Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird of Prey

Options
  • 17-10-2011 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

We appear to have a bird of prey moved into the woods behind us. It made a failed attempt to take down a wood pigeon last week and I heard it calling today.

The trouble is we keep just missing it and I'd love to know what it is. Is there anywhere I can hear recordings of bird calls and also what the list of norm type found on the east coast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi Ophiopogon, try this link to the RSPB website,

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/sparrowhawk/index.aspx

There is a play button on the top left of the page, press it for sound..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Thanks so much that is exactly what I was looking for, my eyesight can be a bit crap so its great to go by the calls.

From the sounds of it we have a buzzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

From your description it sounds more like a sparrowhawk since it was hunting pigeons in the woods but it could have been a buzzard alright.

Yeah my first thought had been sparrowhawk but the bird call turns outto be buzzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spotted a buzzard on the outskirts of Enniscorthy today,that's 3 I've seen in the county in the last 2 days.Great to see them around.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

zerks wrote: »
    Spotted a buzzard on the outskirts of Enniscorthy today,that's 3 I've seen in the county in the last 2 days.Great to see them around.

Are Buzzards a fairly recent arrival here? My environmental studies/ecology lecturer was adamant there aren't any in Ireland when I told them they've been sighted.

They did go extinct from the whole Island in 1891, then they came back to antrim in 1933. They went extinct again in the 50s when myxomatosis decimated the rabbit population.
    But they re-established themselves in northern ireland again in the late 60s or so.
    They've only started coming into the republic in the last 25 years, but in the last say 10 years theyve spread a lot. They are quite common along the east coast and all of northern ireland now but also waterford & cork have a good few.
    You can see them about as far west as Athlone.
    I think I did see one once in Mayo so they might be making there way west very soon :)

This thread has a good bit of info on buzzards around Ireland.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72693771

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are Buzzards a fairly recent arrival here? My environmental studies/ecology lecturer was adamant there aren't any in Ireland when I told them they've been sighted.

Its a bit worrying that someone in that area is not aware of the return of this native species which has been well discussed and publicised in recent years:confused: -

Buzzards became extinct on the island in the 1880's but then made a slow recolinization from from the NE in the 1930's.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its a bit worrying that someone in that area is not aware of the return of this native species which has been well discussed and publicised in recent years:confused: -

Thats what I thought! There was several birds of prey species I had been told weren't found here at all but the sightings reported on the golden eagle trust website suggested otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats what I thought! There was several birds of prey species I had been told weren't found here at all but the sightings reported on the golden eagle trust website suggested otherwise!

Sounds like he got his PhD online:D:eek:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think I did see one once in Mayo so they might be making there way west very soon :)

This thread has a good bit of info on buzzards around Ireland.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72693771

Could have been a merlin depending on the area in mayo

BX 19 wrote: »
    Could have been a merlin depending on the area in mayo

Yeah your right, it probably wasnt a buzzard but im hoping I will see one in the west soon. It could possibly have been a harrier too because it was fairly large and I was near enough too lough mask at the time.
    I do reckon there will be buzzards nesting in Mayo by 2020 though, fingers crossed.

Yeah your right, it probably wasnt a buzzard but im hoping I will see one in the west soon. It could possibly have been a harrier too because it was fairly large and I was near enough too lough mask at the time.
    I do reckon there will be buzzards nesting in Mayo by 2020 though, fingers crossed.

Here's hoping! Its not often I see birds of prey around here. Kestrels mostly, seen peregrines out on the hills and a golden eagle once.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    We appear to have a bird of prey moved into the woods behind us. It made a failed attempt to take down a wood pigeon last week and I heard it calling today.

The trouble is we keep just missing it and I'd love to know what it is. Is there anywhere I can hear recordings of bird calls and also what the list of norm type found on the east coast?
    Did you try listening to the Peregrine's call on the RSPB site? They love hunting pigeons along tree lines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

And a question for the experts.
    Are Buzzards more vocal than Red Kites? I always took for granted that because I was seeing so many Red Kites that the frequent calling I was hearing was from them. Having listened to the call of the Buzzard from the RSPB site (thanks V Bull), now I'm not so sure, but I don't see half as many Buzzards.

I am seeing Merlins here more frequently and Peregrines less frequently, if it's of interest to anybody.

slowburner wrote: »
    Did you try listening to the Peregrine's call on the RSPB site? They love hunting pigeons along tree lines.

Yeah I just listened to the Peregrine and it still sounds like a Buzzard to me. I have seen Buzzards perched in Scotland before so I'd love to get a proper look at whatever it is to try and Id it.

Just have to remember to keep my bloody glasses on!

Bring bins with you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

slowburner wrote: »

Have you seen my pics of them in action? :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055338830&page=77

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

westdub wrote: »

Excellent pics. Good work.

westdub wrote: »
    Thanks westdub. They are fabulous pictures. For some reason I couldn't see them at the link you posted above, but could see them here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74007259

• Advertisement
Advertisement