Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    Put up or shut up, then. :P

But, but, but....it's about the ones I'll leave behind. Who will fight for them? For their wave rights? Plus, I like shiny things. ;)

Okayokayokay. Dammit. I'll give it serious consideration for next year, assuming catweazle hasn't already got me in the old folks home playing shuffle board. ;):)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

May I take this opportunity to change the subject and remind you that its 29 days, yes 29 DAYS to your race. Just in case you'd let it slip your mind. Right about now the jingly jangly nerves should be just starting to kick in..... :)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    That's perfectly reasonable. Was there an award for biggest hissy fit?;)

Hey now....I've got low red blood cells and my oxygen is compromised....I cannot be held responsible for my actions. :D

May I take this opportunity to change the subject and remind you that its 29 days, yes 29 DAYS to your race. Just in case you'd let it slip your mind. Right about now the jingly jangly nerves should be just starting to kick in..... :)

All I am going to say on this matter is.....barf.

;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »

Race Director: ....Most triathletes won't be able to prove swim times plus can you imagine the admin headache to verify? That's a day of work!

So limit the ability to switch waves to those with a time from a previous year in this event. Easy to check, limited work, less risk of anyone getting run over, and provides an incentive for people to come back. Ta da ...!

But sounds like the RD is a bit burned out - which I can understand. Suggestions six months before the event rather than immediately after (when he/she has dealt with the usual gripes) might get somewhere.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    But sounds like the RD is a bit burned out - which I can understand. Suggestions six months before the event rather than immediately after (when he/she has dealt with the usual gripes) might get somewhere.

You know.....I think you are dead right here - he probably is burned out....and he's probably already heard an earful of complaints (I didn't even go into the enormous timing chip we had to wear on our left leg with him, but I'm positive he heard it from plenty of others!). However, I doubt I'll revisit this issue with him. It's done, and it's clear to me that I have three choices the way it stands: 1) start in the back and continue to swim over, around and through other athletes but still be eligible for category awards, 2) start in wave 1 with all its benefits to racing and time on the clock, but also possibly suffering humiliation on the run (they're a pretty speedy lot!) and forfeiting category awards, or 3) not participate. All things in perspective - it's my backyard local triathlon that brings such good things to our community and is such a source of pride to so many...and honestly, it's been very good to me as it is....so, I doubt option 3 above is even an option, which leaves 1 and 2. It's a year away, so in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about that tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

RayCun wrote: »
    It's not like you're flying through the swim and then getting on a tricycle and walking the last bit. 12th woman overall, they could just put you with the first wave of women?

12th female overall, in the middle of long distance training with no speed work done and only getting over some illness ? it'd be a nice response to the RD at next years event to gate crash the overall podium from the later waves to perfectly illustrate a point.

interested wrote: »
    12th female overall, in the middle of long distance training with no speed work done and only getting over some illness ? it'd be a nice response to the RD at next years event to gate crash the overall podium from the later waves to perfectly illustrate a point.

As long as I perfectly illustrate that point. ;)

So they rack your bike for you???

Great motivational clip!! Between that and this below, I'm all set!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'll get some abuse for posting this, but try this.

https://soundcloud.com/mateusz-m-6/why-do-we-fall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this is the one i meant to post

https://soundcloud.com/mateusz-m-6/desire

started to listening to these to get me going pre race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

That music reminds me of something out of Crocodile Dundee

This one always puts me in the mood to go out and smash it, starts off really easy and builds really well towards the end. Kinda how I'd like my races to go.

These are all fantastic!! Thanks....and please feel free to keep them coming over the next 4 weeks!! :)

Friday, August 22nd, 2014

Run plan: 9 miles steady

It's always a crapshoot when I start a quality session - I just never honestly know what to expect. I've learned this training cycle that I perform far better when I start a bit conservatively...I've learned that if I can hold myself back a bit at the start that I am much more comfortable during the run, and that I can usually finish stronger than when I began.

I decided to gamble at lunch and I pushed this run back to this evening because it was pouring down rain at noon....and happy days, luck was on my side - no rain (some heat and humidity though), but it was a pretty gorgeous evening all things considered. This run was good. In a nutshell, I was happy with the effort and the paces even though I had to ease it back a little on mile 4 when my two stitches tried to make an appearance. They flared back up on miles 8 and 9 (along with a new stich in my neck/shoulder :confused:), but they were manageable, and I just kept trying to stay relaxed, which seems to work to some degree. Overall, however, this really was a solid run...and a bit of a boost for me. The next two days will be all about The Black Cat, with a little swimming mixed in. :)

8:00, 7:54, 7:54
    8:06, 7:47, 7:49
    7:49, 7:37, 7:35

Actual run: 9 miles in 1:10:37 for an average pace of 7:51 min/mile

Saturday, August 23rd, 2014

Bike

The plan was to find the flatest ground around and put down 80 miles today....so, FIELD TRIP!! :) I traveled about 90 minutes away in my quest for level terrain, but wouldn't you know, I still did over 5,000 feet of climbing!! :confused: Hills just seem to be my lot in cycling life. Ah well, as long as they make me stronger I am totally fine with it....and I did get in some really good time on the aero bars. In fact, I'd estimate other than on miles 60 through 70 when I was on a highway with cars whizzing by and coming way too close to me, I probably spent 85% of the time on the bars. My body held up pretty well - had the expected stiffness in my lower back, shoulders, and neck...and my derriere did okay until the last 10-15 miles. However, I had soreness in the back of my knees....and I remembered reading on here somewhere that knee soreness can indicate a saddle height issue, and I remembered that the location of the knee soreness can indicate if the saddle needs to be elevated or lowered....so, since I was going to pass my bike shop (that I LOVE dearly!!) on my way home, I stopped in. After the usual happy greetings by the boys (have I mentioned I LOVE them?!), and after a little question and answer session with Tim (who did my bike fit), he lowered my seat a smidge.....and fixed a little shifting issue I was having....and told me to follow up with him about my knees/seat after next weekend's long ride. These. Guys. Are. The. Best. !!!

Any way....good day, good ride. Some very valuable time was spent on the Black Cat today - my confidence is way up on her. I'd like a little more speed in my legs, but I suppose for the short time I've been cycling I'm doing okay. I will say, however, when I got off the bike after 80 miles I wondered how in the hell I'm going to run a full marathon!!! :eek:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/572150348

Actual ride: 80.95 miles in 4:36:01 for an average speed of 17.6 mph and an elevation gain of 5,212 feet

Swim

Just an easy evening recovery swim to shake out the legs and body from the day's adventure. :)

Actual swim: 2,000 lovely jubbly yards

Sunday, August 24th, 2014

Bike

This ride was never going to be about speed, but rather it turned out to be about...

....hills...and wind...and not aggravating the backs of my knees...and getting a box turtle out of the road...and cycling between two stopped trucks while spinning uphill (I was NOT about to stop going uphill!) without hitting either rear view mirror (success!!)...and realizing I know the guy who lives at the top of Rocky Branch where I always turn around (who knew??)...and feeling at times like I was cycling in sand...and chanting circle, circle, circle...and sometimes chanting f*ck, f*ck, f*ck...and doing a lot of math in my head...and thinking about a lot of *stuff* when I wasn't doing a lot of math in my head...and wondering how pgibbo and pmaldini were doing since I was missing their amazing IM finishes. :)

Not a bad ride. I can't believe I have less then 4 weeks to go. Wow. (:eek:)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/572929745

Actual ride: 40.39 miles in 2:31:02 for an average speed of 16 mph and an elevation gain of 2,808 feet

Swim

An evening swim in the wetsuit. I tried to squeeze it up the body without pulling on the exterior, but I only did a so-so job. I've found a few more surface gouges in the exterior :mad: so I'm going to have to get some Black Witch (or similar product if Black Witch is not sold in the states), and also try and be more careful. !!!

Actual swim: 2,000 very high-in-the-water yards

Monday, August 25th, 2014 (4 months until Christmas! :D)

Run plan: 4 miles easy, am....7 miles easy, pm

The first run was done sneaky lunchtime style under a gorgeous sky with the sun shining down upon me. It was a very good day to be living in the land of Dory - and the next few months should be equally as stunning as we are entering the best time of year here in the valley with slightly cooler weather yet full sun, all of which give rise to some amazing colors in the foliage. (I might be getting ahead of myself, but....)

Legs were a little stiff starting out on this first run, and my knees were still a bit sore as well...but I kept things easy breezy and life was grand. 6 laps, and I was done.

The second run was done after work in the super-comfortable evening air. Good god today was amazing! The right knee was (is) still feeling the weekend's bike in it, but I'm hopeful it will be a faded memory in a day or so. 10 laps around the field slow and easy, and run two was done and dusted. All good in the hood.

Actual runs: 4.2 easy field miles, am....7 easy field miles, pm

Swim

How could I resist a little evening recovery swim when the view of the setting sun from my pool was so spectacular? Plus, I decided to indulge myself yesterday....I upped the water temp to a super comfy-cozy 85 degrees. :D Sort of my little reward to myself....just, um, because. ;)

Actual swim: 1,000 warm water heavenly sunset yards

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014

Bike

A high noon spin on the Black Cat in sunshine and a breezy-breeze. I did my usual Rocky Branch to Shenk Hollow up-down-up-down route, and it felt pretty good. I started out slightly slow, but settled on the aerobars and tried to stay there as much as possible while upping the effort and speed a bit. I'm getting pretty good at going uphill on the bars....but I'm still not brave enough to go flyiing down while winding this way and that on them. In due time.

I had a few distractions on my ride that contributed to today's slow speed. One being a black snake that I passed on the way up Rocky Branch, causing me to check on him on the way back down only to realize he was not only merely dead, he was really most sincerely dead. ;) The other being a photo op with two dogs that have a routine that involves playfully chasing me on my way up Rocky Branch (they do not get close to me and are quite friendly - I know them), and then when they see me coming down Rocky Branch they run to the creek and sit on a rock and wait for me to pass by them. Too cute! :)

Any way....my Garmin is on my bike, and I am way too comfortable laying on the couch to retrieve it, so I'll just report my numbers from memory.

Actual bike: 19 miles in 1:08:00-ish for an average slow speed of 16.8-ish mph

Swim

1,000 yards easy
    6 x 400 yards w/pull buoy on 6 min - desc 1-3, 4-6
    400 yards easy

Finally!!! Finallyfinallyfinally!!!!! A proper session in which I didn't feel like a total slug in the water. !!!

Thank. God.
    <exhale>

In fact, I felt good in the water. Don't get me wrong, this was not my fastest 6 x 400 pull session, but this was good....this felt good....this felt pretty dang good.

The 400s were controlled, never too pushed, and I consciously held back a smidge due to having bloods done just 3 hours prior. Splits were - 5:43, 5:40, 5:35...5:40, 5:33, 5:28. Happy camper. :)

Actual swim: 3,800 un-sluglike yards

Oh, and it was another drop-dead gorgeous day here!! Whoop whoop!!!

• Advertisement

I am thanking your training. I am not thanking your comment about the weather, which utterly sucks here.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    One being a black snake that I passed on the way up Rocky Branch, causing me to check on him on the way back down only to realize he was not only merely dead, he was really most sincerely dead. ;)

And what if he wasn't?

pointer28 wrote: »
    And what if he wasn't?

It was just a black snake....so I was going to see about getting it out of the road so it wouldn't get hit by a car. :) Too late. :(

Just and Snake are not words that go well together for the average Irish person. They are the one animal the freak the absolute sh1t out of me.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Just and Snake are not words that go well together for the average Irish person. They are the one animal the freak the absolute sh1t out of me.

Ah now...you haven't lived until you've swam in a pool with a pet python. !!! :)

Right, that's the end of that, I'm never learning to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey DD,
    How are you? Just curious, are you still working off power on the bike? I haven't seen any mention of numbers or power lately.

Sounds like things are really coming together for you :cool:

P

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hey DD,
    How are you? Just curious, are you still working off power on the bike? I haven't seen any mention of numbers or power lately.

Sounds like things are really coming together for you :cool:

P

Hi P!! :) First...what an incredible IM you had!! I do hope you put together some sort of race report for us to learn from. So well executed, and so smartly done.

Regarding the bike - I am mainly just riding it at this stage. I haven't taken the time to properly learn about power (but I will secure that Power book soon (birthday/Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzza gift, perhaps?? ;))) - but I need to understand it, and will do so after I get through this IM, and then I will figure out how to use it to improve my cycling. My initial exposure to power was not good for me - totally exposed how weak I am on the bike, and that knocked me for a loop. But up off the floor I got, and I continue to plug forward. If you look at my Garmin links you can see my power stated there - quite embarrassing compared to the others around here. :o

I just read this, and Im sharing it with you as part of your motivation package. :)
    In an Ironman race, there will always be a time when things look truly bleak. It happens to everyone, and in that moment, it's difficult to imagine that it will end in anything other than disaster. Just keep eating, keep drinking, and keep moving; things will improve if you let them, and if you stay focused on small steps. Get to the top of the climb or through the next mile. Run to the next aid station. You can go from utterly destroyed to feeling great much faster than one might guess, but only by keeping an open mind to the possibility, a sense of humor when possible, and some perspective.

• Advertisement

I just read this, and Im sharing it with you as part of your motivation package. :)

I may need to write that on my arm..or arms....and maybe a leg...or two....to keep reminding me to look up, and forward, and to smile, and to get to the finish line. :) Thanks. !!!!

Advertisement