket ? too much ? too soon ? ;)

My brother purchased pink frills for me to install on my bike for the triathlon....so I do have those.... ;)
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Oh veerryyy nice :) Do not ruin that lovely bike by putting tri bars on it now!!

Interested will probably second that.

I did get to see and touch my very first time trial bike at the shop. They are, um, "unusual" looking. Definitely pointy hat territory.

The Nearly There Run

Other than the fact that I was totally overdressed for this very warm and humid evening, and that there must have been a fresh hatching of mosquitos because I was bombarded by these flying b@stards and forced to pluck them out of my eyes on the fly, and that my keys were bouncing up and down in my back pocket alerting every walker on the path that I was almost upon them, and that a little street urchin on a shiny blue metallic lilliputian bike decided he wanted to draft me while I was running and kept ringing his annoying little bell which kept making me think he wanted to pass so I kept trying to stay to the right which only delighted the little fecker more and resulted in more bell ringing and more annoyance and thoughts of ripping the little bell off the little bike and showing the little lad just what kind of untapped bell ringing talents I have.....but other than all of that, it was a lovely little run. :D

Plan was 2 miles easy, 2 miles slightly spiffy, 2 miles easy. Pre-run goals were to keep easy pace around 8:45 and slightly spiffy pace around 7:45....but as per usual for me in training runs, the actual paces were slightly faster, but it felt pretty good. Still working on form. I have very bad form habits if I let my mind wander.

Per Garmin:
    6.34 miles in 51:04.59 for an average pace of 8:03 min/mile.

Splits:
    8:21, 8:19, 7:31, 7:29, 8:08, 8:20, 2:54 (8:29 pace)

Massage planned for tomorrow....and then a swim in the evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You should get used to the bell ringing cyclist - a common feature among race leaders in triathlon over here!

Nice bike - I particularly like the attention to detail with the specs facing outwards so I can admire what looks like a full Ultegra gearing.

What were you previous gears, the shifting system on the handlebars is very nice with the Ultegra although it took me ages to realise how you shifted between the big and small rings

@ RedB....I forgot this morning when I headed off to work that its' still dark outside. :o But I'll snap that pic for you very soon.

@ catweazle....I'll look on my old bike as far as brand goes, but it is the same setup as far as shifting goes - so no change for me there. Here's the link to my bike's features - http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/madone_5_series/feature_tour

@ anyone who is reading this.....there is a 70% chance of rain for my marathon this Sunday. UGH!! Any suggestions about clothing/rain gear? It's supposed to be between 40 and 50 degrees.....do you wear a hat with a bill? do you bother with a coat? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And any thoughts about running downhill in rain??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's no point in trying to keep dry, but wet gear chafes more so make sure you have bodyglide (plasters, whatever you use) anywhere and everywhere that could rub. A minor annoyance on a short or dry run will be a major pain on a long wet one.
    Have some disposable clothes and/or a black plastic bag for the start line, and a full set of clean, dry clothes in a waterproof bag for the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

@ anyone who is reading this.....there is a 70% chance of rain for my marathon this Sunday. UGH!! Any suggestions about clothing/rain gear? It's supposed to be between 40 and 50 degrees.....do you wear a hat with a bill? do you bother with a coat? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And any thoughts about running downhill in rain??

I'm sure you will get lots of feedback on this as us Irish are seasoned rain-runners:)
    Wear a disposable garbage bag to the start, your main priority is to stay warm and dry before the race. Once you get going the rain shouldn't really affect you unless the temperature has dropped considerably, although 40 -50 sounds chilly enough. If you are used to a hat then that will help keep the rain off your face. With regards to a jacket, I'd only wear one if you've been running long runs in it, better still bring an old one you can throw away if it starts to annoy you. Gloves are a great idea for keeping warm, again bring old ones in case you get too warm.

Is it too late to start the Good luck messages?

Good Luck DD:):):)

You will be amazing as ever, your training has been fantastic, all the hard work is done now go have fun:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

On rain - a bit +1 on the bag front. Those large black garbage bags from a hardward store can be tailored very nicely to keep you dry and warm before the race. At 40-50 degrees you will not really need much once you are in the coral.

Use something like body glide - everywhere! Especially anywhere a) where movement is maximum - e.g. inside of tighs and b) anywhere where the edge of clothes meet the skin. Don't forget the feet. I'd favor body glide over vaseline especially on the feet.

The thing I would add is a hat with a bill to keep water out of the eyes/off glasses - or if you don't normally run with a hat just pick up a visor (probably can find this stuff at the expo). Again - not a great idea to do something new - but if running in rain is unfamiliar then less so.

Avoid puddles ! Running in wet shoes can be really draining so it is worth the effort to find the center/high point of the road. Worth deviating from the race line especially in the first 2/3rds of the race. Play in the puddles after the race !

Finally - don't sweat it. Unless it is torential, running in the rain is not a problem - you may find you like it. It should not make any real difference to your hill running strategies.

Best of luck .... you've done great training (even if you don't think so) so take it very very easy over the next few days - and let it rip Sunday.

Thank you all for those great tips! It never occurred to me about the need for body glide due to wet clothing, nor did I think of making a fashion statement with a garbage bag....and I don't usually wear a hat, but a visor of some sort may be super wise. And yes, fresh/warm/dry clothing will feel like heaven after 3 - 4 hours of dancing and singing in the rain!!! But the puddle-splashing scene will have to wait until later. :)

Logistics aside - i love running in the rain, keeps me cool, most of my best runs have been when its raining (light rain not torrential :D)

Best of luck with this DD, no bother to you. I'm looking forward to, and expecting, a long and detailed race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

With heavy rain, getting your feet wet is pretty inevitable. Not sure how liable you are to getting blisters, but a copious spreading of body-glide will do the business on your feet too (is there nothing that body-glide can't do?!). I ran Berlin marathon in 2010 when it rained from start to finish. Wasn't as bad as the previous year, when it was a sunny 26'C. So don't let it bother you too much. A little miserable at first, but once you get properly soaked, you'll settle into it. Just pretend you're swimming. ;)

Swim

1,200 gorgeous yards of steady swimming. No steamy swim tonight as the air temperature was around 80 degrees when I started this session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

All the very best this coming weekend. Just about to head out the door on my adventure and still don't think I've done half enough to get through this .. but hey, its a long winter to recover and I'd regret it if I didn't just give it a bash after this season of might have beens.
    Enjoy, enjoy - get your head around it and keep moving.

All the very best this coming weekend. Just about to head out the door on my adventure and still don't think I've done half enough to get through this .. but hey, its a long winter to recover and I'd regret it if I didn't just give it a bash after this season of might have beens.

What are you doing this weekend to be up so early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Happy Pieday Lady Dory. I know I haven't written in your log in a while but I've been getting my email feed with every step you run and every stroke you swim (as well as the cake eating antics on FB!). The very very best of luck this weekend - I know you'll have an absolutely swell run :) Enjoy every minute of it!!

Ps - just in case you were wondering, my dual clock on my fancy pants phone tells me it is currently 5:30am in Boston ;)

• Advertisement

Yes, yes....same to you. If at any point you are feeling unsure of yourself or need a kick up the can, send me a text and I'll get you back in the game. My fingers are crossed that you'll actually write up a race report, and if you need to hijack a thread to post it, then my thread is your thread. :D;)
    catweazle wrote: »
    What are you doing this weekend to be up so early?

My understanding is it is a quasi-multicultural-hybrid-adventure type of event. Based on what I know about his training, like me, I fear he has not prepared properly for the endurance aspect of it.....but I hope he has himself together enough to remember to throw in a few windmills to at least balance out his short comings. And let's hope there are plenty of photos. :)
    claralara wrote: »
    Happy Pieday Lady Dory. I know I haven't written in your log in a while but I've been getting my email feed with every step you run and every stroke you swim (as well as the cake eating antics on FB!). The very very best of luck this weekend - I know you'll have an absolutely swell run :) Enjoy every minute of it!!

Ps - just in case you were wondering, my dual clock on my fancy pants phone tells me it is currently 5:30am in Boston ;)

Hey, hey my international starlet friend!! I hope you know that I've been copying your last week's training sessions in hopes that it somehow brings me a little of your good fortune. I'm excited about this marathon and figure even if I blow up and crap out along the way, I'll finish it Marthastew style and chock this up as a Boston reconnaissance run due to their similarities. And speaking of Boston.....pies and drinks for all of us!!!!!! The first round will be on me!!! :D

Advertisement