Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking for years with zero accidents - anyone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

5 years and 1.5 accidents (I'll explain).
    • First year. Waiting at lights at top of queue. Light goes green and white van driver behind me decides to crash into me while changing lanes. Slow speed crash. A bit banged up but gear did the job. Third party paid for all the damage.
    • Year three. Massive chunk of road missing where the M50/M2 junction was being upgraded. Was like hitting a footpath dead on! Bent both wheels and rear tyre exploded on impact (I didn't crash though!). Pulled over and while ringing insurance company the bike falls over (side stands don't work well with the rear tyre deflated). Damage: €1,500 for wheels and €2,000 for the drop! Claimed off M50 and won! :D

My advice, and it may be OTT but I swear by it, go race or at least go do track days. I would not have escaped all the "narrow misses" had I not raced.

And, as all bikers know "Expect the unexpected". Actually make that "Assume the worst is going to happen" (e.g. that stupid b!tch at the stop will pull out in front of you as soon as you near the junction and it never fecking fails!). Be ULTRA defensive!

FYI: I got my girlfriend to ride a bike. She has a Horrnet 250 for over 3 years now and no accidents what so ever!

GET A BIKE! GET THE GEAR! GET THE LESSONS! ENJOY LIFE!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Ok so i ordered a bike and all the gear and then some kobheads spooked me about crashing and gave me weeks of sleepless nights. Almost cancelled the order. Bike came in january 4 years ago. Started from scratch in ultra crap january conditions. Ive had one crash and it was entirely my fault cos for a while i was riding like a complete knobhead. Thankfully, that gave me the kick in the ass i needed and have been trouble free. Spend the money on good gear and training and go for it. you wont look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

I have been riding bikes and loose women for nigh on 40 years now .I find that the bikes were safer for my health .:)

PS,I still ride the wife though .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

anto2 wrote: »
    I have been riding bikes and loose women for nigh on 40 years now .I find that the bikes were safer for my health .:)

PS,I still ride the wife though .:D

Genuine LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I will have 30 years of continuous biking experience this month, never had a third party insurance claim against me in those years. Had several crashes TPAF, My only injuries off a bike were a broken toe a few years ago (settlement) and several stitches from falling off at a pot hole, (settlement)

I had a head on collision in a car and broke 5 ribs, This proves to me that bikes are safer than cars. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who has been riding for a while and NOT had at least one accident! I'm on the bike about 5 years now, and had a lowside on a roundabout (crap tyres!!!) and a car broke a red light and hit me. I'm still here, still breathing and still on bikes!! It's in the blood! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

17 years not a lot of mileage though maybe 140 thousand miles in that time , worst I've done is went to drive off with the disc lock still on and ended up dropping the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

• .... don't work well with the rear tyre deflated). Damage: €1,500 for wheels and €2,000 for the drop! Claimed off M50 and won! :D

How did you do 2k damage from a drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

rat_race wrote: »
    Well, as I'm getting closer to getting my first bike, more and more people are trying to talk me out of it (as I often injure myself doing semi-dangerous sports, they all assume I'll kill myself on a bike). I am a safe person though...and always trying to expect the unexpected when on the road.
    ...Now I know that that thread is a bit sensationalistic, but what really got to me is how nobody seems to have NOT had an accident to some degree.

So my question: how many of you long-time bikers have NOT had an accident?

Ignore the nay-sayer's. I've 25 years on the road and travel by bike a minimum of 4 days a week, and sometimes 6.

I have 2 kids, 8 & 11, and both ride as well- a Honda. Do you honestly think I would take risks, uncalculated, un-assessed, lightly ? I don't, I do plan, assess, calculate, assume that everyone else on the road is a twat, and then feign surprise when they turn out not to be so.

Ride at your pace - not anyone else's. Taken lessons. Even if you know how to ride anyway .
    rat_race wrote: »
    Seems to me like an incident is almost inevitable, even those non-serious. Whereas, in a cage, it's not necessarily inevitable.

Thoughts?

If you do enough driving, it's not inevitable in a car. Less painful, less dramatic, less expensive, yes. Less likely, maybe, but not inevitable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

11 years. 2 accidents, and I'm still alive. Shame about the other drivers though. :p

Seriously though, I've had one spill at 20mph on a huge patch of oil, and then one accident where I almost drowned due to a cager's inconsiderate driving in flood water.

Get training, drive well within your limits, treat all other drivers as morons who are out to kill you, and watch out for gravel/potholes. If you do this, you'll be quite safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm on bikes 25 years - bought a DT80 in 1986 to get me to work and have never dreamed of getting out of bikes. My wife would prefer if I drove a nice diesel Focus but the 45 mins the bike takes off my commute and the way it makes me feel can't be replaced by sitting in a metal box listening to Matt Cooper depressing the nation day after day.

I've fallen off twice in all that time - once when I was practicing drifting on a gravel patch and once when I went out on black ice. Neither time resulted in personal or mechanical damage. I take a half days instruction with an advanced trainer every two years and I ride my bike everywhere in all weather. My kids (8 and 12) each have bikes - my wife isn't too happy about that either but they both have better throttle control than many of the adults I know.

Get training, spend as much as you can on safety gear, wear a back protector and keep your bike in top condition. Live long and prosper - gimme a spin if you ever buy a Ducati 1098.

'cptr

I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who has been riding for a while and NOT had at least one accident! I'm on the bike about 5 years now, and had a lowside on a roundabout (crap tyres!!!) and a car broke a red light and hit me. I'm still here, still breathing and still on bikes!! It's in the blood! :D
    Do you have a black GSXR 600?

How did you do 2k damage from a drop?
    Did you ever buy plastic from Honda? If you haven't, give them a ring and ask for a quote...

Make sure you're sitting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Do you have a black GSXR 600?

No Stef, I don't, I have a ZX9. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

riding 17 years 1 spill 2 years in back on a bike 2 days later (fool drove out straight through a stop sign in front of me, jumped and made it)

city courier for 3 years 120miles a day 30,000 miles a year

ride like they are all gonna get you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Live long and prosper - gimme a spin if you ever buy a Ducati 1098.
    On that note; my cousin is in the market for a 1098 at the minute so I'll hopefully be getting a spin shortly:D:D

I think I'm looking forward to it more than he is!

Advertisement