Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does X hurt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clairebearxxx

tattoos do hurt however it all depends on where you get them done and everyones pain threshold is different. my first tattoo is 34 stars from my hip up my back to my shoulder. some areas where grand and others made me grit my teeth at times. my second tattoo is on the the top of my leg, its a butterfly. the outline didnt bother me at all however the shading did. once you accept you might feel pain though i think it makes it easier. just make sure you really want it and if you do its bearable then if you really want it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey, seriously thinking about getting my septum pierced, I know its probably gonna be pretty sore, but I've had my nostril pierced twice, both ears and a vertical labret, how does the septum compare pain wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Links234 wrote: »
    Hey, seriously thinking about getting my septum pierced, I know its probably gonna be pretty sore, but I've had my nostril pierced twice, both ears and a vertical labret, how does the septum compare pain wise?

It was pretty bad when I had mine done, but I think that was a lot to do with the fact that it was pierced incorrectly, at an angle through the cartilage at the bottom of my septum. My eyes watered like crazy too. Basically I didn't bat an eyelid when I had my ear pierced recently but I had to lie down for a minute after the septum. :P

When the needle went in I was like "ok, this is fine," but when it went through the cartilage I kept thinking "OH GOD why did I decide to do this." :L

I'll probably be getting mine repierced tomorrow, I can report back on the level of pain when the piercing is done correctly after that. I'm inclined to think it'll be completely fine. :)

But don't let the pain put you off it, even after my awful experience I would've been glad I had it done if it was straight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I dodn't find my septum too bad. Healed up very quickly too. If I had to describe what it felt like, it felt like when you have a cold and your nose is really stingy and raw feeling. It felt like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Links234 wrote: »

The piercing itself wasn't too bad at all.

BUT if you get it done and need to flip it up for work, make sure the ring is wide enough for you to do so. I had to get mine forced up by the piercer 3 days after I got it done...and it was still swollen. One of the most painful experiences I've ever had!

I absolutely love it though, best piercing ever....despite what my friends/family say :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I haven't got a great pain threshold, found the piercing on the back of my neck pretty damn sore. Planning my first tattoo soon and the place I've picked is the top of the feet, matching ones on either side. It will be an all black outline, with a finger nailed sized amount of colour in each. Will it hurt less if its not filled in with colour? And am I crazy going for the feet first, when its the least fleshy part of me? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am considering the top of my spine for my first tattoo, pretty small one. Damo says its meant to be pretty sore? I do have a high threshold for pain, actually enjoy piercings! And I am in no way skinny that my bones poke through!

Anyone gotten one along the spine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I haven't got a great pain threshold, found the piercing on the back of my neck pretty damn sore. Planning my first tattoo soon and the place I've picked is the top of the feet, matching ones on either side. It will be an all black outline, with a finger nailed sized amount of colour in each. Will it hurt less if its not filled in with colour? And am I crazy going for the feet first, when its the least fleshy part of me? :/

I found the top of the foot to be one of the easiest of my tattoos. In saying that, everybody is different, so you may find it painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

For me I cried when I got my ears pierced (the second lobe holes) like a sad baby. But my tongue (sadly gone), scaffold (sadly gone due to incompetent piercer), eyebrow, tragus and labret didn't hurt me at all. Planning my next piercing already.

As to my tattoos I have three on my arms around my wrists, they were no bother. I have two large ones, a cross on my outside calf, no bother, and a skull on the inner calf - that one began to hurt in the third hour and by the time the white outlining was being done I was fit to die :o The one on my foot took two hours and was grand in general for pain, it was only towards the end of the two hours and again with the white outlining when it started to hurt, and then the pain was mostly confined to the spot just above my big toe.

I really think pain is relative though. My friend got a piece on his inner arm and he said he hated every minute of it. He is also a cry baby when it comes to piercings (but for general pain - like being sick etc - he would handle it 100 times better than me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I am considering the top of my spine for my first tattoo, pretty small one. Damo says its meant to be pretty sore? I do have a high threshold for pain, actually enjoy piercings! And I am in no way skinny that my bones poke through!

Anyone gotten one along the spine?

I have one at the top of my back going across the spine and have to say I found it grand really not to bad on the pain barrier anyway it was one of my first tattoos and my lasting memory of it is of some girl getting her first tattoo and fainting after about two inchs of the outline had been done :pac: a bit of sugary sweet and a 15 min break and she good to go though.

But back on track spine youll be ok really didnt find it very painfull at all worst for me so far has been the ribs and even that was ok for the first three to four hours anfter that it really started to burn :o.

• Advertisement

I forgot the one on the top of my spine!!! That didn't hurt at all either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Does a lip piercing hurt? At the side. I know pain threshold is different for everyone, but people's honest thoughts on it? ;D

Only have my ears pierced, and well I guess it actually hurt only for like a few minutes... So can't reallyy compare much. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Does a lip piercing hurt? At the side. I know pain threshold is different for everyone, but people's honest thoughts on it? ;D

Only have my ears pierced, and well I guess it actually hurt only for like a few minutes... So can't reallyy compare much. :D

Personally I found it fine, it's more of a pressure than a pain, healing and aftercare is very straight forward to!

Personally I found it fine, it's more of a pressure than a pain, healing and aftercare is very straight forward to!

Agreed. I don't have a side piercing yet (just the middle one) and I found it not a bother at all :D Thinking of getting a new piercing meself and trying to decide what to get. Must ask peeps for suggestions!!!

And I know exactly what piercing I want but there's no good place in my town to get it :(

And I know exactly what piercing I want but there's no good place in my town to get it :(

tell??

I've wanted a VCH for yonks now, but its the kinda one that you need to go somewhere you know is good and the piercer is skilled! You don't want that messed up :pac: So will prob wait and go to my regular guy when I'm back in Dublin!

I've wanted a VCH for yonks now, but its the kinda one that you need to go somewhere you know is good and the piercer is skilled! You don't want that messed up :pac: So will prob wait and go to my regular guy when I'm back in Dublin!

Dear god know I wouldn't go to anyone I didn't trust a bazillion for that. I am thinking either my bullring!!!! (as I call it) or nips or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hey guys. I've been wanting to get a tattoo for the past year or so. I've a few planned out, but the main one I want would be on my inner forearm (a script piece going from just at the elbow crease down to my wrist). However, I have a really low pain threshold and have been known to faint due to that occasionally :o Am I crazy for even considering getting a tattoo done? Would a decent artist even consider doing work on someone with such a low pain threshold?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Seren_ wrote: »
    Hey guys. I've been wanting to get a tattoo for the past year or so. I've a few planned out, but the main one I want would be on my inner forearm (a script piece going from just at the elbow crease down to my wrist). However, I have a really low pain threshold and have been known to faint due to that occasionally :o Am I crazy for even considering getting a tattoo done? Would a decent artist even consider doing work on someone with such a low pain threshold?

If you keep your blood sugars up (Bring sweets or lukozade or something with you) and you'll probably be fine. Yes it's sore, but it's bearable.

• Advertisement

The feeling of a tattoo is a bit weird, it's not exactly PAIN pain, more of a discomfort for you could be fine. But definitely air on the side of caution and bring a sugary drink with you. You know your own body and will know when it's getting a bit much and your artist wont mind you taking a breather!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have a very low pain threshold too, I often faint just from bad headaches. As others have said you should be okay if you bring something sugary.

I usually bring lollipops with me, and some lucozade.

With my last tattoo, I almost thought I'd have to ask the artist to stop for a break from the pain, but when I relaxed myself a bit and concentrated on taking deep breaths rather than panicking, I calmed down and was able to tolerate the pain quite easily :)

Good luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Got started on my second sleeve on Wednesday, delighted so far.

Got my tongue pierced yesterday, not so happy :( I have 10 piercings and this healing is just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Melion wrote: »
    Got started on my second sleeve on Wednesday, delighted so far.

Got my tongue pierced yesterday, not so happy :( I have 10 piercings and this healing is just horrible.

What's the new sleeve?

For the tongue, ice chips/crushed ice all the way! (though a slushee might be a bad idea...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Japanese but no dragons or koi :)

Lined out a rat, a flower and a savaged samurai head so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Be sure to post up pics when it's finished!

As for the tongue, cold foods all the way! Mine stayed swollen for about a week so I lived on icy water, rice, noodles and pasta. Basically anything mushy will do.

Be sure to post up pics when it's finished!

As for the tongue, cold foods all the way! Mine stayed swollen for about a week so I lived on icy water, rice, noodles and pasta. Basically anything mushy will do.

I ate a scandalous amount of soup when I got mine done :rolleyes:

I ate a scandalous amount of soup when I got mine done :rolleyes:

So did I. I miss mine :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Couldn't believe how not painful the leg and shin bone was. I'd been dreading it all week cause I'm a pussy and I flew through it, almost pleasant t'was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

Couldn't believe how not painful the leg and shin bone was. I'd been dreading it all week cause I'm a pussy and I flew through it, almost pleasant t'was.
    Really? Was the tattooer light handed? Havn't touched the shin yet but it's on the cards and gotta say I'm dreading it! My worst spot so far is the belt line,that's just beyond killer, worse than the ribs!

Advertisement