Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Invaders of Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Father of Con MacAirt? (if my vague memory serves at all?)
    Am I correct in thinking that the modern surname Harte is descended from this line?

I am descended from the female Haplogroup: H5 (H5a1 to be exact)
    The H5 group cover Populations: Lebanese, Polish, Irish.
    H5a1 goes back to Lebanon about 6,500 thousand years ago apparently.
    So H5a1 worked it's way over from Lebanon, through Poland, France and into Ireland.
    The H group itself goes back further than 15,000 years and is the most common Haplogroup in Europe.

You could be looking at an origin among the first people to bring argiculture into Ireland, given that agriculture spread from the Middle East (Fertile Crescent).

I see on wikipedia they state H5a (and subgroups) is nearly absent from middle East implying it arose in Europe (spread at about 2% of Europeans)

Conn Cétchathach (hundred battles)
    -->Art mac Cuinn
    ----> Cormac mac Airt (of Fionn and the Fianna fame)

Well that's well before surnames became adopted in Ireland (9/10th century). Here's what Woulfe says in his book:

Ó hAIRT—I—O Hairt, O'Hart, O'Harte, Hart, Harte; 'descendant of Art' (bear, stone, noble); the name of a Meath family originally seated in the neighbourhood of Tara, but dispossessed soon after the Anglo-Norman invasion, when they settled in the barony of Carbury, in Co. Sligo. The name is still very common in Connacht.

Mac AIRT—M'Art, M'Arte, MacCart, (MacArthy, Hart, Harte,); 'son of Arth'; very rare.

Enkidu made some intersting observations on Art in this thread I posted about Bears in the Gaeilge Forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056378853

Advertisement