Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Tour of Europe in a 1987 corolla.....In Detail!(pic heavy!)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Excellent trip lads and great photos to remember it by.
    It will be something to look back on and have a laugh about in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

unkel wrote: »
    Never seen that language before, is that Romansh per chance (a very small minority in Switzerland speak it). It looks more Romanian than Italian or Spanish

Its Swiss German or Schwyzerduetsch. Essentially the dialect thats spoken in Switzerland though this has also dozens of local variations. Its almost intelligible to ordinary German speakers.

The Swiss write German the same as ordinary German, but some still write it as its spoken.

Think of it as a strong dialect like Glaswegian English. Its the equivalent of writing:

"Ah kim fi Glasgoo".

Instead of:

"I come from Glasgow".

Sorry, but thats the best way I can explain it.

Incidentally Subaru are huge in Switzerland because of the 4X4 systems. The fact that they are petrol doesnt matter as Switzerland, because of the cold winters still has one of the highest percentage of petrol cars in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bijapos wrote: »
    Its Swiss German or Schwyzerduetsch.

I don't think it is. I know the sound of Swiss German, recognise it and can even understand it a bit (spent a lot of summer holidays as a teenager in northern Italy very close to the Swiss border). But as you say, written it is the same as German

That language on the sign is clearly a romanic language, not a germanic language

And you're right about Subarus being popular cars in many an area in the alps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Excellent pics lads! Thanks for sharing...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

wow, amazing trip! well done, some day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

5 star thread, nice one OP. Pics are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

why thank you! getting the itch again big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Class trip lads, yee were fairly moving in that mk2 golf on sunday back from claremorris. Now for a trip in the vw!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

The 'war office' is not going to be pleased with the content of this thread. She has suffered much on previous (motorcycle) road trips. I've been around France and Holland by Vintage Vespa. I know the hopeful/fearful feeling of tootling around without a safety net. Much respect.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Class trip lads, yee were fairly moving in that mk2 golf on sunday back from claremorris. Now for a trip in the vw!

indeed i was! what were ya driving yourself?

• Advertisement

The 'war office' is not going to be pleased with the content of this thread. She has suffered much on previous (motorcycle) road trips. I've been around France and Holland by Vintage Vespa. I know the hopeful/fearful feeling of tootling around without a safety net. Much respect.

why thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

ep71 wrote: »
    indeed i was! what were ya driving yourself?
    Let me introduce myself! I looked at your mk2 golf when you had it for sale with my uncle outside woodies.
    I was just after coming back from buying a mk1 jetta when I spotted your golf heading out the balla rd from claremorris, I was driving a carina e at the time. I also own 6 mk2 golfs, one of them I use as a daily its a big bumper diesel that needs paint badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Had Corolla van version of that model. U Got there before me - I had thought of doing something like that but thru Scandanavia and Eastern EU as well in a Citroen Berlingo / Renault Kangoo ex-Post van ( Modern day 2CV /R4 ??? ) -someday !

How about doin it in a Dacia ? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHV3pEbrUOA
    My Beautiful Dacia

The first Dacia cars were made in 1968, as part of Romania's dream of self-sufficiency. But when the Ceausescu regime collapsed, the country's automotive industry was sent spiralling into oblivion, as liberated Romanians rushed to buy western cars.

True Stories presents Julio Soto and Stefan Constantinescu's light-hearted portrayal of Romania's development from communism to capitalism, told through the Dacia.

Among those featured in the film are Mrs Dobrin, who preserves her Dacia as a memorial to her late husband; Dumitru Burlan, Ceausescu's double, who accompanied the Ceausescus in their Dacia on their ill-fated escape attempt; and Constantin Stroe, general manager of Dacia.

With Renault's help, the Dacia Logan is now taking on the tough world motor market, and, whatever happens, the Dacia will always remain one of the most iconic emblems of late-20th-century Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..dunno how I missed this thread, just saw it now for first time, after a reference in Classics thread.

Epic, just Epic, brilliant !

Btw, if you love Speyer, you'll love Sinsheim too. http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/en/aircraft

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement