Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employ the unemployed at the polling stations!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

May we ask how much is 'good money'?

I was told by one of the presiding guys that he gets €650 before tax and polling clerks get 'around €450' before tax.
    Someone else said it's been reduced since the last election.
    juuge wrote: »
    Two people employed at our poling station in Wicklow took the day off work to be there, this can't be right. Wonder if they declare their extra earnings to the revenue?

Well, they can't pay you unless you supply your RSI number! It is taxed at source (don't even know if I am to be taxed though)
    MarkK wrote: »
    I was a poll clerk while I was on the dole back in (I think it was) 1992.
    My dole was docked by almost the same amount as I earned for the day, so they most have improved they pay.

I thought one day would be deducted, isn't that how it works for anyone doing casual work?

V_Moth wrote: »
    I would have applied IF I had known that there were positions available! There was no info available beforehand.

Anyways, I will apply before the next election :)

Do it now, V_Moth!
    Send in your request ( I emailed though you can write in as well)
    Someone else said there may be a referendum early next year but for definite there are the Euros in June or so.
    Don't wait around.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Fella I know did it, hes 18. Only got it coz his mother works in the council an stuck his name down for it.. Think he said he got €552 for it, was over 500 anyway.

Dont even think the presiding officer gets that much. Even if they did, I doubt no first timer would be employed as one, as you would already have to be expereinced in working in the polling centre, and have to know various guidelines, rules, rights, and laws in regard to overseeing and running the polling centre, hence some of the reasons why you will nearly always see maybe atleast one familar face working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Some of begrudgery on this thread is pathetic. I'm a trainee teacher who will most likely be employed by the state for the rest of my life. And I think its likely I'll keep this job on too. And I' sure I will have to listen to smart comments similar to those on this thread as to why I got the job.

Fact is out of all of my friends, many of whom are unemployed and very competent, I was person who saw their was an opportunity of employment, found out where to send my CV and applied on time. Therefore I think I deserve the job and as I carried out my duties correctly I should keep the post as continuity, experience and reliability are important in making sure the elections run smoothly.

Advertising the jobs would be a disaster as there would probably be thousands of applications and very few vacated spaces each year so don't think there is much more they can do than try and pick out unemployed candidates that take it on themselves to apply.

Finally does anyone else who worked for the day know what day we will be getting paid?! Because I am broookkkeee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

donegal11 wrote: »
    The jobs should be publicly advertised and given to the best candidates available not employment status. Although in saying that,if your retired or currently employed in the public service you shouldn't be able to get two paychecks from the state. And to the person who said they had trouble getting people during the boom, I NEVER saw any positions advertised and people never turned down easy money even back then.

Why shouldn't a person get two paychecks from the state?

If your available to work on the day and are able to do the job why should it matter where else you work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Finally does anyone else who worked for the day know what day we will be getting paid?! Because I am broookkkeee!!

Not sure bout presidential elections, but I got around €300 pre tax and levys for the general elections as a polling clerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Nice to see that most polling stations had retired gardai, teachers and various pillars of society that don,t need the money, so much for innovation, where i'm from its the same people every election running the polling, and they certainly dont need the cash, i've never seen these jobs advertised either, guess its who you know:D

Why don't they post up on fas or some site oe even send out letters to people who unemployed,
    Any thing like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

think this would be illegal under equality of opportunity laws.

Also I thought I heard of someone getting approx 240euro for it - not 500. so about 15/hour. Good money but not that excessive given it is a long shift

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Why shouldn't a person get two paychecks from the state?

If your available to work on the day and are able to do the job why should it matter where else you work?

Fair enough but as the schools are closed for the day, the kids and system have an enforced day-off, but the teachers are still paid as teachers and also for the election.

So the anomaly is that as most election officials are teachers then one of the paycheques is actually for a day off.

The solution, of course, is to do the sensible thing and hold the elections on a Sunday.

Easier for people to vote, particularly students, schools not disrupted and no need to have the polls open for such a long day.

Dream on, I suppose...

Alopex wrote: »
    think this would be illegal under equality of opportunity laws.

Also I thought I heard of someone getting approx 240euro for it - not 500. so about 15/hour. Good money but not that excessive given it is a long shift

Yeah I've heard so many different amounts. What I posted above is what a guy doing it since 2007 told me.
    I'll post here when I find out.

@Trimm Trabb, what did you get last time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Coonster

gambiaman wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard so many different amounts. What I posted above is what a guy doing it since 2007 told me.
    I'll post here when I find out.

@Trimm Trabb, what did you get last time?

I take a days holiday from work and act as a poll clerk on election dates. you get paid around the 250 mark, once i get the payment this month then i'll let you know what i get paid.

To be honest i think teachers should do it as the majority have the day off anyway and it should eb part of their working year, maybe split it into 2 shifts or else pay some on the dole and extra maybe 100 quid to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Some of begrudgery on this thread is pathetic. I'm a trainee teacher who will most likely be employed by the state for the rest of my life. And I think its likely I'll keep this job on too. And I' sure I will have to listen to smart comments similar to those on this thread as to why I got the job.

Fact is out of all of my friends, many of whom are unemployed and very competent, I was person who saw their was an opportunity of employment, found out where to send my CV and applied on time. Therefore I think I deserve the job and as I carried out my duties correctly I should keep the post as continuity, experience and reliability are important in making sure the elections run smoothly.

Advertising the jobs would be a disaster as there would probably be thousands of applications and very few vacated spaces each year so don't think there is much more they can do than try and pick out unemployed candidates that take it on themselves to apply.

Well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I agree if you dont look for it you wont find it.
    I recently asked myself where to send cv, and they kindly told me and encouraged me.So i am hoping when the general elections come around very soon :D i will be in.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

got paid today for polling clerk

Advertisement