Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaped animals shot in Ohio, USA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Sundy wrote: »
    That's disappointing.
    thanks for proving my point,that those who claim to value human life are just mealy mouthed hypocrites :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

archer22 wrote: »
    thanks for proving my point,that those who claim to value human life are just mealy mouthed hypocrites :).

The only hope for the planet in general is education, sustaineable development and family planning in places like Africa to improve the lot of humans and threatened wildlife alike. Sadly few in the aid "industry" appear interested in any of these issues:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

And your a nutter who makes assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The only hope for the planet in general is education, sustaineable development and family planning in places like Africa to improve the lot of humans and threatened wildlife alike. Sadly few in the aid "industry" appear interested in any of these issues:(
    Nail on the head.
    Over population and the need for resources that it brings is perhaps the biggest threat to wildlife right now.
    Greed and exploitation are others. I know its off topic but i read an article about Congo recently, dear oh dear..

It's such a shame to see such beautiful creatures dead. However can we please get things into perspective. To all those pontificating about the bloodthirsty cops, imagine walking into your front garden to find a pride of lions there. I'd imagine the last thing on anyone's minds would be, where are the tranquelizers.

Be realitic folks, it's all about safety and sadly in this case that meant the loss of some beautiful animals.
    I think anyone who would go around imagining there was a pride of Lions in their front garden...would probably need the tranquilisers :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nail on the head.
    Over population and the need for resources that it brings is perhaps the biggest threat to wildlife right now.
    Greed and exploitation are others. I know its off topic but i read an article about Congo recently, dear oh dear..

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/congo-gorilla2011.html#cr

Hey watch the insults little man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Careful....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Why did this guy even have the animals in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I think anyone who would go around imagining there was a pride of Lions in their front garden...would probably need the tranquilisers :confused:.

:rolleyes:

Sigh.....you know what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Apparently the herpes infected monkey is still "at large" - Planet of the Apes was right!

And so it begins....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Very sad story:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15602401
    Lions and bears charged at Ohio policemen arriving at a private game park where their owner had set them free, a police report says.
    The report reveals just how close some animals came to the policemen and defends their decision to kill them.
    Police say they were defending the public from aggressive animals - including tigers, wolves and monkeys.
    They killed 48 wild animals after their owner, Terry Thompson, 62, opened their cages before shooting himself dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Stories a bit racist tbh.

Why did they feel the need to mention the Lion was African?
    What did it matter where he was from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Sad indeed.Although if they were the Gardaí some of them would be heading to the hospital instead of back to the local station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

It's the circle of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Didn't this happen 2 weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

smk89 wrote: »
    Didn't this happen 2 weeks ago?

Ya October 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I hope they ate them afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Sadly op i reckon a mod will lock this as there is already a big thread about it.

To sum it up. Some people feel it was downright wrong for the police to shoot the animals, others said it was what had to be done...
    My view is put yourself in the situation and knowing the circumstances at hand. Shooting the animals was the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I watched Louis Theroux's programme on these "private zoos" last week. Well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They probably had little option in fairness.

The thread title sounds like a bunch of drunk cops going on the rampage in a zoo.

We all know that Gorillas just want to SMASH stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The vampires from "Twilight" would have taken care of all those animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Really any police station within a certain area of a zoo should always be prepped for this scenario. I would say it's unlikely but it's happened quite abit this year over in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Really any police station within a certain area of a zoo should always be prepped for this scenario. I would say it's unlikely but it's happened quite abit this year over in the US

This happened in the US - you can be sure the station had enough arms to deal with a small uprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I think zebra was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I watched Louis Theroux's programme on these "private zoos" last week. Well worth a look.

The man who took out his white tiger from the cage as if it was a dog was massively paranoid of people. Someone like that incharge of wild animals is just dangerous. And the kangaroo being wheeled around in a pram was ridiculous.

On the original story the owner was in the wrong aswell as the law which allows people to keep these animals. Can't blame police. If I had a lion running at me I'd want it to be shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Think the worst case scenario was small children standing at school bus stops would be eaten by the escaped animals - The two monkeys were killed by the tigers. Grizzlies are huge and not so nice nor are the black bears. The wife is suing to have the animals returned - it's a mess but the one good thing is the laws about keeping exotic animals by private owner are going to change. The man's head bore marks of being gnawed on by the tigers, after he shot himself. He had to have known that his animals would be shot after he loosed them so I hardly believe he truly loved them.

Can someone please explain the difference between a bengal tiger being shot and a dog getting knocked down? It's still just a life.. At least a domestic cat or dog can't kill your kids and family.

Fair feks to the cops for handling the situation in the proper manner.. Saving the public they serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

It is very difficult to hit an animal in just the right spot as to tranquilize it. I put the blame for the whole tragedy on the owner who felt that his "right" to own exotic animals out weighed their right to be wild animals and everyone in the area to a certain degree of safety. I believe he was a very selfish man. The laws will be changed now. That , at least is a move in the right direction.

• Advertisement

That's your reason for putting blame on he owner? I think he blame lies with him releasing them intentionally.

Advertisement