Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RHCP - 26th June 2012 Croke Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Crowd was just over 45,000, not bad considering this time last week only 25,000 were sold. Imho it wasn't a good gig. Sound was quite poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Good set list, had great craic near the front barrier (not the pit), lots of dancing and moshing :D

With respect, that's got naff all to do with what people deemed to be negatives. The Irish fans had great craic in Poland too, does that mean the team put on a great performance? No, it doesn't - it just means the Irish, as usual, make the best of what's on offer (to our credit, not knocking us for that) but just because certain sections of the crowd were making their own entertainment, doesn't make the band's performance a good one.
    The replies in this thread so far seem to be similar to the thread for the last o2 gig. Stupid overused saying like "going through the motions". Go away outta that!

I'm glad you enjoyed your moshing, but perhaps if you had stopped awhile, you may have noticed that the band weren't all that connected with the crowd and seemed to just be doing the usual Chillies act. Didn't come across (to me at least) as if they were all that into it. They appeared jaded and disconnected (apart from Chad).
    You're all too bloody negative in here, have some fun for once.

Yeah, sure lets just ignore the fact that it sounded woeful and that the delivery seemed half hearted. More moshing is what was called for.
    I think it depended on where you were standed/seated. Some sections seemed dead with no atmosphere, where as others were riled up and was the best fun.

I think most of us here have the intelligence to know the difference between a band not giving a performance they are capable of against the bad vibes of just sitting in an area full of dry shites. Not sure why you think we wouldn't.
    And mistakes? So what, its LIVE music. The mistakes and improvisations are what make it unique and enjoyable.

At least I agree with you on one thing - not arsed about mistakes, if I wanted a perfect performance, I'd listen to a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Very enjoyable gig imo :D

F964FE432C904A4EB4A9777FEC3DAA01-0000323799-0002910452-00800L-079D807D4111464A9033C9525CD18268.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

Was at the gig last night and have to say it wasnt great. I first saw the RHCP in Slane '03 and what a gig. They interacted with the crowd the whole way through and gave it their all. John Fruciante was missed IMO.

Last night was my 4th time to see them and while the gig was slightly better than the Phoenix Park & Oxegen, they just didnt put in the performance. No crowd interaction, half hearted effort on the songs, sound quality was disgraceful.

I wouldnt go to another gig after that would rather spend my money on an act that actually cares to be there.

On the plus side I Noel Gallagher was good he always was the better half of Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I was standing, up front to the left, the sound wasn't too bad, it was far worse towards the back of the pitch where I was standing for the first couple of songs.
    For me, being a fan of their older material, the setlist was the only real downside of the concert. Lots of songs from the last three albums (and not the ones that I'd like/care to hear) which are not exactly my favourites so somewhere in the middle of the concert I was a bit bored. I guess it would have been better if I'd seen them 10 years ago.
    It was good, not spectacular, but I wonder if I could have put my 70 euro to better use. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Holy Mother of God...I could not believe how bad the sound was at this gig. If one word could sum the sound up:
    DIABOLICAL.
    The bizarre thing is, it was near perfect for Noel Gallagher, who was the main reason I went to the gig I have to say.
    But I feel sorry for the hardcore Chill Pepper fans with that sound quality. Shocking really. Clowns are being paid to get the sound right and they failed bigtime last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I was at the barrier just in front of the pit, sound was great where I was, and had a deadly time, chilis played really well IMO, the only problem for me was the half full pit

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

8th time seeing the band live, not my favourite gig but we still had a brilliant time!

I agree that the sound wasn’t great last night but that says a hell of a lot more about the sound techs than the band.

The talk about them making mistakes is just pure nonsense though. If people want note perfect music stay at home and listen to the CD. The improvisation and jams were some of the best bits last night.

Lots complaining about the set list but I thought they hit a nice balance. You’re never going to please everyone, especially when the back catalogue of songs is that big. Favourites of the night were Suck my Kiss and Higher Ground.

I thought Josh was excellent last night. He’s really settling in and was far more comfortable and expressive compared to the O2 gig. And before anyone says it, I am a massive John Frusciante fan and yes I think he’s sorely missed but Josh offers a different dynamic to the band. He’s a brilliant musician, it’s just a pity he has such big shoes to fill… for most people he’ll always live in JF’s shadow which is a real shame.

I’m looking forward to downloading the gig. Will be interesting to listen back again without the sound issues distracting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

im a huge RHCP fan and thought it was a shambles

70 quid for a ticket and not allowed bring a beer into the standing area-at a rock concert!whereas seating tickets were allowed.
    toilets-not enough
    bars-impossible to get a pint. queues were unreal
    when approaching from town the standing ticket holders had an extra 25 minute walk to circumnavigate the stadium
    encore was much shorter than most other shows they did-dont think they were feeling it.
    sound was dreadful .

irish gigs start too early- the light shows etc are wasted.

the o2 gig was superb,this was awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trek1000

What did people expect. They were missing their main songwriter and the person who kept the band ticking.

Having an average guitar player up there trying to play Frusciante songs was never going to work.

They are only half the band without him.

Also the sad thing is that, I bet half the crowd didn’t even know Frusciante was missing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

irish gigs start too early- the light shows etc are wasted.

l

Outdoor gigs in the centre of town? Of course they're going to start/finish early. There's no way residents would put up with shows going on til midnight, especially midweek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Only reason I went to the gig was Noel and delighted to say he blew it apart! RHCP's were good enough but I didn't know any of their new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Went last night. What the hell was up with the sound? Was terrible. Was pretty good for Noel and the high birds, went to s**t for the chilli's. Spoiled what should have been a great concert. On a side note, I never saw so may drunk people at a gig since AC/DC. What the hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

encore was much shorter than most other shows they did-dont think they were feeling it.

More than likely the encore was cut short due to the license. They started a good bit late.

Sound was fine from where I was (the barrier to the pit), I really enjoyed the show. The crowd where annoying and all locked all right, the wonderwall shouts during Noel's set where annoying, I'm glad he didn't play it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Outdoor gigs in the centre of town? Of course they're going to start/finish early. There's no way residents would put up with shows going on til midnight, especially midweek
    i agree totally.
    they shouldnt have them there then.
    they should be held indoors or somewhere where you can make noise late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Had a great night, we were in the Davin stand. Didn't notice any sound problems here apart from being out of sync with the visuals, which was annoying since all we could really see from that distance were the screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 whatde

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Crowd was just over 45,000, not bad considering this time last week only 25,000 were sold. Imho it wasn't a good gig. Sound was quite poor.
    Was there last night . noel G was ok but a bit boring for most of it. peppers are legend. pity there was nearly 50 minutes in between noel and them. thought the sound was off myself. was out of sync with the big screens which fans were singing too, Anthony live was a few words ahead by sound over the picture . great to see Chad banging out Sunday bloody Sunday. Message for the wee ones , When you want a band to do one more shout out we want more or one more tune NOT FECKING OLE OLE OLE or WERE ALL PART OF JACKIES ARMY!
    all in all was a good gig. But these boys need a park to play with no time limit etc. was a bit of a nanny concert. stewards were mostly highly strung.
    GO ON THE PEPPERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

i agree totally.
    they shouldnt have them there then.
    they should be held indoors or somewhere where you can make noise late

It probably didn't go to plan with yesterday's gig as it wasn't sold out but generally bigger venues = bigger profits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've mixed feelings on the gig.

I'd a good night because I love an outdoor gig and try to take my daughter along for the craic, so in that regard it was good and we had fun together.

Had I gone alone, honestly at one point I was thinking about leaving early but didn't want to be a dry sh*t with my daughter.

The sound was piss poor awful, and from the lower Hogan (section 335) we couldn't see the stage so kinda relied on the one screen we could see, which was blurred a lot of the time plus the sound was out on sync with the visuals.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to see RHCP again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

I wasnt at the gig but my views from afar are:
    • Croke Park Summer Gigs are always crap because the venue is not great. The sound is always awful there. Also, the concerts in June will always lack atmosphere because they are played in Daylight. Its just about getting dark towards the end of the gig which really doesnt help.
    • The RHCP are past it and should have split up when JF left. He saved the band when he joined them and pulled them from middle of the road oblivion to becoming massive in the early 00's thanks to albums like Californication and By the Way.
    • Slane 03 was their all time top gig in Ireland. They were a shambles in Phoneix park in 2004 and I said id never go see them again. Stadium arcadium was a random overlong album and was the end of them. Theey were never going to sell out Croke Park. Im so suprised MCD dropped the ball on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I'm glad you enjoyed your moshing, but perhaps if you had stopped awhile, you may have noticed that the band weren't all that connected with the crowd and seemed to just be doing the usual Chillies act. Didn't come across (to me at least) as if they were all that into it. They appeared jaded and disconnected (apart from Chad).

Hey, every huge band has this sort of routine they do. They play the same shows over and over everyday and I dont expect them to put on a better more unique show just for us. I did stop and I did pay attention to the band, and I analyzed the music more than I moshed.

Noel Gallagher didnt even move from the spot he was standing on yet I hear people compliment him more. I couldnt even hear the cymbals on the drum kit for his set.

Yeah, sure lets just ignore the fact that it sounded woeful and that the delivery seemed half hearted. More moshing is what was called for.

I noticed the sound was off, and that was one of the first things I mentioned to people around me, but it slowly began to improve as the show went on. The RHCP dont control the sound quality, thats someone elses/their crews job.
    I would have hardly called that half hearted and wouldnt particularly ridicule them too much anyway. How much more energy do you want them to put into the delivery when doing it 5 or 6 times a week?

And no, more moshing is not whats called for, but in a large section of the crowd it went to show how much people were enjoying the songs.

I think most of us here have the intelligence to know the difference between a band not giving a performance they are capable of against the bad vibes of just sitting in an area full of dry shites. Not sure why you think we wouldn't.

I dont think you wouldnt have the intelligence. I should have mentioned that the sound quality varied from place to place imo. The atmosphere has a lot to do with people's outlook on the show though but Im not saying thats the main reason why people thought it was bad or anything.

I didnt even want to go to the show after I felt the o2 performance was a poor one, and I came out happier than what I expected with this gig.

At least I agree with you on one thing - not arsed about mistakes, if I wanted a perfect performance, I'd listen to a CD.

Then why complain about the off sound quality and non unique stage presence? If you wanted a perfect performance then maybe you should have watched the slane dvd or something :confused:

Dont get me wrong, I love music, I love analysizing it and picking out each and every little instrument, drumbeat, rythm lines and so on. However I dont strive for perfection. Their stage act was fine to me, I think they always try give it their best but when its a regular job for them its going to seem like "going through the motions".
    They are performers after all.

I went to see Iron Maiden a few years back in Dublin, and the next day they played live in England and a friend saw them. Iron Maiden did the exact same things they did live in Dublin, right down the speeches and little chats they had with the crowd and I imagine RHCP probably do too.

Lasts night gig was great. Yes, the guitar and solo's were hard to hear, the lyrics and talks they had were hard to understand and make out. The bass seemed to be a bit overpowering at times.
    I dont think it was a bad one. Im not saying it was their best performance ever either.

Perhaps I'm too easily impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

They're an awesome band. I'd a great night.

I fully agree with cocoshovel, the last thing you could say about them is it was half assed, there was buckets of energy on stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

6th time seeing them and last night the sound was terrible, really pissed me off and wont be going back near Croke Park for any concerts.

Don't think the Chili's will ever be as good as they were in Slane all them years ago. That was the best concert I was ever at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

one thing Im disappointed with was the fact that they didn't play Ethiopia. Oh after By The Way, what did the stage manager guy say into the mic? He seemed to walk on really quickly, mumble something then walk off. I assume it was just (5 minute break) or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The brother got 2 freebies so i went along with him.
    Missed the vaccines due to the long walks around the stadium both outside and inside. Noel Gallagher was fine, pretty boring imo but they kept tune.

The Chilli's started out ok, it took a while to get going but after the sluggish middle section, it was a strong finish. Could've been 4 off blood sugar which was great. Have to say the lead guitarist confused me. He was well able to jam with flea, and sounded good on the new material, but he hadn't a clue how to play any of the older material, flea carried that stuff imo.

Overall i thought it was a decent concert. Not sure i'd be happy to shell out €70 odd quid for it though.

The set up was poor i have to say. Leaving aside the sound issues, as croker is well known for bad sound at gigs. Having one entrance / exit for pitch standing was an awful decision. The no alcohol (or soft drinks) onto the pitch was a bit of a bummer, but seeing the state some of the punters were in, maybe it was just as well. The bars there were a bit of a joke too, but i only had one or two so i wasn't too bothered. Generally poor setup, and i wont be back to a gig in croker again, even if i get free tickets.

Finally, the amount of scobes at that gig was unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Trek1000 wrote: »
    What did people expect. They were missing their main songwriter and the person who kept the band ticking.

Having an average guitar player up there trying to play Frusciante songs was never going to work.

They are only half the band without him.

Also the sad thing is that, I bet half the crowd didn’t even know Frusciante was missing.

what are you basing that on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭noddyflavin

Does anyone know how many people were at the Chillis gig in Croke Park last night?!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Was it any good? I didn't go because last time I saw them in the o2 they weren't in my opinion worth 70 quid...

Advertisement