Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

dilallio wrote: »
    Thanks ballinadog,
    If the junction at McDonalds is not taking place as part of this contract, does that mean that traffic exiting the retail park (Currys/Omniplex) towards town, will have to exit in the usual way, but then perform a u-turn at the new lights?
    dilallio

NO u turn allowed at new lights... Traffic leaving Omniplex etc will have to go thru junction, up to Menlo park roundabout and perform u turn there... I'd imagine the Council will however amend the exit themselves in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

ballinadog wrote: »
    NO u turn allowed at new lights... Traffic leaving Omniplex etc will have to go thru junction, up to Menlo park roundabout and perform u turn there... I'd imagine the Council will however amend the exit themselves in time

Thanks ballinadog,
    That's mental - that's over 1.5km just to get back to where you started. If the plans for the menlo junction had been accepted, would we have to travel to Headford to turn back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Why is the change though included in the Original drawings i.e those on the Galway City Council Website - if there is no works to be carried out here?
    This is the section I am referring to above.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I believe there will be right turns available on Sean Mulvoy Rd, though I'm not sure if they'll be u-turn capable.

We'll probably end up seeing something like the turns on the Malahide Rd in Dublin that allow right turns and u-turns where there is a median divider e.g. this turn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Why is the change though included in the Original drawings i.e those on the Galway City Council Website - if there is no works to be carried out here?
    antoobrien wrote: »
    I believe there will be right turns available on Sean Mulvoy Rd, though I'm not sure if they'll be u-turn capable.

We'll probably end up seeing something like the turns on the Malahide Rd in Dublin that allow right turns and u-turns where there is a median divider e.g. this turn

I was asking someone yesterday about this - he tells me the only right turn allowed across Sean Mulvoy rd. will be for those exiting Sean Mulvoy Park. Traffic coming from the new junction wishing to enter Sean Mulvoy Park will have to go up to Cemetery Cross roundabout, go round, and travel back down.

• Advertisement

I was asking someone yesterday about this - he tells me the only right turn allowed across Sean Mulvoy rd. will be for those exiting Sean Mulvoy Park. Traffic coming from the new junction wishing to enter Sean Mulvoy Park will have to go up to Cemetery Cross roundabout, go round, and travel back down.

Is this change in any drawings?

FYI
    There will also be a right turn exit from the New Galway Shopping Centre exit/entrance on the Sean Mulvoy Road.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_01.pdf

Is this change in any drawings?

FYI
    There will also be a right turn exit from the New Galway Shopping Centre exit/entrance on the Sean Mulvoy Road.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_01.pdf

The new drawings are available on the tender. From what I can tell from the drawings, this idea has been dropped and there is to be kerbing installed for approx 30m past the LILO entrance with a yellow box to keep the roadway clear.

The plans indicate that it's no right turn for entrance from the Seam Mulvoy Rd i.e. one can not enter the Mulvoy Commercial Park from the Sean Mulvoy road heading south. The turns only facilitate right turns exiting the Commercial Park onto Sean Mulvoy Road.

There's also a drawing that indicates the entrance to Dun Na Coiribe will be a fully light controlled junction.

I saw the roads engineers laying out markings this morning on the exit to the Mulvoy Commercial Park.

The new drawings are available on the tender. From what I can tell from the drawings, this idea has been dropped and there is to be kerbing installed for approx 30m past the LILO entrance with a yellow box to keep the roadway clear.

The plans indicate that it's no right turn for entrance from the Seam Mulvoy Rd i.e. one can not enter the Mulvoy Commercial Park from the Sean Mulvoy road heading south. The turns only facilitate right turns exiting the Commercial Park onto Sean Mulvoy Road.

There's also a drawing that indicates the entrance to Dun Na Coiribe will be a fully light controlled junction.

Hi antoobrien, do you need a user on the e-tender website for viewing those documents?
    Thanks
    what_traffic

Hi antoobrien, do you need a user on the e-tender website for viewing those documents?
    Thanks
    what_traffic

No, they are "free to air" at the moment, attached to the tender information. It's a bit like the planning apps that the city & co councils have, one just has to know where to look to get the information (for now, they might require registration in future).

I'm not sure how long they wait to make the docs public because I've seen some tenders (e.g. N25 New Ross Bypass) that initially had no maps available initially but they were put up a few weeks later. The e-tender website is being replaced by a Europe wide site, so it might explain why certain things are not appearing.

The only reason I haven't posted screenshots here is because some of them are very complex and if one doesn't know that certain codes reference (there are some codes that are assumed and not included in keys e.g. road sign codes) it would just muddy the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

This exit is frankly dangerous and needs to be redesigned. If you look at the path taken by the straight on cyclists - yellow arrow - they are exposed to weaving traffic crossing them from both the left and the right - blue arrows.

259813.jpg

The left slip needs to be shortened considerably or removed. Likewise the sweeping curve into the shopping centre is dangerous and needs to be tightened up into a proper 90 degree turn with a tight corner. Other wise omit this entrance altogether.

Looking at the plans linked by Antoobrien from the tender documents it seems this junction is now to be slightly less offensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

There is another problematic aspect with the current design which is the use of slip roads.

To go back to first principles, one of the reasons for removing the roundabouts is because the design used in Galway is hostile for cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians. The reason why the roundabouts historically favoured by Galway City Council are so hostile is because they are effectively set out as a series of slip roads with traffic entering and a leaving at a shallow angle rather than making 90 degree turns. This encourages higher turning speeds and creates a situation where cyclists and motor cyclists are at particular risk from cars or other vehicles that fail to yield.

The scenario highlighted in the red circle here illustrates the problem.

261347.gif

So in effect a main reason for removing Irish roundabouts is to get rid of slip roads. The issue of slip roads is acknowledged in the recently published Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,32669,en.pdf
    (File is about 5Mb)

Page 104
    Omit left turn slips, which generally provide little extra effective vehicular capacity but are highly disruptive for pedestrians and cyclists. Where demand warrants, they may be replaced with left turning lanes with tighter corner radii (see Figure 4.59).
    Figure 4.59: Left turning slips (left) generally offer little benefit in terms of junction capacity and increase the number of crossings pedestrians must navigate. They also allow vehicles to take corners at higher speeds, exposing pedestrians and cyclists to greater danger. Where a large number of turning movements occur, left turning lanes (right) with tighter corner radii should be used.

In the Bodkin redesign, the city council are partially replacing problematic slip roads with more slip roads.

In this screen grab we can see slip roads at the Sean Mulvoy outbound and going from the Bridge onto the Headford road outbound. (Tender file 60051475_N6-141.7_T_B.pdf)

261348.jpg

There is also to be a slip road arrangement at the new junction with Dun Na Coiribe (Tender file 60051475_N6-141.7_T_B.pdf)

261349.jpg

Of these, the slips at Sean Mulvoy Road and Dun Na Coiribe are the most problematic as these are "yield" based. The cycle lanes will be keeping cyclists in to the left where they are outside the "zone of observation" of entering motorists - who will be effectively trying to look backwards.

The slip going onto the Headford Road from the bridge should be better because it is traffic light controlled. However it will depend on the sequence of the lights and the assumed speed of crossing traffic. If there is a chance that a cyclist could still be passing through the junction when the lights for the slip change to green then there is a problem. Hopefully the pedestrian crossing catches this.

This is true, Sean Mulroy park is just gettin it's existing exit amended to allow right turns out but still no entry allowed in

There is another problematic aspect with the current design which is the use of slip roads.

To go back to first principles, one of the reasons for removing the roundabouts is because the design used in Galway is hostile for cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians. The reason why the roundabouts historically favoured by Galway City Council are so hostile is because they are effectively set out as a series of slip roads with traffic entering and a leaving at a shallow angle rather than making 90 degree turns. This encourages higher turning speeds and creates a situation where cyclists and motor cyclists are at particular risk from cars or other vehicles that fail to yield.

The scenario highlighted in the red circle here illustrates the problem.

261347.gif

So in effect a main reason for removing Irish roundabouts is to get rid of slip roads. The issue of slip roads is acknowledged in the recently published Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,32669,en.pdf
    (File is about 5Mb)

Page 104

In the Bodkin redesign, the city council are partially replacing problematic slip roads with more slip roads.

In this screen grab we can see slip roads at the Sean Mulvoy outbound and going from the Bridge onto the Headford road outbound. (Tender file 60051475_N6-141.7_T_B.pdf)

261348.jpg

There is also to be a slip road arrangement at the new junction with Dun Na Coiribe (Tender file 60051475_N6-141.7_T_B.pdf)

261349.jpg

Of these, the slips at Sean Mulvoy Road and Dun Na Coiribe are the most problematic as these are "yield" based. The cycle lanes will be keeping cyclists in to the left where they are outside the "zone of observation" of entering motorists - who will be effectively trying to look backwards.

The slip going onto the Headford Road from the bridge should be better because it is traffic light controlled. However it will depend on the sequence of the lights and the assumed speed of crossing traffic. If there is a chance that a cyclist could still be passing through the junction when the lights for the slip change to green then there is a problem. Hopefully the pedestrian crossing catches this.

I know the slip lane coming over the Q Bridge won't be a yield, it will be controlled by lights, similar to the left slip lanes at Moneenageisha on Dublin Rd & Monivea Rd, will have to check on the other 2, think they might have been revised too... Also the entrance/exit to Galway Shopping Centre off Sean Mulvoy RD is now only a temp road in a temp position

Also the entrance/exit to Galway Shopping Centre off Sean Mulvoy RD is now only a temp road in a temp position

What exactly does this mean? :confused:

It looks like (re)construction of the exit at Mulvoy Commerical park has started today, the approach to the RAB was down to one lane this morning.

How are the work's progressing - anybody have recent photo's of the works?

How are the work's progressing - anybody have recent photo's of the works?

I'll see if I get some passing.

Here's a quick summary of the bits I've seen:
    Exit from Mulvoy Commerical park started - one lane closed around this.
    No works on existing RAB road surface
    Partial Lane closer Duness side inbound
    Site office between Tesco & Woodquay side of Headford road
    Some cycle land and footpath closers, cones in place to separate from motor traffic

It looks like the works at the exit to the Mulvoy Commercial Park are completed, save for adding the surface dressing. The new traffic island has been added to the exit, with the right turn section removed from the median (and currently taped off).

The pathway at the Dunnes corner of the RAB has also been raised several inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Seems to be roadworks on the Joyce roundabout this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

I request this thread be moved/locked or deleted immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Seems to be roadworks on the Joyce roundabout this morning.

They were making the gully traps flush to the surface, and about time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    I request this thread be moved/locked or deleted immediately.

I can't see any good reason to do that. This thread is very relevant to Galway and is a good source of keeping up to date with what stage work is at, at any given time.

If you want to PM me with your reasoning, I'll definitely consider your proposal.

It looks like the works at the exit to the Mulvoy Commercial Park are completed, save for adding the surface dressing. The new traffic island has been added to the exit, with the right turn section removed from the median (and currently taped off).

This bit of work appears to have been completed over the weekend with proper road dressing and road signs present.

Latest status

Former cycle lane at Dunnes corner has been lowered to road level.
    Work has started for new Dunnes exit
    Kerbing has been laid inside the RAB
    There was machinery in the GSC car park this morning but I couldn't see what they were at

Think I'm going to have to go out at lunch over the next few days with a camera.

There was machinery in the GSC car park this morning but I couldn't see what they were at
    The kidneyabout just inside and some of the internal kerbing has already been removed.

Current status

Approaches:
    Filter lane from QB to Headford Rd closed.
    Work has started on Tesco slip from Seam Mulvoy rd - left lane is cordoned off for about 250m (opposite the lane way to the houses & apartments on Sandy Rd) - please use zip merging & allow it to happen.
    Haven't been along Headford Rd or in Tesco, so can't give any updates from those sides.

On the roundabout:
    Traffic Islands now visible
    Street Light & traffic light poles being erected.

In Dunnes - new exit has been built and is being used - no lights up yet but there are sockets for them ready to go.

New exit from Dun Na Coiribe has taken shape but isn't complete.

Inside the Galway Shopping Centre a mini roundabout and a new lane has been created in front of xtravision / Happydays to connect to the new entrance.

They have been making other improvements like putting in new shopping trolly bays with covers.

The rest of the junction is taking shape in the centre of the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

traffic west bound on Sean mulvoy road is backed up already. Best to avoid if possible

• Advertisement

Might need a thread of it' own. Just spotted this via twitter.As its a stone's throw from the Bodkin Junction have posted here.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/290813_02.html
    "
    Public Notice: Bóthar na dTreabh (N6) Multi-Modal Corridor Improvement Scheme - Terryland Retail Park Access Junction Upgrade
    29 August 2013
    "
    They are slowly creeping down to the Menlo Park Hotel Roundabout(Kirwin) :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement