Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

post apocalyptic films.

• 20-10-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i am really i the mood to watch a load of post apocalyptic films like mad max and the sort.
    a recent one i watched was the road and it was great.
    any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Boy and his dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mad Max II?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mad Max 11 (2) is the ultimate example in terms of sheer pizazz.

How post apocalyptic do you want to get?

Semi - Escape From New York, Children of Men, Soylent Green, Logans Run, Dawn of the Dead (1978), Threads
    Whole - The Road, Omega Man, Waterworld, The Postman, Damnation Alley, Zardoz, Virus, On the Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Defiantly the road.

Also The book of eli is a decent one too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

Children Of Men is an awesome movie with amazingly filmed action sequences. Stake Land I thought was very good. Doomsday is one to watch aswell such a strange movie and I still don't know if I liked it or not but it's definitely post-apocalyptic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Angels never sleep from 1989.

Odd film, and probably hard to find. The piano music the last man on earth plays in the middle of it haunted me for 15 years.
    I wanted to learn to play the piano just to be able to play it, because I never heard it again until youtube launched, and I found a copy online. The film was never really released in Europe - it played on Channel 4 once shortly after it came out.

It's a mix of almost manga animation and real action.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

"Semi - Escape From New York, Children of Men, Soylent Green, Logans Run, Dawn of the Dead (1978), Threads "

Shouldn't Threads be in the whole category? considering global thermo nuclear war has happened... never the less it's a Must watch film!

Here's a few that you might find interesting

The war game
    Fail safe (2 versions 1964 one with Henry Fonda & one with Clooney which I think was in 2000, both very good but 1964 one wins out)
    The Day after
    Testament
    Countdown to looking glass
    Miracle Mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you want post apocalyptic with vampires I'd highly recommend Stake Land.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

You want this beauty....

Threads (1984)

"Documentary style account of a nuclear holocaust and its effect on the working class city of Sheffield, England; and the eventual long term effects of nuclear war on civilization"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2023790698427111488

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

FatherLen wrote: »
    i am really i the mood to watch a load of post apocalyptic films like mad max and the sort.
    a recent one i watched was the road and it was great.
    any suggestions?
    Water World,always thought this was underated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Night of the Comet is quite good, been about 8 years since I seen it but thought it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Try Cyborg with Jean Claude Van Damme. Dam good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

Van Damme good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

mike65 wrote: »

How post apocalyptic do you want to get?

Threads

Wow, I watched this last night on your recommendation. Big fan of post apolcalypitc movies and never heard of it before. It was brilliant, hard hitting with an excellent tension and build up. Great that it was just ordinary Sheffield and not one of the bigger cities. Will definitely be recommending again. It's also free on Google Video for anyone who wants to watch.
    Also watched Stakeland last week, quite fresh to see a vampire with a hint of sarcasm and without soppyness.
    The Quiet Earth is another hidden gem, all about a guy in New Zealand waking up to find himself being the only person alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

One coming out soon, looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

bedrock#1 wrote: »
    You want this beauty....

Threads (1984)

"Documentary style account of a nuclear holocaust and its effect on the working class city of Sheffield, England; and the eventual long term effects of nuclear war on civilization"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2023790698427111488

Was about to suggest that. The treatment is grim reading. Have yet to bring myself to watching it.
    'When the Wind Blows' is another one. It's animated, but very bleak.

• mike65 wrote: »

Ha, I looked at this and couldn't figure out how I didn't know they made 11 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I liked 12 Monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

http://listverse.com/2008/03/05/top-10-dystopian-films-you-havent-seen/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_films

This week's random recommendation is Delicatessen. Humour, imagery, quirky and love the saw music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha, I looked at this and couldn't figure out how I didn't know they made 11 of them.

That was for our American readers! :p

"the Madness of King George the third?, I don't remember parts one and two!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I cant believe nobody has mentoned Planet of the Apes. Its a classic.

Great storyline, whos smarter than who and the ending is a shocker!

The great thing about this film is that you dont even realise you are watching a post apocalyptic film. Im not giving away anything as everyone must have seen it by this stage. Surely.

"Get away from me you damned ape"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

OP "I want to watch something in the vein of Mad Max"
    Replies "The Road"

I mean...c'mon lads, think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

al28283 wrote: »
    One coming out soon, looks great

That looks well cool.Havent seen a good Biehn movie in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Found this while searching for recommendations so hopefully it's alright to bump, Considering the current times I've been wanting to watch some more of these.

I've watch the survivalist, akira, shaun of the dead and 28 days later. Any one else got any decent films they've seen that fall into this genre?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Found this while searching for recommendations so hopefully it's alright to bump, Considering the current times I've been wanting to watch some more of these.

I've watch the survivalist, akira, shaun of the dead and 28 days later. Any one else got any decent films they've seen that fall into this genre?
    I presume you've watched 28 weeks later?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Day off the Triffiths, (I think it was a two parter) was on bbc a few years back. The film was ok but it made back in th 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

If you're in a cheery mood and fancy being down for the next two weeks then watch "The Road".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Try any of the following
    The Postman
    Zombieland,
    The Mist
    I am legend.
    28 Days Later

• Advertisement

• I look forward to watching pre apocalypse movies with the same sense of remoteness that we used watch the post apocalyptic ones with..

Advertisement