Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timex Run Trainer - Finally a Garmin alternative?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Any further updates on how you're getting on with this? I'm seriously considering upgrading from my Garmin 110. My OH will be over with family in the US in May so I can order it for him to collect for around €130 - very tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

runrabbit wrote: »
    Any further updates on how you're getting on with this? I'm seriously considering upgrading from my Garmin 110. My OH will be over with family in the US in May so I can order it for him to collect for around €130 - very tempting...

Been for a couple more runs with it, Thursday night & this afternoon. Here's my likes & dislikes about it so far...

Pros:
    Screens fully configurable, not just from the watch, but extremely easily from the Device Agent Software on the laptop.
    3 or 4 fields of data on the one screen.
    3 other screens available at the press of a button, configurable.
    TrainingPeaks software seems pretty good to me, having only used MapMyRun before though, I don't really have much to compare it to.
    Buttons instead of a Bezel, which was what really put me off the Garmin 405 when I borrowed one to try it out.
    Battery life looks awesome so far, not a flinch from 4 bars since first charged, 3 runs & some 20 minutes or so of configuration messing with GPS & HRM, and sampling set to 1-second.

Cons:
    Lack of Current Lap Pace field - though this has been highlighted to Timex and they should be able to fix it in a future firmware update.
    Can't race against a previous run or pace - though there are pace alerts for above & below a specified pace. Though this is only available in the higher end Garmins I believe (I stand to be corrected on that).

I would have included the backlight in the cons as it only stays on for 2 secs so hard to take in all 4 data fields in that time. However, I have since found out that by holding the light button down until it beeps 3 times, ie beeeeeep, beep-beep, the light will stay on permanently until it his pressed again. I'll test that out on Tuesday night.

Overall I'm really liking it so far. I thought it was slightly big on first getting it, but even on my small wrist it fits fine, and isn't anywhere near as big as the 405s extended hard strap, but has a bigger screen area.
    It is noticeably bigger than the 110/210, so you would need to be fully aware of that. Though the extra functionality makes up for that in my opinion.

For full details on it are available from dcrainmaker's review and 201 comparison.
    I'll still be a while figuring out all the configurable fields and finding the best setup for myself, but unless it stops working I can't see anything to disappoint me so far.

Thanks, that's great. I've tried on the 405 (it's what I originally wanted) and with the hard strap it's just too wide for my wrist. I might try to get a look at the timex somewhere in ireland to suss out the size.

Current lap pace is something I do use so that's annoying. How's the HRM (sorry for all the questions!)

runrabbit wrote: »
    Thanks, that's great. I've tried on the 405 (it's what I originally wanted) and with the hard strap it's just too wide for my wrist. I might try to get a look at the timex somewhere in ireland to suss out the size.

Current lap pace is something I do use so that's annoying. How's the HRM (sorry for all the questions!)

I've been using current pace, so am getting by with that. Its my first gps watch, so I'm not really missing current lap pace to be honest.
    The HRM, again as its my first time using one, seems to be pretty good, but it'll take me time to get proper use out of it and decide if I switch to HR based sessions or not.

Dunno where you're based in the country, but I'll be at the Craughwell 10 mile this Sunday & the Connemara Half.
    If you're doing either of those you're welcome to have a look at the watch before or after. No other races entered yet, I'm very much a late decision make on whether or not I'll race on a weekend, and almost always in the Galway region.

I've been using current pace, so am getting by with that. Its my first gps watch, so I'm not really missing current lap pace to be honest.
    The HRM, again as its my first time using one, seems to be pretty good, but it'll take me time to get proper use out of it and decide if I switch to HR based sessions or not.

Dunno where you're based in the country, but I'll be at the Craughwell 10 mile this Sunday & the Connemara Half.
    If you're doing either of those you're welcome to have a look at the watch before or after. No other races entered yet, I'm very much a late decision make on whether or not I'll race on a weekend, and almost always in the Galway region.

Thanks again, that's very helpful. I never bothered getting the HRM for the garmin but I'd like to get one at some stage. It's fantastic value for the amount of features it has and if they sort out the lap pace issue with a firmware update then it would seem like it has the full package. I have another month to decide anyway.

I'm over the other side of the country unfortunately and won't be heading west for any races anytime soon but thanks a million for the offer and all your help! I'll ring a few of the running/tri stores and see if they have it in stock and also keep an eye out at any races to see if I can try it on before I order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

Really interested in ordering this from Amazon.com, can be got for $124.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P65RVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Only problem is Amazon don't ship to ireland, anybody got any suggestions?

redved wrote: »
    Really interested in ordering this from Amazon.com, can be got for $124.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P65RVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Only problem is Amazon don't ship to ireland, anybody got any suggestions?

Be careful with that - there's a few Timex GPS watches.
    The Global Trainer is a bit of a monstrosity while its newer smaller, more expensive brother is the Run Trainer.

They have also released a new slimmer watch, the Marathon Trainer for those who want the info while running but have no interest in downloading and analyzing the data.
    There is a long winded way around this if you read through DC Rainmakers review though.:)

Back to your question I ordered mine from Ebay not Amazon to get around the issue of delivery to Ireland. Have had no issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

hey, thanks for that, might give ebay a shot.
    I'm not too bothered about the size and the dcrainmaker review was pretty positive

Advertisement