Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family secrets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Years ago I worked a field (that I rented) from a rocky barren patch into a fertile and productive plot from which I could make a decent living. However the woman who owned this field decided to auction it off. This was my field. I killed a yank who had the cheek to bid for it (hit him with me shtick I did). Keeps me awake at night so it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

My family used to have a big secret until my father/uncle josef was caught.

http://www.eurocriticsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/fritzl-300x276.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I didn't think the IRA thing was a secret really. My great granddad was in the old IRA and everyone knew.

I mean he's in a book and everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My grandfather was caught trapping goldfinch's ...the shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

i'm fairly sure that my sister is actually my half-sister, seeing as my Mam and Dad didn't get together until she was 7. The dates have just never made sense. I've never queried it though, I don't think it matters all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That makes me you grandfather. Don't tell Bruce though, he'll only be upset that his life is based on a lie
    you're a joker

Batman has no father !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

My dear old granny, the one in the rocking chair with the pissy smelling shawl wrapped around her shoulders and the blue rinse, once had a scandalous affair. An affair that resulted in my youngest uncle. See, we were all young once!
    OK so this was my families worst kept secret. It's just that I always thought it was a joke. It wasn't until a few years following her death that they told me it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

My dear old granny, the one in the rocking chair with the pissy smelling shawl wrapped around her shoulders and the blue rinse, once had a scandalous affair. An affair that resulted in my youngest uncle. See, we were all young once!
    OK so this was my families worst kept secret. It's just that I always thought it was a joke. It wasn't until a few years following her death that they told me it was true.

Isn't it about time you took her out of the rocking chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Dammit - just found out than none of my grandads were in the old IRA.
    Stupid family secrets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Isn't it about time you took her out of the rocking chair?
    No that's the way they do things at the Bates Motel.

• Advertisement

No that's the way they do things at the Bates Motel.

In your scenario who plays Master Bates?.........:p

In your scenario who plays Master Bates?.........:p
    Anthony Perkins.

Conventional and straight laced, I see.....hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It's big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

mackg wrote: »
    :eek:

you do realise I was messing, don't you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'll tell you something that nobody knows about my Joey.

Wherever he went, or wherever he played, he always sent me a postcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm my own father, my mothers a virgin, I can do tricks with fish and bread, and loads of people follow my every word (although different people interpret those words in different ways, leading to strife). Shhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Didn't think the IRA thing was really that big a deal. My Dad's side of our family is very immersed in IRA stuff, and not just old IRA, but the IRA that it's not OK to be a part of, apparently. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm phasers' sister's father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

my wifes grandad was the man who decided wether you were a spoofer or not when it came to membership of the Old IRA:cool: And wether you received a pension or not as a result. And not that many pensions were authorised....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Solnskaya wrote: »
    my wifes grandad was the man who decided wether you were a spoofer or not when it came to membership of the Old IRA:cool: And wether you received a pension or not as a result. And not that many pensions were authorised....

Did he ever meet you ?...just asking :D...nothing to do with spoofing or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Secret No.1:
    My dad's mother's father's family used to be really wealthy. We didn't know that they were until we looked up the 1901 census when it came out online. They had a huge farm in Galway (the farm is still in the family but its a LOT smaller now), and they employed half a dozen servants and lived in a this big manor house (my family don't live in it anymore. The house is part of their neighbours farm now). Sometime between 1901 and 1911 they lost the house and all their money somehow. It's a big mystery. :confused:

Secret No.2:
    Where are my grandfather's (dad's dad) sisters and brothers?

My grandfather was 3 years old when his father died. Soon afterwards, the Catholic Church came and took my grandfather and his 7 siblings away from their mother. Apparently being a single mother was frowned upon in those days even if you were a widow. :mad: My grandfather never saw his mother again. All his brothers and sisters were sent to different orphanages so he lost touch with them too.

My grandfather has been searching for them his whole life. He's 84 now and has only managed to find 3 of the 7; an older sister in Wexford, an older brother in Cork, and his youngest sister who was sent to New York to be adopted. We think 2 of his brothers were sent to Australia. My aunts wrote to all the people with our surname in Melbourne (the city they were sent to) looking for them but we had no luck.

That's heart breaking..the ****e people had to go through!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Bajingo wrote: »
    That's heart breaking..the ****e people had to go through!

What happened to my grandfather and his family is just one of the many crimes the Catholic Church has inflicted on this country. They've got a lot for fcuking answer for!! :mad: My grandfather hates the Catholic Church and refused bring up his own 7 kids up in it even though it meant that they couldn't go to the best schools. Obviously no one in my family is a fan of the Catholic Church. We've all heard the horror stories my grandfather tells about them.

We found out that my great-grandmother was sent to a Magdalene Laundry after the kids got taken away from her. We know she was there for at least 5 years until either they let her go or she escaped. My aunt Kathleen found her name on a passenger list of a ship heading to Liverpool from Dublin in 1935. No one's has been able to find any trace of her after that so we think she might have changed her name once she got to England (one of the reason why we think she might have escaped from the Laundry, they were prisons for women after all, she was probably scared that they'd find her and send her back). We don't know if she ever tried to get her kids after she went to England, although by that point, her youngest daughter Katie had already been adopted and her oldest sons had been sent away to Australia. We don't even know if she knew where her children were or what had happened to them.

The first sibling my grandfather found was Katie who was sent to America. The Americans kept better records than the CC did. My grandfather wrote to all the adoption agencies he could find in New York and a few years went by and he heard nothing back, then when he'd almost given up, she got in touch with him in the 70's. She was adopted by an Irish-American family and her name had been changed from Katherine to Kathleen. She came over here a few times to visit him and he went over there once to see her (my grandfather never had the money to go over more than that) but they wrote letters to each other constantly and in 1984 when my uncle immigrated to the US, Kathleen took him in and helped him get started out there. Kathleen/Katie died in 2000.

My grandther didn't find the next sibling until the mid 90's... his sister Margaret in Enniscorthy. My father moved from Dublin to Wexford to be near her. He only lives 10 minutes away from her. They see each other everyday and are quite close now.

He found one of his brothers, Thomas, in 2005. He lives in Cork City and since my grandfather lives in Wexford they manage to see each other regularly. I've met Tom and his two daughters and most of his family. I actually look almost identical to Tom's granddaughter Sharon.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

My Dad's a spy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ellie, that's a truely saddening story.

My father was adopted but he never spoke about it. I didn't know till a few years ago actually. I guess if he/I went through anything like that I wouldn't want to talk about it either. :(

I'm all depressed now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My great grand dad was British intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Neither of my Grandfathers were in the RA as far as I know. One was a traveller and the other was more worried about feeding his 10 kids than what a passport would like like if he could ever afford it. :pac:

Couple of Uncles have been in prison. One back in the day for official IRA membership, bit like getting convicted of rape for looking at someone. :pac: Other one's been in and out of prison for 35-odd years. Most recently he was done for beating the **** out of two PSNI officers. Their own fault really, he was having a row with a phonebox and they decided to interfere. :pac:

Advertisement