Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GTI Insurance

Options
  • 17-10-2011 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

how ye lads?,Im 18 and about to buy my first car,i've a provisional liecence since march with no previous insurance.
    My cousins sellin his 01 Golf gti with 150bhp(1.8L turbo),It's a gorgeous car,black,3 door,red recaro interior and it's immaculate.
    He's offered it to me practically free but the problem is of course insurance.
    I know the notion of insurance on it with my age and experience is ridiculous but it would be a crime not to buy the car at the price it's been offered to me at,i cant get a quote online and as far as i know i've tried all of them.
    My question is if try ringing or calling in to store would i be more likely to be quoted(it's not so much the cost im worried about just gettin a quote in the first place),surely it's possible i know of someone who got insured on a 2.0L toyota altezza (Jap import) with 220bhp for his second car when he was 18(surely a ncb does'nt make that much of a difference ),oh and he also had a provisional liecence.
    Would it be possible if i got insured as a named driver with my father as the main driver (PLEASE DONT START ARGUING AS TO WEATHER IT'S ILLEGAL OR NOT OR IF ITS EVEN POSSIBLE,this is like my third attempt at making a thread about this kinda stuff and every time no one answers my question and just start arguing,please stick to the main questions,ND insurance was just something i said id mension while im here,thanks).
    My parents are both loyal customers of axa if thats any help?Any way,my main questions - it possible to be quoted on a car like this if your me and if so who'd be the best to try

....thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Best bet is to just call into whoever is around and ask them for a quote. That's all you can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

seanybiker wrote: »
    Best bet is to just call into whoever is around and ask them for a quote. That's all you can do really.

Would you recon they'd be more likely to quote me that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

You won't insure it (not easily anyway or involving the insurance ombudsman). As for your friend insuring an Altezza at 18...well, there's more to that than he's telling you...Named driver on parents policy? 3rd party extension? I highly doubt there's any insurance company that will have taken him on as his own policy without being forced to. The same is going to apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There's no point having the insurance if it's done illegally, that's the reason everyone is trying to tell you this. Literally, you're up shít creek if anything happens.

You'd be surprised the difference NCB makes, when I got my renewal from Quinn this year, 3 years was getting me 33% off (IIRC) or basically, €400 off, it's well worth earning some from as soon as you can.

If you either call insurance companies or go in face-to-face with them, you can get a cheaper quote than you would online. Talking to an actual person, they'll be prepared to haggle and drop the quote. Also if you have quotes from other companies, you can ask them to match/beat the quote.

In the mean time, see what sort of stuff you can get from online quote systems (probably won't be great, I'd reckon quinn will be cheapest if it quotes at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

If you go as a named drive on someone else insurance they have to put there no claims bonus on the line.. you crash it doesn't just f you up it also fudges up the owner of the policy, meaning there insurance goes up.

They won't quote you online, you'll need to ring around, but i think it going to be a waste of time unless you won the lotto and your not saying anthing!!! It would be a crime to buy a GTI and leave it sitting around rusting until your 40 because you can't insure it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

3rd thread regarding the same issue OP, you've got your answer plenty of times

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74866646

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74166136

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement