Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G-Skill Ripjaws RAM from MemoryC - With free shipping!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Gaw_ wrote: »
    Is this actually free shipping? When you go to calculate shipping, it only states it's free for collection, definitely not the same as free shipping.
    Last time I ordered off them, I got next day free shipping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

as far as i remember they always have free shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The only reason you'd need more than 4 GB of RAM would be if you're looking to set up a RAMDisk, which would be pretty handy for Photoshop, gaming etc. Unless you want to get it for bragging rights and, if so, off you go! :P

First time ever hearing of RamDisk. Is it any good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never used one.

"The performance of a RAM disk is in general orders of magnitude faster than other forms of storage media, such as an SSD, hard drive, tape drive, or optical drive."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just remember you'll need the 64-bit Edition of Windows to use anything over 4GB of RAM, it'll still work, just the O/S won't be able to see more than 4GB of RAM

You can check the limitations of your O/S in here:

Windows 7
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Windows XP
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_xp

Windows Vista
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just remember you'll need the 64-bit Edition of Windows to use anything over 4GB of RAM, it'll still work, just the O/S won't be able to see more than 4GB of RAM

In practice a X86 system (non-server) can use a bit more than 3GB at best. Any more than 4GB of RAM installed works only psychologically :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Headshot wrote: »
    First time ever hearing of RamDisk. Is it any good?

I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure, but I'm going to try it soon. With that said, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure, but I'm going to try it soon. With that said, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Send me a pm about some feedback

Im just curious about it :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just nabbed 3 of them. 24GB of RAM will be bloody useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cheers op, Thats fugly ram but great price, I eat ram as I have three plus virtual machines going at any one time. Never ceases to amaze me how windows can run so much faster in virtual box on debian than it does directly on the same hardware.

I noticed the other day though that server 2008 actively serving up files on my computer was taking 16% of the ram and firefox with about 20 tabs open was taking 26% - the mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

paddyp wrote: »
    Cheers op, Thats fugly ram but great price, I eat ram as I have three plus virtual machines going at any one time. Never ceases to amaze me how windows can run so much faster in virtual box on debian than it does directly on the same hardware.

I noticed the other day though that server 2008 actively serving up files on my computer was taking 16% of the ram and firefox with about 20 tabs open was taking 26% - the mind boggles.
    Chrome is the same, you get a separate process for every chrome tab you have open and a lot of pages with active content just keep going in the background so you can end up with huge amounts of RAM and dozens of processes, just taken up with the browser.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I already have [ Ripjaws ] F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2Gx2) / F3-12800CL8Q-8GBRM (2Gx4) in my computer, will this memory be compatible? I think the timings are slightly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Would these work in my current AM3 motherboard since they are for sandy bridge?

According to the gigabyte website it supports:

1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
    2. Dual channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR3 1866(OC)(Note 2)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
    Thanks

Advertisement