Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norris tape to be broadcast at 2:30pm (Oct 21)

Options
  • 21-10-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭

Joe Duffy has just announcedthat Helen Lucy Burke has located the original tape of the now notorious Magill interview. It will be broadcast on Liveline at 2:30pm (today, Fri Oct 21).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Should be interesting. Surprised they can do this, but i'd like to hear it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Helen Lucy Burke has supplied a tape to RTE's liveline program ant it is currently being listened to with a view to airing it. Is this the end of the Norris campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't see what difference it will make. Norris is finished anyway and he also hasn't really refuted anything that was supposed to be in tapes.

It's amazing how all the best dirt has been saved until the last week of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

His campaign was finished long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think this is part if a dirty tricks campaign against Norris they should let the people decide all this rubbish has being done to death + I can't stand that moron Joe Duffy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

It is not correct to air this tape now unless all the candidates are going to have "dirt" dished up as well. To me it is an abuse if it is RTE ( Joe Duffy) who are going to broadcast and will certainly not be neutral or fair but Joe Duffy using RTE to promote his bias and influence the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I don't think it matters now to be honest for Norris but given the 'what exactly was said' nature of the argument so far, it certainly makes it quite clear what, indeed was said, and in what context. I think it's purely academic. I don't think Joe Duffy is the correct medium for this however. The 5PM show certainly where it could be disected and discussed in an intelligent manner, but we know what we'll get from Joe & Co. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It is not correct to air this tape now unless all the candidates are going to have "dirt" dished up as well.

All candidates have dirt dished on them. Except for Higgins, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm too young to remember the last presidential debate in any great detail (its refreshing to be able to say that - i aint too young for much these days :D) but feck me these presidential elections, for lets face it - a meaningless, powerless political position - are durty!

Six days before the election and she finds the tape she couldn't find months ago?!

I don't think it'll change who i'm voting for....at the moment its a case of working backward for whom I'm not voting for til i end up with one of them.

Teclo wrote: »
    All candidates have dirt dished on them. Except for Higgins, of course.

Well this appears to be singling out Norris if at this particular time in the campaign? Unfair and bias from a public broadcaster.

Perhaps there is no dirt on MDH? There are some decent people in Ireland, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why does everyone assume there is something terrible in here? I'll bet it'll be a damp squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Why does everyone assume there is something terrible in here? I'll bet it'll be a damp squib.

it is actually....nothing to see here!

it is actually....nothing to see here!

So far, nothing significant, it's very close to the published article. On an ad break now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It is not correct to air this tape now unless all the candidates are going to have "dirt" dished up as well. To me it is an abuse if it is RTE ( Joe Duffy) who are going to broadcast and will certainly not be neutral or fair but Joe Duffy using RTE to promote his bias and influence the election.

Would it be better if the tape was not played until after the election ?

If he is to be believed :p then this tape will prove his words were twisted in the article, and his name will be cleared on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He came accross ok to be honest...she sounded like she was from the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Joe Duffy really has timed this well. Hechas orchestrated a campaign against Norris all along and it looks like he's been sitting on this tape, waiting until the final week of the election campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I missed this, can anyone give a quick rundown on what was on the tape?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Would it be better if the tape was not played until after the election ?

If he is to be believed :p then this tape will prove his words were twisted in the article, and his name will be cleared on this issue.

True of course, but why not broadcast before now, but the tape has only just been found. I am sure Joe Duffy will be voting for DN and he wants DN vindicated :)

So, that wasn't a break, that was all she had. She apparently turned off the dictaphone.

What came across on the tape which wasn't obvious in the finished article was that HLB was obviously digging for dirt, she wanted Norris's opinion on gay sex in bath houses and AIDs, promiscuity, paedophilia, incest and so on.

All the durty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think this is part if a dirty tricks campaign against Norris they should let the people decide all this rubbish has being done to death + I can't stand that moron Joe Duffy .

I dont see how letting the public know things he says and does is dirty tricks. They are not making things up.

Maybe David Norris needs to have his thoughts and actions edited before making them public. No ones fault but his own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pretty obvious attempt at entrapment/self-incrimination I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He won't win, but he should pick up a lot of extra 2nd/3rd/4th preferences now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Have RTE made this available online yet? Missed it and it appears this might have been less than the smoking gun the certain elements claimed. Interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've levelled off the volume and uploaded it to youtube.

One wonders if the pious and self righteous are more concerned about a gay man becoming President than anything else? 2002 tapes that reappear at the appropriate/inappropriate time.

So between IRA Marty and his inglorious past, Gay Norris and his musings, attention seeking Dana ( crazy as a box of frogs), born again Independent new FF Gallagher who cannot talk straight, Mr grudge chip on both shoulders Mitchell, Mary Well connected talentless Davis who cannot understand why she was on numerous Boards without and qualifications and Mr MD Higgins our very own leprechaun. We have a right Bassetts assortment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

None of the age of consent issues but hearing much of the 'classic Greek paedophile' stuff is creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

If by dirty tricks you mean bringing to light, many of the very questionable and highly suspect aspects of this charlatan's past then yes, it is a dirty tricks campaign.

Honestly, there are a handfull of people left that claim Norris is being targeted but everything that has come out is verifiable and serious, not smear. I fail to see how that is targeting, would the few remaining supporters of this lunatic prefer if the less palatable details of his past simply didn't come up at all?

After this is over, I deeply wish that David Norris never blackens the public eye again. Given all that has come up in a few weeks, god only knows what this character has gotten up to in the past. Presidential material? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

After all the hype about this tape .....and this is as good as it gets..ffs what a waste of time

I think it is a very feeble dirty trick, there's nothing shocking on the tape at all and it shows HLB herself in a rather creepy light, but sitting on it until a week before the election is obviously an attempt at a dirty trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

groovyg wrote: »
    After all the hype about this tape .....and this is as good as it gets..ffs what a waste of time

Imagine how Norris feels.

Advertisement