Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to pick a wine amongst a sea of wines!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    ... on the odd oscasion I have gone to a wine shop and spent €20 plus on a bottle I have got some awful tasting stuff and dinner guest have not noticed anything better about it

Wine is entirely subjective. It may not have been a bad wine just not one you liked. I've had people bring back wine thinking it was corked. It wasn't, they just weren't used to French/Italian/Spanish whatever (it was swapped without a quibble). That said not every bottle in every shop is worth its price tag. My shop being the exception of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Give Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz a go, It's the Bizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Even into a kitchen jug. If it's a genuinely good red it could well have sediment so you can catch that at the 'shoulder' of the bottle as you pour. Rinse the bottle and then pour the wine back into the bottle (a funnel helps). You'll have aereated it twice.

What causes the sediment ? Is it from age or is it just filtered out of cheap wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    What causes the sediment ? Is it from age or is it just filtered out of cheap wine?

Age if definitely a contributing factor and depends on how well or if it was filtered prior to bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Can't go wrong with most Rioja's Imo..

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Age usually. Wines of all quality are filtered but I do like unfiltered wines myself. Cheaper wines will use chemicals to dissolve sediments. You'll be drinking those chemicals and you'll know it in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Age usually. Wines of all quality are filtered but I do like unfiltered wines myself. Cheaper wines will use chemicals to dissolve sediments. You'll be drinking those chemicals and you'll know it in the morning!

Thanks for advice. I find all cheapest red wines kill me stomach.

Are organic wines worth considering?

I know a lot is down to personal taste but can you recommend a white and red (i.e. good value for money non cheap supermarket stuff)to try that are relatively freely available?

Hints at what I might like:

the last red i enjoyed was a Montana Pinot Noir ...probably muck in the eyes of wine snobs

but I drink mainly white these days because of reaction to tanins in reds and maybe a chablis would be my type of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

No1J wrote: »
    Give Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz a go, It's the Bizz.

Super stuff alright but a bit on the pricey side!

Im a big fan of O'Briens as they will give you a good steer on food/wine matching (if thats what you want) or value for money

One tip if you see a bottle reduced by 50% 9/10 it aint!

Good deals in Tesco this weekend but only if you are buying 6

Recent likes of mine are Nortons Reserve Malbec for ~€10 in O'Briens. Its heavy stuff and goes to the head quickly but works very well with stews, roast meat, etc.

If you want something a little less expensive then you cant go terribly wrong with Cono Sur, Castill de Diablo, Eagle Hawk and McGuigans. Its all down to personal taste. If you get something at €8 you like then stick to it as opposed to trying something for €15 until you need to

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Are organic wines worth considering?

I know a lot is down to personal taste but can you recommend a white and red.

Organic wines are certainly worth trying but it's no guarantee of quality and many wine makers who would qualify as organic don't bother putting it on a label. It's often just a marketing ploy by others.

I would only recommend wines I sell. Naturally. If you want to visit my shop send me a pm and I'll give you the address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

kenco wrote: »
    Super stuff alright but a bit on the pricey side!

Im a big fan of O'Briens as they will give you a good steer on food/wine matching (if thats what you want) or value for money

One tip if you see a bottle reduced by 50% 9/10 it aint!

Good deals in Tesco this weekend but only if you are buying 6

Recent likes of mine are Nortons Reserve Malbec for ~€10 in O'Briens. Its heavy stuff and goes to the head quickly but works very well with stews, roast meat, etc.

If you want something a little less expensive then you cant go terribly wrong with Cono Sur, Castill de Diablo, Eagle Hawk and McGuigans. Its all down to personal taste. If you get something at €8 you like then stick to it as opposed to trying something for €15 until you need to

Yep, I agree, in an ideal world we would all be drinking Amarone but the pocket would get a hiding.
    Went to T today and filled the basket.
    Having a Mc William's Cab Sauv at the moment and it's 8/10 for €5 ish.
    The Shiraz was a litle bit rough but still maybe a 7/10.
    Nottage hill and most Errazuriz are good bang for the buck around €8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement