Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Spanish/ Argentinian Restaurant in Maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Heard from some friends that it was ok, but again, too expensive.
    Anyone want to take a picture of the menu and post it up here???

In other news, I see tripadvisor has updated its list of Maynooth Restaurants...

Still no sign of their website being updated, but the menupages page looks like they're getting started on it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kildarelilly

Tried this new place, food ok, service friendly but very slow, thought it was quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Visited twice since opening ,like most places it has pros and cons .You can see its a friendly ,family run labour of love and God help anyone trying to get a business of the ground nowadays !Im loathe to be too critical for that reason but prices would need to come down at least a little .Tapas are tasty but small and dear .Its possible to get a steak for main course on the Sunday lunch menu without breaking the bank though .The kids LOVE the waitresses 'flamenco' dresses .Its definitely worth at least one look in but to be in with a chance of scooping regular repeat customers a few special price deals would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Limited selection? I got 3 different menus when I was there last thursday, early bird, a la carte & tapas, which had over 50 items to choose from. Plus they had an American thanksgiving special 3 courses including basted turkey and the works for €24! Fantastic choice if you ask me? And ice had paella in both salamanca and port house and neither are anything like it, more like coloured rice with frozen seafood!

Should clarify. The tapas menu seemed to be limited. No paella available as a tapas at all.

Otherwise they have a very wide range.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 britespark

Tried this new place, food ok, service friendly but very slow, thought it was quite expensive.
    Went last week for a meal , the food was average, service was average . Restuante itself was nicely decorated with a warm athmosphere.. The prices left a bitter taste in my mouth !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

In fairness she can't go around nowadays slating restaurants and cafes in the area. One bad review could put a business under with jobs lost and everything. I'm sure she's thinking about the bigger picture when she's writing reviews.
    Methinks you're (or possibly she's) is missing the point of a review. Take that attitude and nothing would ever get a bad review in case it meant people lost their jobs.:eek:

I haven't tried that place yet, but it's on my bucket list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭granturismo

No paella available as a tapas at all.
    Otherwise they have a very wide range.

Paella isnt usually on a tapas menu.

I went this weekend and the only negative was the cost - but in my opinion all restaurants in Maynooth are overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Methinks you're (or possibly she's) is missing the point of a review. Take that attitude and nothing would ever get a bad review in case it meant people lost their jobs.:eek:

I haven't tried that place yet, but it's on my bucket list :D

I'm well aware of the point of reviews, they're for simple minded people who haven't got the capability to make a decision themselves.

Anybody who depends on a complete stranger to tell them whether or not a particular restaurant/album/movie is any good really needs to expand their horizons a bit.

If anybody wants to know what Picaderos is like may I suggest you go there yourself, just because somebody else didn't like it doesn't mean you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 murfinsurfin

Went there to celebrate my wife's birthday, actually went to Twist but it felt like a cheap cafe so didn't sit down. Picadero looked much better for occasion & it didn't disappoint. Having lived on Spanish isle for five years we were into the tapas. The mixture was almost perfect, we are used to much more garlic in our diet, but they were obviously catering to the normal Irish palate. A bottle of Reserva tasted lovely, actually could have gone a second bottle, but driving later.
    Loved it, will be back.
    Just a note, Spanish have a tendency to use more salt, not just a culture thing, it's due to perspiring more in the heat, so losing a lot of salt. However I do agree the chef may be a little too flaithiuileach with the salt for these Northern climes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Staplor wrote: »
    I somehow call into the question the joirnalistic integrity of the Liffey Champion restaurant reviewer, from my casual reading of the articles nearly every place around deserves a Michellin Star.

Kim has given rotten reviews to places in the past (often not in line with what I expected, at that). Don't buy the paper often enough to check these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

i like it! they have actual spanish waiters who will chat in spanish if you want. :') so authentic :L food was delicious but thats just a side thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Went last nite and ate from the tapa's menu... I'm no expert but the GF is seen as she is spanish... I have been to spain many times and had tapa's. Last nites were very nice but i thought they were over priced and too small... The GF thought hers were nice but that the salad was over powered by the honey sauce... Had desert and was absolutely gorgeous... Ferrero roche cheese cake...
    The service was not great.. They got our order wrong which led to the bill being wrong and also we were given the wrong bill first... Tables were too close together and the staff were bumping off u as they passed thru...
    Overall i was disappointed with the service, it was a saturday nite and very busy so that maybe the reason.??? the tapas did not disappoint nor did desert, but was a bit pricey for what we had..
    There was a very nice spanish waiter who was very helpful and was chatting away to the GF so she enjoyed that....

Advertisement