Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severity of Greek Austerity Measures

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seriously are you that angry with them ? Well enjoying revenge then?? What is wrong with you?
    Why does a 5 year old child fainting in Greece command more of your attention than thousands of 5 year olds dropping dead in Africa, South America and Asia?

And why do you get so much pleasure out of it? Does if make you feel good, give you a thrill or something, when they die? What kind of person are you that could take pleasure from their deaths??

Seriously, cut it out please.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Hopefully we can now resume talking about what people are actually saying, rather than just making stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Didn't we have someone collapse due to malnutrition in a school in Cork?

I've yet to see how austerity is the cause of anyone starving. If train drivers can earn 60k pa. in Greece, then perhaps the severe poverty is caused by economic mismanagement and corrupting governmental and non-governmental interference, rather than a lack of resources available to the state itself during this period of 'austerity'.

Does it matter if austerity is the cause? They are children?

Only truly deviant people blame the helpless it's a way of excusing your self preservation and indulgence.

That charity gives to children around the world Ireland included you can choose whichever city you choose.....i would tell you what i thought of but i would get banned.

Are you suggesting i don't care about the plight of vulnerable people in Ireland because i care about the vulnerable elsewhere?

There is no moral basis to your position other than begrudgery, resentment and bitterness.

I would not presume to know if you enage if philanthropy at home or elsewhere.....but judging on what you have demonstrated here i would doubt it is a part of your life at all. Perhaps you are your own charity case maybe in fact you need your own help.

You are a misanthropist......yours is a sinister world view..it must be awful to live in a world that disgusts you so much.

Your position is if society makes mistakes as a whole..even the most innocent within it deserve no help...and if so ...you are not responsible.

That 'myself' mentality is exactly what has ruined this world.

EVERYONE DESERVES HELP AND IT IS EVERYONE'S DUTY AS A FELLOW HUMAN TO HELP

Infact the rights of the child and human rights are fundamental to every western civilization and democracy. I hold those rights to beself evident. Human life is valuable in itself. It does not lose it's value simply because it made mistakes....we feed prisoners and acknowledge their rights.

That bus driver earning a wage which i have no doubt has been manipulated by TV propaganda is no worse than you...you turn your eye also on the less fortunate so log as you are ok.

You are a weak minded minion for the greedy corporate bankers who instigated this entire global crisis.

THE GREEK BUS DRIVER???? YOU WATCH TOO MUCH TRASHY TV

TRY WORKING IN THE GREEK PRIVATE SECTOR ON 700 EURO A MONTH IN A CITY AS EXPENISVE AS LONDON 10-11 hours a day

Public school teachers earn 600 EURO a month in a city as expensive as london.
    The Greeks in the private sector work longer hours than the Germans work did you know that?

Forget about the decency of the Greeks what about YOURS?
    You are suggesting they don't deserve help because they lack virtue. And you are applying this to Greeks in general to justify not helping any.To suggest that lack of virtues is an inherently Greek trait is a form of racism.

The world says the same about the Irish...and the poor and any group of people they need to justify their discrimmination and dehumanising of.I would thoroughly lament the lack of honor in this society. What about aportioning blame to those who instigated this whole mess? Or identifying it as a failure of society in general.

There i have said it ...i apologise to mods if this goes beyond good manners but some of this attitude and rhetoric is FAR to close to a mixture of misanthropy and dicrimmination. AND IT SHOULD BE OPPOSED

We are not superior to anyone. Greeks, Africans and Irish are equally entitled to our compassion and respect. If you say Greeks or Africans or Irish as a whole nation are not or less so that is racist to blacken a whole country.

I hate this weak minded propaganda that aportions blame on the basis of ethnicity. Every country has screwed up.

Monty Burns you are aptly named.......I am not taking the moral high ground you are surrendering.

I suspect TROLL.....nevermind i am done with this ...if people do want to check out that charity you can give to children anywhere in the world once off or regularly..no pressure though i know for some it is tougher.

I do consider myself lucky and truly fortunate to be able to be charitable, not everyone can, through no fault of their own i know.

It is fortunate to be in a position to give not a burden.

Poeticseraphim, you are labouring under the impression that someone other than Greece is imposing poverty on them. They have imposed it on themselves. They are less deserving of sympathy than many other poorer countries that did not have all the advantages that Greece has. I don't expect anyone takes any pleasure out of the disaster they created for themselves, but I certainly don't feel any culpability either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Poeticseraphim, you are labouring under the impression that someone other than Greece is imposing poverty on them. They have imposed it on themselves. They are less deserving of sympathy than many other poorer countries that did not have all the advantages that Greece has. I don't expect anyone takes any pleasure out of the disaster they created for themselves, but I certainly don't feel any culpability either.

You are under the impression that it would matter to me. You re also under the impression that all of Greece is imposing poverty on all of Greece and it is blaming very Greekfor the actions of some. And paintin all greeks with those characteristics. It is logically flawed.

Many third world countries are held hostage by the rich in their own countries. Corruption is widespread in poverty stricken areas.

I don't divide charitibale cases in terms of deserving and non deserving. It is dangerous and grotesque. It is not some kind of competition.

It is a false dichotomy of innocent victims and guilty victims. They are bth suffering they both should be helped it is not as if not helping one is going to help the other.

Not all in Greece did this ..not all Greeks ...you are denying help to all...or even the right to help ....

Not ALL Irish people should suffer because of what went on here.

This is part of the reason we need to have trials in court for those that instigated this crisis because people are aportioning inapropriate levels of guilt indiscriminately. Instead of actually finding those guilty parties bankers officals politicians in Greece here Britain etc....we are allowing Kids and EVERYONE to take their blame...

Innocent people in Greece do not deserve that guilt or shame.....they DO deserve help..

I never said you were culpable....but to be honest if you were to use the same logic in Ireland..we have corruption here by the same standard you would blame everyone here and by everyone you would include yourself.

If all Greeks are to blame for poverty in Greece then are not all people to blamefor the Global crisis?? And then do not all people havea duty to help?

And it is a Global crisis....if it were the Greek people..well why is it in Spain Ireland etc??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Do you seriously think every person in Greece, young and old, is responsible for the mess their country is in (even those since born into it; somehow inheriting their parents culpability), and think none of them deserve any sympathy? (and implicitly deserve whatever they get?)

Not sure how interested I am in picking apart the clear logical fallacies underlying such thinking; right now at least, am curious if I really am interpreting that right, and if that really is your openly stated view.

Do you seriously think every person in Greece, young and old, is responsible for the mess their country is in (even those since born into it; somehow inheriting their parents culpability), and think none of them deserve any sympathy? (and implicitly deserve whatever they get?)
    Please read what I post before jumping in with accusations.
    They have my sympathy, but they used their sovereignty to mismanage themselves into a disaster.
    Perhaps you might explain why charity should be directed to a wealthy European country when there are places on earth where 'austerity Greece' would appear to be a paradise? Of course if you want to send them cash, away you go and more power to you. Some of us feel that there are more deserving cases out there.
    Not sure how interested I am in picking apart the clear logical fallacies underlying such thinking; right now at least, am curious if I really am interpreting that right, and if that really is your openly stated view.
    Ah go on, give it a try.

Please read what I post before jumping in with accusations.
    I asked a question, I didn't accuse; is the way your views are presented in my question, an accurate interpretation?

I asked a question, I didn't accuse; is the way your views are presented in my question, an accurate interpretation?
    If you are asking 'are the Greek people responsible for the state Greece is in', the answer is undoubtedly yes.

If you are asking 'are the Greek people responsible for the state Greece is in', the answer is undoubtedly yes.
    All of the Greek people? Young and old (including those too young to vote); those that were born since the crisis?

This isn't just hair splitting now; you do seem to be generalizing on to all the people in Greece, and it can quickly be shown that many Greek people had no ability to influence events, and did not bring about conditions that caused the crisis either.

• Advertisement

All of the Greek people? Young and old (including those too young to vote); those that were born since the crisis?

This isn't just hair splitting now; you do seem to be generalizing on to all the people in Greece, and it can quickly be shown that many Greek people had no ability to influence events, and did not bring about conditions that caused the crisis either.
    I am speaking of 'the Greeks'. We speak about 'the Germans' in WW2 even though not all of them were toting rifles or butchering Jews. It's hardly a point worth making that there are children and/or foetuses that did not steer Greece into catastrophe. They have my sympathy for the disaster their parents and grandparents created - and I even feel sympathy for the adults. But I still fail to see why we are expected to direct our charitable efforts away from those peoples who are in far worse situations through no fault of their own.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

One of the many tragedies of democracy is that the electorate share collegiate responsibility for the actions of the elected government.

If you can think of a way that only those who are actually responsible for Greece's problems (including those who voted for the governments who so shockingly mismanaged the economy) are forced to bear the burden of actually paying the bills, I'd be interested to hear it.

I am speaking of 'the Greeks'. We speak about 'the Germans' in WW2 even though not all of them were toting rifles or butchering Jews. It's hardly a point worth making that there are children and/or foetuses that did not steer Greece into catastrophe. They have my sympathy for the disaster their parents and grandparents created - and I even feel sympathy for the adults. But I still fail to see why we are expected to direct our charitable efforts away from those peoples who are in far worse situations through no fault of their own.
    Okey so not all Greeks are responsible for the crisis their country is in, therefore saying "the Greeks are responsible" is false, because that is generalizing to all of the people in Greece.

More so, it can't be said that all Greek adults are responsible for the mess their country is in, because there is no guarantee that who they voted for would have made a difference, and not all of them voted for the parties that allowed the conditions which helped cause the crisis.

So again, another part of the fallacy; basically, you can't generalize the blame for their crisis, onto all (or even most) of the people in Greece; there is no such thing as responsibility shared by an entire nation like that.

Also, whether a person deserves sympathy (and how much), does not depend upon the relative conditions of the country that person is in, or whether or not 'some' people in that country are responsible for the mess it is in.

A person going through a hard time deserves sympathy no matter if there's someone worse off out there or not.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    One of the many tragedies of democracy is that the electorate share collegiate responsibility for the actions of the elected government.

If you can think of a way that only those who are actually responsible for Greece's problems (including those who voted for the governments who so shockingly mismanaged the economy) are forced to bear the burden of actually paying the bills, I'd be interested to hear it.
    The whole population bears the burden of the responsibility yes, as in, has to deal with the results of any mismanagement, but the whole electorate is not responsible for the mismanagement happening in the first place.

EDIT: My issue is not that the consequences should be doled out selectively based on who is responsible for causing the crisis, just that it can't be said that everyone in the country deserves less sympathy because of mismanagement; that would be fallacious as not everyone is responsible for that mismanagement, and most likely had no means to influence it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The whole population bears the burden of the responsibility yes, as in, has to deal with the results of any mismanagement, but the whole electorate is not responsible for the mismanagement happening in the first place.
    I didn't vote for Fianna Fáil. That doesn't mean I don't get to live with the results of their fiscal policies.

It doesn't matter who's to blame on an individual basis. The Greek people need to start paying their bills. That's just how it is. Hand-wringing won't change that fact.

Right but as I clarified in the edit to my last post, it is not right to say anyone in Greece is less deserving of sympathy, by saying they are all responsible for the actions of their government.

Everyone in Greece has to deal with the consequences of their governments actions, but not everyone in Greece is responsible for the actions of their government, i.e. not everyone in Greece is culpable for their governments actions.

I'm not deferring their responsibility to deal with the results of the crisis, just that it is wrong to say they deserve what they've got, or that they deserve less sympathy than anyone else, based on the above reasoning.

Okey so not all Greeks are responsible for the crisis their country is in, therefore saying "the Greeks are responsible" is false, because that is generalizing to all of the people in Greece.
    Indeed. Well spotted - 'the Greeks', like - say - 'the Irish' is a generalisation. I'm not sure we are breaking any new ground here though.
    More so, it can't be said that all Greek adults are responsible for the mess their country is in, because there is no guarantee that who they voted for would have made a difference, and not all of them voted for the parties that allowed the conditions which helped cause the crisis.
    If they weren't happy with how their country was being run, they could have protested (we've seen they are good at that). An individual could stand for election. The fact remains that they were happy to live in a country that lived on credit and where paying tax was a voluntary exercise, while public sector workers were paid twice or three times what their private sector counterparts earned. Their complicity or apathy allowed this situation to develop.
    So again, another part of the fallacy; basically, you can't generalize the blame for their crisis, onto all (or even most) of the people in Greece; there is no such thing as responsibility shared by an entire nation like that.
    How do you mean, 'there is no such thing'? Of course there is. When Germany invaded Russia, the Russians didn't just shoot at the Germans who supported the war, did they?

You appear to be arguing against the principle of national sovereignty.
    Also, whether a person deserves sympathy (and how much), does not depend upon the relative conditions of the country that person is in, or whether or not 'some' people in that country are responsible for the mess it is in.

A person going through a hard time deserves sympathy no matter if there's someone worse off out there or not.
    Yes, and I believe I may have said once or twice that they have my sympathy.

If they weren't happy with how their country was being run, they could have protested (we've seen they are good at that). An individual could stand for election. The fact remains that they were happy to live in a country that lived on credit and where paying tax was a voluntary exercise, while public sector workers were paid twice or three times what their private sector counterparts earned. Their complicity or apathy allowed this situation to develop.
    Yes and that presupposes both knowledge of the problem and an ability to do something effective about it; the flaws of democracy and limits of the population to both be collectively aware of, and able to do something about issues, are clear.

People have a responsibility to be a watchdog of and to police their government, but they don't collectively share the blame for issues they don't have widespread collective knowledge of, or collective power to prevent, even when they share the responsibility to deal with the results of those issues.

Without diverging further, going back to why I point out the above:
    To say all of the people in Greece undergoing hardship, deserve less sympathy because of the actions of their government, is wrong.

Fair enough that they have your sympathy, but that generalization is wrong.

Yes and that presupposes both knowledge of the problem and an ability to do something effective about it;
    Yes, it does. You think they weren't aware of these things? :confused:
    People have a responsibility to be a watchdog of and to police their government, but they don't collectively share the blame for issues they don't have widespread collective knowledge of, or collective power to prevent, even when they share the responsibility to deal with the results of those issues.
    You seem to think they didn't know about this stuff - they did. And they had the collective power to prevent it.

Let's not pretend otherwise.
    Without diverging further, going back to why I point out the above:
    To say all of the people in Greece undergoing hardship, deserve less sympathy because of the actions of their government, is wrong.
    I disagree. If it was somebody else's government who caused the problem - you'd have a point. But it was the government of the Greeks, composed of Greeks, that arose from a society shaped by the Greeks. The majority of them were complicit in this disaster.

Yes, it does. You think they weren't aware of these things? :confused:

You seem to think they didn't know about this stuff - they did. And they had the collective power to prevent it.
    A significant proportion would need to have been aware of the problems, and able to collectively act to rectify them.

You can't just unleash the collective power of all the people in a country; how would you propose they overcome the significant inertia of such a movement?

There are numerous political problems in Ireland, that require collective action to rectify, but you can't just ignore the problem of inertia there, where much of the country is not aware of even half of the problems, and getting people informed and actually acting is a huge barrier.

Where people are made aware of problems and actually have an ability to act on it, they have a responsibility to do so, but you cannot lay collective blame on an entire population if there are significant barriers to overcoming both the inertia to action, and spreading of knowledge about issues.
    I disagree. If it was somebody else's government who caused the problem - you'd have a point. But it was the government of the Greeks, composed of Greeks, that arose from a society shaped by the Greeks. The majority of them were complicit in this disaster.
    How were the majority complicit? Would things have been different if they elected a different government? How would you even know the majority were aware of such problems.

If people are complicit, they have to choose to take some part in an act; part of their reason for voting for a particular party, must have been in direct (not implicit or second hand) support of the particular problematic policies.

If other parties (the other choices) would have undertaken the same policies, or if people did not know what policies would be enacted when voting, or if elected officials undertake different policies than they campaigned for, etc. etc., then people can not be directly complicit as a cause of the issue, even if they are responsible for dealing with the results of it, and are responsible for attempting to rectify it once knowledge of an issue is known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Good loser

A significant proportion would need to have been aware of the problems, and able to collectively act to rectify them.

You can't just unleash the collective power of all the people in a country; how would you propose they overcome the significant inertia of such a movement?

There are numerous political problems in Ireland, that require collective action to rectify, but you can't just ignore the problem of inertia there, where much of the country is not aware of even half of the problems, and getting people informed and actually acting is a huge barrier.

Where people are made aware of problems and actually have an ability to act on it, they have a responsibility to do so, but you cannot lay collective blame on an entire population if there are significant barriers to overcoming both the inertia to action, and spreading of knowledge about issues.

How were the majority complicit? Would things have been different if they elected a different government? How would you even know the majority were aware of such problems.

If people are complicit, they have to choose to take some part in an act; part of their reason for voting for a particular party, must have been in direct (not implicit or second hand) support of the particular problematic policies.

If other parties (the other choices) would have undertaken the same policies, or if people did not know what policies would be enacted when voting, or if elected officials undertake different policies than they campaigned for, etc. etc., then people can not be directly complicit as a cause of the issue, even if they are responsible for dealing with the results of it, and are responsible for attempting to rectify it once knowledge of an issue is known.

If you read the Vanity Fair article quoted earlier it appears every significant sector of Greek society - apart from the bankers - was in on kleptocracy.

Everybody knew about 'the problems', same as everyone in Ireland knew Bertie Ahern was crooked. It's not up to me to propose how people overcome their inertia - I am only saying that their inertia is their own responsibility.
    The majority are complicit because their government, their parties - everything about the Greek political world - arises from Greek society. Who is responsible for Greek society?
    Not true. You can be complicit by just sitting back and watching - which many did, while enjoying the short-term benefits.
    This is getting rather silly now. You are trying to totally disassociate a whole nation from its own government and society.

Good loser wrote: »
    If you read the Vanity Fair article quoted earlier it appears every significant sector of Greek society - apart from the bankers - was in on kleptocracy.
    I wouldn't count on people having read the article unfortunately.

That Vanity Fair article was interesting; I'm not sure how much difficulty in inertia the population would have had in enacting change, but (if the article is accurate) it would be hard to say anyone didn't know how widespread corruption was.

In their case, it was certainly a case of the population bearing at least some responsibility, due to the problems being very well known and widespread; I wonder whether there were inertial difficulties in enacting change (whistleblowers were certainly persecuted, but that's the least of it), or whether it was entirely culture.

That Vanity Fair article was interesting; I'm not sure how much difficulty in inertia the population would have had in enacting change, but (if the article is accurate) it would be hard to say anyone didn't know how widespread corruption was.
    Ok, hopefully now you understand what I was getting at. I'm not a heartless clown laughing at the Greeks' problems, I'm trying to balance this notion that they are pure victims of some sort of external conspiracy.

No that's fair enough, I don't mean to posit that they were a victim of any grand conspiracy, I just personally think there is a limit to collective culpability.

In the Greek case, there's certainly a shared responsibility, I just don't know where I'd place the limits of that now, since the corruption was pretty obvious and widespread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Ok, hopefully now you understand what I was getting at. I'm not a heartless clown laughing at the Greeks' problems, I'm trying to balance this notion that they are pure victims of some sort of external conspiracy.

The issue probably comes down to one of conscience.
    Depending on one's beliefs, Greece, cast in the role of idiot thief, either should or should not be assisted, and if so, to what extent? (And why?)

To withold assistance would seem to prolong the current conditions, whilst to assist would lead to fears of lesson not having been learnt.

The first problem arises, Greece or the Greek people?

My issue is this:
    Even though it is collectively acknowledged that "serious errors" were made in the mishandling of the entire Greek economy, should those who are less fortunate than those who lined their own pockets suffer more than those that did?

But should lawbreakers be rehabilitated or punished?
    The answer, in the local case is often down to economics- rehabilitate the drug abuser, introduce the thief to those from whom he has stolen, and hopefully the drug abuser wont place such a future strain on state resources, and hopefully the thief wont be accomodated at our expenses through a lifetime's 40, 50. or 90 convictions in and out of the court system.

Too much austerity is going to create a generational problem, whilst at the same time, no institutional reform for previous misdemeanours will ensure nothing officially changes.

Thanks to the VA article, I am conscientuously challenged.
    Also, thanks to comments in the follow-up Q and A with the writer.

How can I sympathise with Greece who screwed with the system for years?

There must be some protection for those at the lower end of the scale facing poverty as opposed to punishment all round.

The only option I can endorse is one of basic "social" protection, ie, ensuring that the "failure" has but the basic requirements, but that must include medicine, power etc, and that is the point, for me.

Were they too "thick", conniving or uneducated (like the Irish, voting for FF)?, well, there is always an opportunity to vote, and act differently, but it will certainly not happen overnight.

The UN has warned against the social costs of austerity measures, also http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=42173&Cr=economic+crisis&Cr1=and that is my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭SeanW

Good loser wrote: »
    Yes, a bizarre twist of fate that while everywhere else, the banks broke their countries by engaging in glorified casino gambling, Greece was a country that broke its banks (that were otherwise sleepy and careful).
    The issue probably comes down to one of conscience.
    Depending on one's beliefs, Greece, cast in the role of idiot thief, either should or should not be assisted, and if so, to what extent? (And why?)

To withold assistance would seem to prolong the current conditions, whilst to assist would lead to fears of lesson not having been learnt.

The first problem arises, Greece or the Greek people?

My issue is this:
    Even though it is collectively acknowledged that "serious errors" were made in the mishandling of the entire Greek economy, should those who are less fortunate than those who lined their own pockets suffer more than those that did?
    Let's be clear - austerity in Greece is unavoidable. No matter what you say, their government is spending way more than they're taking in and no-one believes anything they say anymore, hence they cannot borrow.

One thing is for certain, if people are genuinely in real distress in Greece, i.e. going hungry, having to abandon their children (and I believe this is happening), then that requires action. However, it is a myth that the Greeks do not have the resources to deal with these issues.

The Greek government has spectacularly failed to collect taxes over the years, during their bubble years it was considered legitimate national policy to suspend tax collection during election years.

Their public services are also specatularly riddled with waste and fraud, to a point where they make our spoiled crybaby public servants look like exploited wage-slaves by comparison.

Responsibility for correcting these issues, so as to have the funds necessary to take care of those who are in real difficulty, lies absolutely 100% with the Greek government.

Advertisement