Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Podcasts to pass the time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not a great day for soccer podcasts. Never listened to the show live but always found a gap in my week to listen to the Off The Ball podcasts and passed many a journey listening to them. Hopefully someone picks them up and gives them similar licence to do what they want.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/entire-newstalks-off-the-ball-team-resigns-29107988.html
    RADIO station Newstalk have confirmed that they have parted company with the presenting staff from their award-winning ‘Off the Ball’ programme.

Presenter Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan have resigned according to the station after over a decade on the evening sports show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Used to listen to them five years ago but found them to be incredibly irritating after a while. Not a patch on the Guardian podcast.

Renn wrote: »
    Used to listen to them five years ago but found them to be incredibly irritating after a while. Not a patch on the Guardian podcast.

Yeah but when you a 1 hour commute per day a 2x45 minute podcast per week is cutting it a bit fine. I preferred Off The Ball to the Times with Marcotti which is a bit dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well there are other podcasts out there :) . Beyond the Pitch if you're looking for more soccer ones?

Renn wrote: »
    Well there are other podcasts out there :) . Beyond the Pitch if you're looking for more soccer ones?

Thanks, will give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Thanks, will give it a go.

Let us know how it is Jay, please. I'm stuck with just the Ramble and Football Weekly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've put together a list of football podcasts for my website, might be of use to some.

Podcast directory

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Cheers for the link -Blue Tuesday is a very good one - BBC Radio Manchester definitely one of the better stations out there for podcasts and Northwest sport in general

Brgds
    Johnny

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

+1 for BBC Manchester. I've started listening to Red Wednesday recently and it's excellent. May even give Blue Tuesday a go, didn't know about till reading your post jkmanc.

No hassle - usually listen to most of the sport and music on BBC Manchester - helps that born and bred in the city though : )

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    +1 for BBC Manchester. I've started listening to Red Wednesday recently and it's excellent. May even give Blue Tuesday a go, didn't know about till reading your post jkmanc.

Think Blue Tuesday and Red Wednesday could be a bit lively this week! Looking forward to 6pm tonight

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Any podcasts which are going to keep going right through the summer? need my fix :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There's none that I'm aware of (except maybe the Off the Ball one :confused: but think that used to take a break as well iirc)

What I've done the last couple of summers is find a podcast I don't normally listen to it and listen back to the entire season - handy way of reliving the crushing of your hopes and dreams and laughing at pundits predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Hello folks.

Myself and my mates started up a podcast, Sometimes Red is Better.

We're based in Dublin and it just started from myself wanting to do something for a bit of craic.

We've two episodes so far; one bumper episode previewing the season that was done with a microphone with two people the room and one on Skype so sound quality isn't great.

Our second one was done with a phone mic and the sound quality is much better.

We're looking to get one out once a week, reviewing and previewing matches from mostly the Premier League and a bit of Europe.

We have a game or two during the Pod to keep it lighthearted.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you had a listen. It's available to download or stream on our SoundCloud page

www.soundcloud.com/sometimes-red-is-better

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Niall

Will have a listen Niall thanks.....also does anyone think that Off The Ball on Newstalk has improved again recently?

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Will have a listen Niall thanks.....also does anyone think that Off The Ball on Newstalk has improved again recently?

Brgds
    Johnny

Yes seems longer and better content. It takes a while to grow (regrow) your identitiy

jkmanc1974 wrote: »

Brgds
    Johnny

Johnny.

Hope you enjoyed the episode.

We've a new one just out. Good chat about the transfers and other bits and bobs.

Have a listen sure!

Niall

https://soundcloud.com/sometimes-red-is-better/sometimes-red-is-better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sid Lowe is doing a decent new Spanish football one - The Spanish Football Podcast (funnily enough). They try to keep the focus off the big 2 for the most part which is refreshing. Usually lasts 30-35 minutes.

Gab Marcotti has one with The Times as well called The Game. Its ok. Wouldn't be the first one go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cheers for the heads up on the Sid Lowe podcast - always find him interesting and entertaining. Much prefer him to the dour Graham Hunter tbh.

btw..the Game has been around for years. It's pretty good as long as Tony Cascarino isn't on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up on the Sid Lowe podcast - always find him interesting and entertaining. Much prefer him to the dour Graham Hunter tbh.

btw..the Game has been around for years. It's pretty good as long as Tony Cascarino isn't on it

Ya, edited as you were posting re The Game. Its been "new" to me I suppose. Id Cas is on it, I don't listen. Its really that simple.

• Advertisement

Thanks was quite good - on holidays at the moment hence plenty of opportunity to listen back and catch up?

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Brewdog

Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast Podcast
    http://talksport.com/podcasts

New Sometimes Red is Better is out!

Join myself and Stíofán Ó Duigeannáina for football chat.

Plus a Martin O'Neill vs Roy Keane game devised by producer Caoimhín O Dómhnallán
    Talking football...

Get on it.

SoundCloud: http://tinyurl.com/nn58rug

iTunes: http://tinyurl.com/qf4rhwv

Let me know what you think. Only two of us this week, usually three. It's basically lads having a chat about the football, lighthearted but informative.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I enjoy the Second Captains football show, look forward to it twice a week. The Football Ramble still takes some beating for me, genuinely funny. Have gotten very tired with Football weekly, rarely listen to it all now, just seems rather tedious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I enjoy the Second Captains football show, look forward to it twice a week. The Football Ramble still takes some beating for me, genuinely funny. Have gotten very tired with Football weekly, rarely listen to it all now, just seems rather tedious.

I've started to notice this a bit too with FW. They've been doing a lot of "What would it be like if we had a team of bald people versus bearded people?" discussions and stuff lately and it's just getting a bit tiresome. Where FW always shined for me was the actual football discussion and how they made THAT entertaining.

Advertisement