Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celcius to Farenheit conversion - where does the 5/9 come from

Options
  • 24-10-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im learing computer programming as this conversion is the first I've run into. I know that -32 is used but how does the 5 divided by 9 work.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

euser1984 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im learing computer programming as this conversion is the first I've run into. I know that -32 is used but how does the 5 divided by 9 work.

Thanks.

It's (temp - 32) * (5/9) to get from F to C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hi,

Thanks.

Yes 32 °F is the offset, as you're aware, but there's also a scailing difference between the two.

For example:
    Freezing point in degrees Celsius is 0°
    Freezing point in degrees Fahrenheit is 32°

Boiling point in degrees Celsius is 100°
    Boiling point in degrees Fahrenheit is 212°

So now we take the offset of 32 away from the Fahrenheit figures, we'll call this the "FahCel" scale for now! Sort of half-way between the two scales:

Freezing point in degrees FahCel is 0°

Boiling point in degrees FahCel is 180°

Clearly, even though we have corrected for the offset (i.e. 0° Celsius corresponds to 0° FahCel), there's still a scailing difference because the boiling points are not equal. In other words, 1 degree Celsius ≠ 1 degree Fahrenheit.

To see what we must multiply to fix this we write:

[latex] \displaystyle 180^\circ \hbox{ FahCel} \times \hbox{scale} = 100^\circ \hbox{ Celsius}[/latex]

[latex] \displaystyle \hbox{scale}= \frac{100^\circ \hbox{ Celsius}}{180°^\circ \hbox{ FahCel}} = \frac{5}{9} [/latex]

Which means 1 degree Fahrenheit is equal to 5/9 degrees Celsius.

So to convert from degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Celsius we subtract 32 and multiply by 5/9:

[latex] \displaystyle C = \frac{5}{9}(F-32) [/latex]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Hi,

Thanks.

Yes 32 °F is the offset, as you're aware, but there's also a scailing difference between the two.

For example:

So now we take the offset of 32 away from the Fahrenheit figures, we'll call this the "FahCel" scale for now! Sort of half-way between the two scales:

Clearly, even though we have corrected for the offset (i.e. 0° Celsius corresponds to 0° FahCel), there's still a scailing difference because the boiling points are not equal. In other words, 1 degree Celsius ≠ 1 degree Fahrenheit.

[latex] \displaystyle 180^\circ \hbox{ FahCel} \times \hbox{scale} = 100^\circ \hbox{ Celsius}[/latex]

[latex] \displaystyle \hbox{scale}= \frac{100^\circ \hbox{ Celsius}}{180°^\circ \hbox{ FahCel}} = \frac{5}{9} [/latex]

Which means 1 degree Celsius is equal to 5/9 degrees Fahrenheit.

So to convert from degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Celsius we subtract 32 and multiply by 5/9:

Thanks for that. I keep thinking 5/9 is a fraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It is a fraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

:confused:

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Hi,

Thanks.

For example:

Sorry. I just saw it expressed differently.

Surely it's the other way around.

1F = 5/9C ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Surely it's the other way around.

1F = 5/9C ?

100 C = 180 F

Therefore 1 C = (180/100)F
    i.e. 1 C = (9/5) F

or 1F = 5/9C

Delphi91 wrote: »
    1F = 5/9C

Well done.

Advertisement