Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard Observations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

We're blessed to have 3 here that we see on a near enough daily basis. I’ll never tire of the sight & sounds of them. There are also 100’s of crows here & they seem to live quite happily side by side. However yesterday there was a commotion in the air – a pack of crows were attacking one of the buzzards mid flight. It went on for ages & wasn’t nice to watch. Any idea why they would do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

I saw my first raptor of any kind today. Was thrilled to bits.

I feel sure it was a buzzard. There it was perched atop a telephone pole.
    When it took off it went behind the hedges so I didn't get a great look of it in flight.
    But now that I know where he/she is I'll be back to see more.

Rural area.. 14mls from Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

whyulittle wrote: »
    Always read the small print Sport. ;)

Excellent life advice :) Just saw it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Here is an updated map of the spread of buzzards around ireland. Its from the bird atlas.

2011 Map
    162457.gif

Compare it to the map from about 3 years ago.
    138099.png

Looks like they have spread out a bit more since then and they have started to set up a population near Galway city!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

cotton wrote: »
    We're blessed to have 3 here that we see on a near enough daily basis. I’ll never tire of the sight & sounds of them. There are also 100’s of crows here & they seem to live quite happily side by side. However yesterday there was a commotion in the air – a pack of crows were attacking one of the buzzards mid flight. It went on for ages & wasn’t nice to watch. Any idea why they would do this?

this happens all the time especially when the crows have young, they're just trying to scare off the buzzards. the buzzards could take them if they wanted.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Hi Wex96,

I note you are from around Ballycanew area, are there any resident Buzzards around there, i'm not too far from there, on the Kilenagh to Kilmuckridge Rd.

Secman

I've spent a bit of time on the Erne and have never seen one up that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Spotted two soaring this morning on Mount leinster , regular sightings now around my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

We have about 6 (modest estimate) which I spot reliably on a daily basis.
    organising for my mate to call over worth his long lens!
    (outside Kill village, county Kildare)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

GET have a Buzzard survey starting this weekend. Get in touch with Allan Mee or Damian Clarke for more details.

• Advertisement

Its thats time of year again when buzzards start a soaring. The Irsih Raptor Study Group initiated a Buzzard Soaring Survey in 2011 and we are continuing the survey starting THIS weekend until 17 April. Get involved and cover a 10km square from the map. Red squares are those left over from 2011 and yellow are new squares added for 2012. If you are interested email Damian Clarke <damian.clarke@ahg.gov.ie> or Allan Mee <allanmee@goldeneagle.ie> for survey instructions, maps and info. What better way to end the winter blues:-)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-Eagle-Trust/144404808950774?ref=ts&v=wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Saw 5 Buzzards soaring over Knocksedan near Swords this morning, it was a great sight.

There's normally one perched on the Straffan/Maynooth Road.

Specifically, heading towards Maynooth, this pylon on the left.
    http://g.co/maps/edxn4

Also, the one that roosts locally to me has reappeared and is roosting in the same spot. Came in a 18:13 yesterday. Hope we get a nest this year. That would be amazing.

Had one hover directly overhead yesterday also, not more than 40 feet and calling to another. Spectacular.

I would love to know what this Buzzard had up in the tree with it, was just too far away. :(

It doesn't look like a rabbit or hare, the closest thing it looks like to me is a Fox!

7S5D3107.jpg

7S5D3177.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would love to know what this Buzzard had up in the tree with it, was just too far away. :(

It doesn't look like a rabbit or hare, the closest thing it looks like to me is a Fox!

7S5D3107.jpg

7S5D3177.jpg

Its probably a piece of hide off a carcass of some sort - While a buzzard might be capable of picking up a very small fox cub, rabbit etc. an adult fox would be way too heavy for it(even the much bigger golden eagles in Donegal take only fox cubs as live prey going on observations from nests there in the past 5 years or so). Personally i monitor about 5 buzzard plucking posts in and around Blessington and I've yet to find any fox remains, though I'm sure they would scavange any dead fox they came across, which is what probably what happened in your pic:)

PS: Looking at that photo again it might just be a piece of brown wrapping/ paper. I've seen buzzards on landfill sites playing/flying off with bits of rubbish they find in such circumstances.

Unfortunately I didn't get so see as the bird flew off and see how it fell/drifted to the ground. It looked 'solid' enough through the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unfortunately I didn't get so see as the bird flew off and see how it fell/drifted to the ground. It looked 'solid' enough through the bins.

Sounds like a piece of hide with some flesh attached so - it gives that impression at a distance. A couple of years back on a trip to Kenya, I saw a Tawny eagle at the top of an Acacia bush with what looked like the rear end of a calf. On closer inspection it turned out to be the back leg of a goat attached to a piece of hide. I have a few photos of Tawny eagles feeding on carcasses which I must dig out again:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Boomshakalak

I`ve spotted 3 every year since I moved here to Muff in North Donegal area but this year there were 5 soaring in the sunshine.Fantastic sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Birdnuts wrote: »
    While a buzzard might be capable of picking up a very small fox cub, rabbit etc. an adult fox would be way too heavy for it.

PS: Looking at that photo again it might just be a piece of brown wrapping/ paper. I've seen buzzards on landfill sites playing/flying off with bits of rubbish they find in such circumstances.
    Possibly a roadkill fox that's dried out a bit in our good weather and hence much lighter?

Or maybe paper as you suggest, for nesting maybe. I've seen the starlings in my roof bring some big pieces of cardboard back only to discover they can't fit them through the whole... and the sticks!!! Sticks as big as golf clubs... I don't know what they do be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

They're everywhere at the moment there is bout 4 pairs of them across from my house and breeding pair of kites at my mates land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

The two that were here all winter have moved out, have not seen them for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Met a farmer last summer who told me he was walking through his land one morning when he spotted a large bird of pray, high up in the air carrying something, and as he was watching, it dropped it!
    So he went to see what it was just out of curiousity, and was amased to find a very warm, but very dead cub fox!
    Now at the time i thought he was talking through his hat, and ya can't believe all ya hear, but it'd leave ya thinking!

I've nothing to back up that it's a fox, just what it looks like through my squinting eyes!

Looks like I have a new spot to keep an eye on though - two of them there again today.
    7S5D3531.jpg

This one was looking a little battered.
    7S5D3467.jpg

7S5D3467.jpg[/QUOTE]
    Four here today all day, even that battered one.

6.30, this evening they were still playing down the far end of the forest.

At your home place, or Boora?

At my home, the minute I saw the battered one I remembered your pic here.

Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

thyme wrote: »
    7S5D3467.jpg

Probably nest damage on an incubating female?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

See them most days here in the North West-Derry, very distinctive shriek, they are harassed by the crows/jackdaws, majestic soaring high on a summer's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sellphone

I saw one near Dublin airport last Wednesday, up the side road heading for Naul. Also, there are at least 3 in the Oldtown area.
    Fabulous to watch.

Advertisement