Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the moon a secret alien spacecraft?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

dlofnep wrote: »
    Because it's costly, and the budget has to be weighed up based on the benefits of landing on the moon for an hour or two might have against progressing towards a trip to Mars. (Which is what NASA is doing and has been doing)
    So they say. Don't always believe the American government. They have lied before.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Nope, Chuck Testa.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I hear some say, when the moon hits your eye like a big-a pizza pie, that's amore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

The moon is a griffin's egg hatching tomorrow night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Because it's costly, and the budget has to be weighed up based on the benefits of landing on the moon for an hour or two might have against progressing towards a trip to Mars. (Which is what NASA is doing and has been doing)
    I know this isn't the thread for this, but what exactly are the benefits of landing people on Mars? The cost and effort required would be better spent on establishing a (semi) permanent base on the moon or in orbit from which future missions such as to Mars can be launched. I'm not saying such a base could be built any time soon but I do think it's the best step forward rather than wasting resources on something that will have little tangible benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Adyx wrote: »
    I know this isn't the thread for this, but what exactly are the benefits of landing people on Mars? The cost and effort required would be better spent on establishing a (semi) permanent base on the moon or in orbit from which future missions such as to Mars can be launched. I'm not saying such a base could be built any time soon but I do think it's the best step forward rather than wasting resources on something that will have little tangible benefit.

The benefits are a better understanding of long distance space travel. Landing on the moon is only a novelty, and of little benefit at the moment. Coming up with the type of technology that would allow man to travel to Mars and back would be a much more substantial achievement.

We don't have to use the moon as a launch point - We can pre-launch fuel and cargo into near earth-orbit, prior to a mission to mars - rather than using the moon as a launch point.

It makes much more sense to go to Mars than to go back to the Moon. It will push us to create more innovative space technology, and will push the human species.

The only reason I'd ever want to go back to the moon, is if they were to build a permanent station there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The only reason I'd ever want to go back to the moon, is if they were to build a permanent station there.
    You won't have any choice. After the revolution people like you will used as slave labour in the Helium 3 mines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

5 pages in, and the obvious joke HASN'T been made?!?!?!

That's no moon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The benefits are a better understanding of long distance space travel. Landing on the moon is only a novelty, and of little benefit at the moment. Coming up with the type of technology that would allow man to travel to Mars and back would be a much more substantial achievement.

We don't have to use the moon as a launch point - We can pre-launch fuel and cargo into near earth-orbit, prior to a mission to mars - rather than using the moon as a launch point.

It makes much more sense to go to Mars than to go back to the Moon. It will push us to create more innovative space technology, and will push the human species.

That's what I was suggesting. Of course there is certainly no point in going back to the moon otherwise. I'm just not 100% convinced that putting a person on Mars for the sake of it is worth it. Developments in space exploration have reached a sort of plateau and with government cuts etc, the whole thing has stagnated. Maybe getting people to Mars would shake things up, but they should be aiming for 10/15 years time not 30.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DB21 wrote: »
    5 pages in, and the obvious joke HASN'T been made?!?!?!

That's no moon!!!
    It's been done visually numerous times.

Minas points for you.

Advertisement