Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr.Binman enter examinership.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Not really good news, Considering over 600 people work with them.. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Not really good news, Considering over 600 people work with them.. :/

I take your point, and it's a good one ... I do sympathise with same while wondering what kind of quality of employment they have. Personally I don't think that employers like this have much to offer in the longer term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i posted on the c ounty board some time ago that they were axeled, out in the sticks they seem to think their customers are plain stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

They seem to have been in the news a lot over the past couple of years, between derogatory comments about Irish workers, lamenting how people wanted to buy into their fantastic enterprise, trying to cut wages by half, workers on strike for 3 months, leaving people waiting on bins, breaching planning, and the death of an employee due to health and safety negligence:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0601/1224298206354.html

With employers like that, the exaggerated 600 jobs lost (more like 200 in reality) pales to insignifigance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,748 ✭✭✭✭phog

Regardless of it being 600 or 200 I really cant see how it's a big lol.

I take it your not one of the workers or one of their dependents, if you were I think your concern would be greater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Odds are that the majority of the employees will be safe. Generally in an examinership new capital is invested, assuming the current owners don't have the funds (fair assumption given they would have input prior to going this route) I would guess a larger operator would be putting up the capital to obtain a significant percentage of the business. If the examinership fails id imagine the banks will sell the business as a going concern. Either way this should secure the business and employees jobs in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Someone else in the waste business was telling me a few years ago that Mr Binman was getting a lot of new business by under-cutting the competition, and that it was only a matter of time before the cash-flow was going to take a hit because their prices were too low.

There's bound to be someone else filling the void (because no-one wants this situation to drag on), and hopefully the Mr Binman employees will find jobs with whichever outfit(s) move in, or take the company over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Someone else in the waste business was telling me a few years ago that Mr Binman was getting a lot of new business by under-cutting the competition, and that it was only a matter of time before the cash-flow was going to take a hit because their prices were too low.

There's bound to be someone else filling the void (because no-one wants this situation to drag on), and hopefully the Mr Binman employees will find jobs with whichever outfit(s) move in, or take the company over.

Really I thought they were more expensive then others, but back on topic hopefully for sake of the staff they wont close Ok they might not have the best working conditions but im sure they prefer that to no work.
    Also isnt it true that the owner of Mr.Binman had a previous company before Mr.Binman they went to the wall and he set up Mr.Binman and just hired the same staff he had in the previous company so maybe he is planning something along the same lines here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

campo wrote: »
    Really I thought they were more expensive then others, but back on topic hopefully for sake of the staff they wont close Ok they might not have the best working conditions but im sure they prefer that to no work.
    Also isnt it true that the owner of Mr.Binman had a previous company before Mr.Binman they went to the wall and he set up Mr.Binman and just hired the same staff he had in the previous company so maybe he is planning something along the same lines here

I think the under-cutting was more to do with commercial customers, e.g. those with permanent skips outside their premises, as against domestic customers who seem to get fleeced by most of the waste companies.

Wasn't there another fiasco where the company was supposed to buy thousands of bins for its customers, and couldn't afford to buy more than a fraction of what was required of them?

I hope that a responsible employer steps in, and that none of the workers lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

they couldnt buy the bins for the customers cause they couldnt pay for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Terry_Tibbs

have supplied this company...out of pocket to the point where I'm under pressure tonight because of Mr. Binman mismanagement and obvious reckless trading.....met several small business people out big big money and don't know how to handle this situation tonight let alone feed familys...as for employees, have to feel for them aswell as all the other self employed guys working night and day trying to eek a living out of it and hell to pay.....<snip>....<snip>...what will the EXAMINER have to say to that I wonder??...<snip>...I'm not a violent person but I cannot speak for some people I've met this last few days who have been badly burnt by this...I'd gladly give up what money I'm owed and more to be in my shoes and not that familys shoes because in my view if that rescue plan does'nt wash, I reckon it will be less than civilised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Welcome to boards Terry.

I have editted your post to take some of the rumours out of it, feel free to find some reputable sources on line to quote from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

While i feel so sorry for the empolyees, as a company they were expensive and there are cheaper alternatives out there. We used to have them (contracted by our management company) and we moved from them because there were more competitive options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

have supplied this company...out of pocket to the point where I'm under pressure tonight because of Mr. Binman mismanagement and obvious reckless trading.....met several small business people out big big money and don't know how to handle this situation tonight let alone feed familys...as for employees, have to feel for them aswell as all the other self employed guys working night and day trying to eek a living out of it and hell to pay.....<snip>....<snip>...what will the EXAMINER have to say to that I wonder??...<snip>...I'm not a violent person but I cannot speak for some people I've met this last few days who have been badly burnt by this...I'd gladly give up what money I'm owed and more to be in my shoes and not that familys shoes because in my view if that rescue plan does'nt wash, I reckon it will be less than civilised.

sorry to hear of your plight Terry, I can concur that something similar did indeed happen in the past, fortunately I'm not out of pocket as I pulled the plug on them some two years ago due to slow payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Terry_Tibbs

BobMc wrote: »
    sorry to hear of your plight Terry, I can concur that something similar did indeed happen in the past, fortunately I'm not out of pocket as I pulled the plug on them some two years ago due to slow payments
    Cheers Bob...See where court hearing leads to tomorrow if anywhere...:(

Any news on how the court case went today?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

ABEasy wrote: »
    Any news on how the court case went today?
    From today's Irish Independent
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/taxman-dumps-on-mr-binman-over-unacceptable-euro18m-bill-2909776.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jbkenn wrote: »

Bit of a different story there to what the mayor was claiming on the radio about the situation.

Might have been smarter not to go on the radio with what Mr Binman told him was the truth, and instead wait until the results of the various court hearings come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How the hell do you get to the stage that you owe 50 million!?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Mr. Binman didn't collect my bins today, any uptodate news on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

They collected in Corbally on Wednesday. Give them a call.

As far as I know it is business as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

They've changed their collection cycle where I live out Annacotty direction. Was every week but from the start of this month it's now every two weeks. Usually the bin was collected in the early hours of the morning (6-6.30am) but last week it wasn't collected until closer to mid-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I have just rung Mr. Binman, yes, they've have changed their collection dates, and also now only collecting every fornight. Apparently I'm going to get a 'credit' for this. The whole reason I went with Mr. Binman is because I wanted a weekly collection. Looks like I'll be changing to someone else, if I can find a weekly collector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Anyone hear how todays hearing went? Have a personal interest in this, PM me if you don't want to post publically. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I have just rung Mr. Binman, yes, they've have changed their collection dates, and also now only collecting every fornight. Apparently I'm going to get a 'credit' for this. The whole reason I went with Mr. Binman is because I wanted a weekly collection. Looks like I'll be changing to someone else, if I can find a weekly collector.

Is this just a localised thing or is it citywide? I know that when I collected recycling bags from them earlier this month, they only gave me 13 for the quarter rather than the anticipated 26. I assumed that it was because there were supplier issues but it dovetails nicely (unfortunately) with the news above from Lobsterlady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Thanks a mill. Can anyone explain to me what will happen if a receiver is appointed? I'm not well versed in these matters at all! Will the company close its gates and cease trading straight away? I've a personal agenda here, don't want to give too much away online.

A receiver has one objective, to protect the asset for the creditor (bank), generally they take control of the asset and the company goes into liquidation. However in this case as the receiver will probably run the business and try sell it as a going concern. To run the business the receiver will need the assistance of the current employees, contractors and creditors so depending on how much they need your help they will have to deal with you

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

ABEasy wrote: »
    A receiver has one objective, to protect the asset for the creditor (bank), generally they take control of the asset and the company goes into liquidation. However in this case as the receiver will probably run the business and try sell it as a going concern. To run the business the receiver will need the assistance of the current employees, contractors and creditors so depending on how much they need your help they will have to deal with you
    In my experience, I am dealing with three receivers at the moment, the receiver will only accept liability for debts incurred after his/her appointment, and will pay same, debts incurred before his/her appointment will not be honoured and you will have to take the hit.

• Advertisement

jbkenn wrote: »
    In my experience, I am dealing with three receivers at the moment, the receiver will only accept liability for debts incurred after his/her appointment, and will pay same, debts incurred before his/her appointment will not be honoured and you will have to take the hit.

In general this is the case, but I have seen instances where receivers have paid 'premiums' to creditors that were vital to the receivers maintaining the business as a going concern. Again this is the exception rather than the rule and will depend on how much they need the creditors help with the continued running of the business.

Advertisement