Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hate touch screen phones!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Still have my old N95 for years, what are these touch screen phones ye speak of? Some future invention? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I didn't like it when I first got my smartphone but I got used to it quickly. The auto-text can be a nuisance at times, but it can also be really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I love the "people might think you're poor":confused: post...Know it was only sarcasm but must get something really upscale so my friends will hang out with me!!l:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

It's almost a badge of honour these days. Look at me with my crappy phone! Oh times are tough etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Dotrel wrote: »
    It's almost a badge of honour these days. Look at me with my crappy phone! Oh times are tough etc.
    Or...I don't have the money to pay the bill but my phone is sooooo cool!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

What's wrong with button phones? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mackg wrote: »
    Beat me to it!

And the milkman as well!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dotrel wrote: »
    If I didn't want internet, I'd have a basic phone - not to make a statement but because all I'd need it for would be ringing/texting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Dudess wrote: »
    If I didn't want internet, I'd have a basic phone - not to make a statement but because all I'd need it for would be ringing/texting.

Internet on phone is vital, got the bus from Cork to Tralee yesterday and there were huge delays, road works or something, would have cracked up if it wasn't for the entertainment I got out of that Halloween costume scrap from yesterday evening!:)

What did I do with my time before I started posting here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

You're hardly going to buy a boat and then complain on boards "hate boats!" - If you don't like touch screen phones, don't buy one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Had a smartphone, a fairly low range one all the same, but it drove me insane.
    Went back to my 3 year old Sony Ericsson that does exactly what it says on the tin, and I don't have to charge it every day, the alarm actually works, and I can text properly without slamming the ****ing thing off my forehead.

I do miss the apps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

I dont actually mind mine too much, only have it a few months though!
    At least it stopped me textin when driving which is good as I used to be a terror for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Try turning the phone sideways to get the full sized keyboard. Take a few days alright to get used to it after a Nokia 5800 but you will build up your speed with every text.

I do agree that calling those damn auto-mated response numbers "press 1 to speak to somebody" are annoying and you need Jedi-speed to do it before the screen goes dark, or you drop the call by mistake. Arrrgghh !!!!

But they are great yokes really once you get used to them.
    Samsung wins ... to hell with iPhones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The problem is that it's the damn touch screen photos that are best spec'd. I use my phone for Broadband so has to have tethering on it. I also watch quite a lot of videos on it too and non-touchscreen phones have tiny screens.

Was watching a tech docu last week and in a year or so we will start to see bendable and foldable screens, so perhaps button phones might make a come back then as there will be more space available on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Samsung phones are great whether they're button phones or touch-screen ones. The one I'm using now is a Tocco Lite SGH-5230, and the best thing about it is I can use a pen (or stylus, as I call it) on the qwerty keyboard through a clear plastic bag and I don't have to worry about scratching the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Got my first and last touch screen nearly 3 years ago. Best phone have had, and have no plans to replace it any time some.

Update the software on it every so often, update the sat nav every so often, for free as well, only thing I dislike is the battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Blackberrys FTW :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have a touchscreen phone.

I can text properly. I can use a number menu easily to press a key if required during a call. I clean the screen easily with a wipe on my tshirt/pants. I have no difficulty with it at all.

It's not rocket surgery, or brain science ffs.
    Yes, I did that deliberately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

So my HTC Sensation is in for repair..... Guess what I'm using?

A Nokia 6310i :cool: Ain't charged it yet, still a good weeks battery left... I could literally use it blindfolded, Can repair it myself, Simple 4 T6 screws and pop it off.

It'll be nice to get my HTC back, but sometimes its nice to use something old just for that retro feel.
    Best phone I think is the Tocco Ultra, either use the buttons or the touch for texting. Pitty they never replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Currently using a Nokia E52 ****e phone in general but brilliant for texting. Its ideal for sending out large group texts but have had it in the shop 5 or 6 times this year so far. The memory on it is brutal as well. I think i'd find it hard to use a touchscreen phone. Are there any decent phones coming out now that have a normal keypad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I just like buttons, I dont like the touching and i dont like the way it makes me think other screens are touch when they are not, maybe there is somehting wrong with my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

all those high tek phones are not all they are made out too be i know a lot of people who have had nothing but problems with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

all those high tek phones are not all they are made out too be i know a lot of people who have had nothing but problems with them

You're dead right. I had a Siemens C25 in 1999 that broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Siri told me that the moaners on this thread just can't afford a cool smart phone;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Siri told me that the moaners on this thread just can't afford a cool smart phone;)

It told me that too, it also said that only pov touch screen phones are no use for texting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The change over from smoke signals to telegrams still gives me nightmares

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

All I want is a decent android phone that has a QWERTY keypad that slides out so you still have a big screen for apps. Is there one in Ireland? Nope. Not on one of the networks, bill pay or pre pay. They've loads of them in America and the rest of Europe, why not have them over here?! The only QWERTY keypads are either on blackberry and nokia's and I'm too poor for a blackberry and too hateful of Nokia for not running android. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

JaneLane wrote: »
    All I want is a decent android phone that has a QWERTY keypad that slides out so you still have a big screen for apps. Is there one in Ireland? Nope. Not on one of the networks, bill pay or pre pay. They've loads of them in America and the rest of Europe, why not have them over here?! The only QWERTY keypads are either on blackberry and nokia's and I'm too poor for a blackberry and too hateful of Nokia for not running android. :D

If only you had the internet you could buy one from a foreign land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

jluv wrote: »
    I have a Nokia that cost €19.99 at Tesco. Calls great,texts great, camera great,alarm great...what else you need a phone for? But my friends cringe when I don't produce the latest model of whatever,that they then go on to point out the faults in their high tech phones...Ah Xmas coming up. Might get something fancy!

Why would I want X?
    I might get X!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have you experimented with innovative solutions such as not buying one?

Advertisement