Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer beware

Options
  • 02-11-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hometec promotions on the Sunday 6th nov at the Greenhills hotel Limerick from (2pm-5pm). Phone number 059 9139550
    Got a flyer in the door this morning. Thousands of offers on all kinds of electricals. Sony Vario laptop 16.4" loptop 4 GB ram only 150euro, xbox 360 only 40 euros.
    Sold as overstock. Dont belive a word of it because 95% of stock was handed back over faults, not working.
    The sale goes like this, They give away small stuff away first, some for nothing to get the place warmed up, to get people used of putting up their hand, than more stuff for a euro or 2, by this time people are more relaxed and are more willing to bid for the dearer stuff.
    They tell you that the big stuff is comming later like the laptops and led tvs, than for the last 45 mins they auction some of the bigger electeral stuff, all for a lot more than they were advertised for.
    By the time the buyers get home and plug in their goods the sellers have left the hotel.
    By the time the buyer gets back to the hotel looking for a refund, the sellers are well gone.
    The hotel wont give you a refund, they say they just rented out a room and what goes on in there is non of their businness. Remember the phone no is not even Irish. The whole thing is a scam.
    Some people will not know this and think they can bag a bargin.
    Pass on the news of this to relatives and friends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

These things are always scams and you can be sure that anyone who does get a good deal on a branded item is working with the scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I couldn't believe people were still falling for these things when I saw the leaflet in the letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I couldn't believe people were still falling for these things when I saw the leaflet in the letterbox.

+1 Especially where it says across the top of the leaflet:

"Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovator" Permit No. 00518
    VAT No. 9717148J"

Makes it look sort of official and Government approved....

On second thoughts - maybe it is - another form of a stealth tax :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Hometec promotions on the Sunday 6th nov at the Greenhills hotel Limerick from (2pm-5pm). Phone number 059 9139550

The hotel wont give you a refund, they say they just rented out a room and what goes on in there is non of their businness. Remember the phone no is not even Irish. The whole thing is a scam.
    Some people will not know this and think they can bag a bargin.
    Pass on the news of this to relatives and friends.

Wouldn't touch anything in there with a barge pole but is that not a Carlow number?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

People will always be blinded by cheap prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Twin-go wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch anything in there with a barge pole but is that not a Carlow number?:confused:

Google the number. Doesn't make for interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

Do a Google on the phone number,some good stories. http://travelandtickets.info/your-questions-about-hotel-bargains-14/ bottom of post.Vat and commission on all sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

a similar scam:

I've seen a movie on YT about the hotel version, will post it when I find it

edit:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

im surprised at the greenhills facilitating this. Whether its genuine or not it looks all wrong.

betonit wrote: »
    im surprised at the greenhills facilitating this. Whether its genuine or not it looks all wrong.

I'm not surprised the Greene family are hosting this in their hotel actually.

Money is money I guess. Principles are second. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Theres been some of these in South Court Hotel too.

Went to the last one just for the entertainment value and seeing the shills and
    and the way the guy doing the talking worked the crowd that thought they were going to get a bargain. They make people wait for quite a while after the
    advertised time on the flyers just so they will work up a frenzy before the thing even starts.

Went to another a good few years back in town where they handed out flyers, rented a shop that had closed down for an hour or two and this one was more agressive. They got everyone into the shop floor, and had overgrown muscle men/thugs block the doors and stand around the crowd. The guy doing the talking insisted on taking a fiver off of everyone at the start to recieve a plastic stick (with the line only people with the sticks could bid) He then told anyone without a stick they could not stay and to leave. (Cue loads more people that thought they would stay till the end all of a sudden hand over a fiver just so they can wait for the "good" stuff)
    The usual mystery black bin liner bag tricks were used. At the same one seen some people complain or come back into the shop after they realised they were conned only to have the muscle men threaten/indimitate them.

The two I was at, both had an english bloke doing the talking with the kind of
    accent you would hear on the UK TV ads where they are trying to sell you wonder glue, or the slicer and dicer, or the magic car polish, same banter, accent and cringeworthy jokes. The shills all had english accents too, as if they travelled from the UK as professional scam artists to tour the place.

Loved the camera that was shown on one of the vids on you tube. Seen the same one used on the two mock auctions I went to, and have seen the same one being sold down the market out of the back of a truck.
    It looks sooo fake I dunno how anyone could be fooled into thinking it was a bargain...or even real.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Criminal Investigation Branch Block D,
    Ashtowngate,
    Dublin 15 01 8277500 01 8277682 mbeagan@revenue.ie
    I have emailed the flyer to this branch, hopefully they will check the vat no.
    And also look at permit no

Will also be dropping into henry st.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

I am glad someone has highlighted this as I was just going to post it myself.
    please pass on the word to anyone you know,even post it on facebook.
    it's true that all items are faulty returns that are bought up by these scammers and sold on to us as bargains.
    as the old saying goes IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THEN IT IS.
    save your money and don't but it.

btw the prices on the flyer are only starting prices,the bigger items all get auctioned off starting at that price and are all returns that have sometimes dangerous electrical faults,,don't risk your life for a bargain....

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I'm up for a group of boardsies going down, stand outside, and warn people before they go in, hate these fcukers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

No surprise they are hosting this, the Greenhills have hosted some notorious scams and criminal outfits in the past.

Friends mother bought about £300 (at the time) worth of furniture from a "tradeshow" type thing there in past.
    Her furniture, along with loads of other people furniture, was never delivered and the "company" had disappeared with the cash. This was around 1999.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Friends mother bought about £300 (at the time) worth of furniture from a "tradeshow" type thing there in past.
    Her furniture, along with loads of other people furniture, was never delivered and the "company" had disappeared with the cash. This was around 1999.
    not surprised at that at all,,this weeks scam is offering white goods like dryers etc,just wondering if its going to be the same thing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

Criminal Investigation Branch Block D,
    Ashtowngate,
    Dublin 15 01 8277500 01 8277682 mbeagan@revenue.ie
    I have emailed the flyer to this branch, hopefully they will check the vat no.
    And also look at permit no

Will also be dropping into henry st.

how did you get on in Henry st

im going to this in the morning with my dad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Are you planning to spend money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The video seemed very likely that Mad Bid website. Anyone ever use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

passed there about 10.30am this morning - big queue out the doors.

passed there about 10.30am this morning - big queue out the doors.

Hopefully they don't get shafted and for those who do get shafted maybe they will learn the phrase "there is no such thing as a free meal".

I'm convinced Live 95fm were advertising this on Friday afternoon outside Brown Thomas on Thomas Street. Guy with an English accent giving stuff away for €5 calling it "the greatest deal you will ever get".

tippman1 wrote: »
    Are you planning to spend money?

was just out there avoid people

stupid people paying for toothbrushes and plates lol its an auction you guys and plsu what you buy they add 35% more 20 per cent tax & 15 per cent sellers fee

i asked him where does it say on the flyer that this is and auction he ignored me i said excuse me i asked you a question he asked me leave

i told him that you are coning the public and so close to christmas where people are stuck for cash and hoping to get a christmas present for there kids

i left then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Went to something like this in the Raddison a few years ago. Saw people part with 600-700 euro for 22" tv's, madness.

Fools and their money soon part. You would think in these times that people would have a bit more cop on.

this will be an interesting read from tomorrow after the fallout,just looking at the flyer where it states that visa laser etc are accepted,god help anyone who gives those scumbags their credit card info.
    going up later armed with camera,might get some interesting shots.

also posted on facebook to all my friends so hopefully the message will reach some at least but there are plenty of stupid people out there.

watch this space.

Be very careful, these type can be heavy handed, I'd doubt you will be left in with a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I dont think many people are going to come on hear and put their hand up
    And say that they were caught, Pride will not let them.
    And theres a awful lot going to be caught by this evening.

Advertisement