Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Work

Options
  • 18-10-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey,
    I have a small problem cycling 15K to work every morning. I am looking for some advice or a workaround. At work there is no Iron or Ironing board and my shirt is always a mess when I get there. I asked around the changing room a few times and everyone has the same problem. One lad just brings them all in on Sunday evening but he has a locker awarded through a lottery system at work. Any ideas. I cycle in with a ruck sack every morning.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've tried rolling shirts, but this might also work...

Maybe if it's only for a commute the shirt wouldn't get creased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Have your wife meet you at work......

I iron and fold the shirt I'm bringing to work. As I fold it, I steam it with the iron and when it's neatly done I slip it into my ruck sack - the ruck sack is one made for carrying laptops (how very last decade!!) - and the compartment for the laptop holds the shirt snugly and prevents it "falling" and creasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I would suggest a pannier bag for carrying clothes - more rigid than a backpack and so clothing items are less likely to be twisted and compressed than in a backpack. Though I haven't tried it I'm thinking a large plastic ziplock bag might be useful - something like a compression bag. I haven't seen ziplock bags large enough (I'm thinking something sized like the plastic bags shirts often come in).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is this for real????

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

ciotog wrote: »
    I would suggest a pannier bag for carrying clothes - more rigid than a backpack and so clothing items are less likely to be twisted and compressed than in a backpack.

+1

I use a pannier and place a loosely folded shirt into the top of it so it sits flat (folded into 4, rather than 3 or 2 so it fits). 5 mins of body heat once I have it on me at the office removes any fold marks.

Also, as a backpacker, rolling rather than folding clothes was a good way to avoid massive creases. You may have some success with that method.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

ciotog wrote: »
    I would suggest a pannier bag for carrying clothes - more rigid than a backpack and so clothing items are less likely to be twisted and compressed than in a backpack. Though I haven't tried it I'm thinking a large plastic ziplock bag might be useful - something like a compression bag. I haven't seen ziplock bags large enough (I'm thinking something sized like the plastic bags shirts often come in).

Argos used to do a type of ziplock bag for people who want to compress clothes to fit them into luggage suitcases etc. They are a variation on the vacuum versions that you suck the air out of with a hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

I fold mine and put it into a plastic bag and I've never had a problem with creases.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Jawgap wrote: »
    Have your wife meet you at work......

I iron and fold the shirt I'm bringing to work. As I fold it, I steam it with the iron and when it's neatly done I slip it into my ruck sack - the ruck sack is one made for carrying laptops (how very last decade!!) - and the compartment for the laptop holds the shirt snugly and prevents it "falling" and creasing.

i like the idea of the wife meeting you at work, but if she doesnt fancy it then maybe try this..?

http://www.bikehacks.com/.a/6a0120a7ed5f9d970b01348227508c970c-800wi

Fold, plastic bag, pannier.

Plus M&S non-iron shirts which work well!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I learned a nice shirt folding trick for backpack (from my mother to be fair) when I was working as a waiter. It's simple enough but very effective. If I get some time I'll do you a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

just fold it loosely and make sure its not getting crushed in the bag

12 years and only once had a creased shirt (that someone copped;))

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Feck it, I'd better go and iron a shirt for tomorrow !

I find the handiest way is to get one of those stiff paper shopping bags with the folds down the sides, slip your ironed and folded shirt in and flatten the bag carefully, and put it n the rucksack. Usually arrives intact, as the bag stops the shirt "collapsing" and getting creased up. It helps if the rucksack has compression straps to stop everything falling all over the place. Just occured to me that those generic reusable green shopping bags might do just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just have a creased shirt and be a rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Itrs almost winter....wear a jumper over your shirt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Crippens1

When you're buying a shirt think about how it might look creased. So, get darker, check patterns and go floral for dress down Friday!

Anyway, plain white are a tyranny and an abomination in the eyes of god!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've stopped ironing my shirts altogether. I fold them in such a way that they make a neat little square (collar at the top), which sits nicely at the top of my bag. I sit at a desk all day and no-one seems to notice (my shirt, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

noBrain wrote: »
    Hey,
    I have a small problem cycling 15K to work every morning. I am looking for some advice or a workaround. At work there is no Iron or Ironing board and my shirt is always a mess when I get there. I asked around the changing room a few times and everyone has the same problem. One lad just brings them all in on Sunday evening but he has a locker awarded through a lottery system at work. Any ideas. I cycle in with a ruck sack every morning.

I have no locker and just leave a panier with clothes under my desk...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I roll mine and wrap them in a towel. In the past I've left a travel iron and a tea cloth in work for the times when perfection is required. A desk makes a decent ironing board.
    You just need to make sure one of the girls will be around to do the job.

The last bit may or may not be a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I leave mine on a the hanger on fold it with the hanger still inside and bring it to work. Does the job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mc1303

The secret is to pack it tightly , then is should not get creased , did this while i was back packing used to have one good shirt and would roll it up or fold it as tightly as i could

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Iron the night before, pack in the morning. If it's just been ironed, any imperfections in your folding technique will be ruthlessly exposed.

Oh, and +1 on the pannier bag / rack bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Three piece suit and cravat. Your shirt will be completely hidden except for the collar...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Three piece suit and cravat. Your shirt will be completely hidden except for the collar...
    Something like this?

oscar_wilde.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Could you not leave an iron at your desk at work? I used to bring all my shirts to work and leave them in the office.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Until they asked you to bring them home for a wash?... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tightly folded and left in a sport bag under the desk, or cupboard. Tend to have more casual shirts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Something like this?

oscar_wilde.jpg

Definitely. This should be the standard all cyclists aspire to in work. Look at that shirt: there's barely three square inches exposed. No need to iron shirts ever again! Just change into the suit in work and you're done - with the additional benefit of looking utterly dashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

panniers ftw dude. no creases here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement