Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ennis need another Shopping Centre?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Tesco store in Ennis opened about 40 years ago (back then it was Quinnsworth of course). Is this still the same Tesco in operation today? Has it even been refurbished since the 70s/80s?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Still the same store, it has had a couple of re-fits in line with changing Tesco brands but I can't remember there being any big structural changes, I was over there once when it was raining and staff were going around with buckets from where the water was going to come in the roof, they knew where the leaks were cause it always leaked in the same place but couldn't close the shop to get it fixed.

IMVHO, the staff in Ennis are some of the nicest Tesco staff you'll come across, they always go out of their way to help you and are a credit to the company, but when you go to other Tesco stores you see the difference, the car park is a joke (spaces too small and the layout in shocking), the store is run down, not nearly big enough to carry a lot of the stock and the lanes are very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The issues with it could be fixed fairly easily they just haven't spent much on the existing location because they were planning on moving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know if they'd be able to do much with the current location, it's a 40 year old building with a flat roof, to fix it and the car park they would have to knock it and start again I'd imagine, with all the units taken in the place as well I would imagine that they wouldn't be able to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know if they'd be able to do much with the current location, it's a 40 year old building with a flat roof, to fix it and the car park they would have to knock it and start again I'd imagine, with all the units taken in the place as well I would imagine that they wouldn't be able to do that

I've seen much larger Tescos squeezed into much smaller sites than the one in ennis, decked car parking etc with a decent architect it could be done. Although they would have to compensate the existing leaseholders in the centre but its not impossible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement