Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GT TDI insurance help!!

Options
  • 02-09-2011 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Im 18 with a prev liecence that ive had for 6 months,ive been lookn at golf mkiv gt tdi's for a while now but have only just managed to get around my parents because i need a car for college.

I know i cant get quoted online for insurance on this kinda car with "no experience" and most prob wont even do it at all but i know its possible because theres plenty driven around the same age as me with prev liecences and 0 yrs ncb or experience in theese cars and other vag cars with the same engine..

my question is who'd prob be the best to go to for insurance before i spend decades ringin around till i find somone who's just willn to give me a quote a ridiculously high price,it has to be possible,they cant all have no insurance in theese cars..

secondly,i know its gonna be expencive either way but is there any point having my dad insured on it as the main driver as well as his car and i'd get insured as an additional driver on the golf,he has a full liecence and ncb,the whole lot,would i be more lkely to get a quote then and would it work out any bit cheaper????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Clutchkick wrote: »
    secondly,i know its gonna be expencive either way but is there any point having my dad insured on it as the main driver as well as his car and i'd get insured as an additional driver on the golf,he has a full liecence and ncb,the whole lot,would i be more lkely to get a quote then and would it work out any bit cheaper????

1. It's illegal
    2. He won't have any NCB, NCB is only valid for one premium
    3. You won't earn any NCB experience (named driver isn't worth the paper its on)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Micra FTW....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Insure the car as what it really is, golf tdi highline/trendline 130bhp or what ever it is (no such thing as a gt tdi ;)). The info will be on the data sticker in the boot along with the engine power in kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

1. It's illegal

Care to elaborate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

oleras wrote: »
    Care to elaborate ?
    its actually not you can insure more than one car. but u can only use ur no claims on one policy.
    so if ur dad gets a policy on the golf he cant use his no claims. but he can use his driveing experence and that should bring it down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I take it from the tone of your post that you intend to drive that powerful car to college without a qualified driver beside you on a (prev ) provisional licence/learners permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

try insurance brokers not an insurance companies. I couldnt insure my car 5 years ago at all, only through brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

dax121 wrote: »
    its actually not you can insure more than one car. but u can only use ur no claims on one policy.
    so if ur dad gets a policy on the golf he cant use his no claims. but he can use his driveing experence and that should bring it down

Actually it is, because his dad won't actually be the main driver of the car. Small little thing called insurance fraud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Actually it is, because his dad won't actually be the main driver of the car. Small little thing called insurance fraud

+1

OP,if your Dad is rated as the main driver to get a cheaper quote when in fact it is you that are the main driver and you end up crashing then it could negate any potential claim.

You would be lying to get a cheaper quote and that is fraud.

TBH most companies get it hard to quote GTI's for drivers with a full NCB and 5+ years experience never mind a provisional licenced 18 year old with little/no experience.

The cheapest option is to get a small 1 litre like a corsa etc and start earning your own NCB,get more experience and pass your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

oldyouth wrote: »
    I take it from the tone of your post that you intend to drive that powerful car to college without a qualified driver beside you on a (prev ) provisional licence/learners permit?

powerful...yeah right:rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's not illegal. It's a non disclosure issue. That said, if he acts as a named driver and is supervised while driving as a named driver, I can't see the issue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

OP, for your father to insure the car and put you as a named driver he would need to have an insurable interest in the car ie own it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MugMugs wrote: »
    It's not illegal. It's a non disclosure issue. That said, if he acts as a named driver and is supervised while driving as a named driver, I can't see the issue. :)

Aye but what if he acts as the main driver, and unaccompanied (on a learner permit)?

Some companies will mirror your no claims on the second car I know of people doing it but I cant remember who they are insured with.

While technically it shouldn't be done its fairly common and I've never heard of anyone getting hassle over it.

Also some companies do take named driver experience into account if you dont have a no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

as long as the cars in the fathers name and he has it insured as a second policy, makes no difference if he doesnt drive it and the son does as named driver. supervised of course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

OP, you do not "need" a car for college. It may be convenient but it's not a necessity.

I don't know what you mean by a "prev licence", but you may be referring to a Learner's Permit. There is no such thing as a Provisional Licence.

Before you get any fanciful notions about Golfs, or such like, how about proving to the rest of the World you are capable of driving solo and getting your full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

MugMugs wrote: »

It is unlawful, results in an offence under section 64 Road Traffic Act, obtaining insurance through providing information knowing it to be false. Up to 6 months in chokey, iirc.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It is unlawful, results in an offence under section 64 Road Traffic Act, obtaining insurance through providing information knowing it to be false. Up to 6 months in chokey, iirc.

Can you provide a reference to anyone ever being convicted of such an offence?

(All Court reports are available on-line, BTW)

Gophur wrote: »
    OP, you do not "need" a car for college. It may be convenient but it's not a necessity.

For some people it pretty much is a necessity same as a car is a necessity for anyone living outside of a city.

Proving it on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

The car has to be in the fathers name and the op would be named on the policy, he can drive it to the moon and back if he likes as a named driver, where is this false information you speak of ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Can you provide a reference to anyone ever being convicted of such an offence?

(All Court reports are available on-line, BTW)

Where are District Court reports available online?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you search the forum here (I'm on mobile at the moment), a number of people have posted here who have been caught out. I don't recall any of them being prosecuted, but they did have their insurance invalidated when claims were made.

For some people it pretty much is a necessity same as a car is a necessity for anyone living outside of a city.

Students from every corner of the country managed for years without cars. It's a fallacy that anyone of them needs one.

A Legacy of years of excess, perhaps? Some people cannot differentiate between need and want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

main driver is only there to clarify who get financially compensated should the worst happen. Unless the insurance company have the car under 24 hr surveilance how are they going to prove anything

pippip wrote: »
    main driver is only there to clarify who get financially compensated should the worst happen...........

Incorrect!

Main driver is nominated to allow the Insurance Company properly calculate the risk involved and the resulting premium.

Students from every corner of the country managed for years without cars. It's a fallacy that anyone of them needs one.

A Legacy of years of excess, perhaps? Some people cannot differentiate between need and want.

Well its either move near college or get a car and I know I preferred the car option.

Getting a lift 2 hours before college starts and relying on putting someone out to get a way home or walking for a few miles to get a bus which runs once a day at an inconvenient time drops you a good bit from the college and to get home having to leave college earlier than you want because you have to get the bus and then having to walk home a few miles after.

I would say in the above situation you need a car. I certainly didn't make my life a misery by taking either of the two options above.

Also my father and uncles drove to college back in the 70's and 80's so you cant claim its a new thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Im 18 with a prev liecence that ive had for 6 months,ive been lookn at golf mkiv gt tdi's for a while now but have only just managed to get around my parents because i need a car for college.

Don't look at GT TDIs since the insurance will come up to around 4k. Go for the 1.6 first, I got quoted 1900 in AXA for a 1999 1.6.
    Another option is a BMW 318tds - I got a 1700 quote on that one.
    Both TPFT.

First of all, it's illegal. If he's insured on the second car, he automatically loses his NCB. Just in case people try to do something like this :D.

What I'd suggest is staying away from being "cool" and getting yourself some 1.0 ecobox like a Polo or a Corsa, earn your first NCB and then after you've got 2 years NCB, get yourself the GT TDI. I'm 18 myself, currently on full licence, going to have my first NCB in February and I'm still not planning to buy a Golf TDI for now even though, I'd truly love it. Like I said, based on my own experience - get yourself the 1.6.

Well its either move near college or get a car and I know I preferred the car option.

Getting a lift 2 hours before college starts and relying on putting someone out to get a way home or walking for a few miles to get a bus which runs once a day at an inconvenient time drops you a good bit from the college and to get home having to leave college earlier than you want because you have to get the bus and then having to walk home a few miles after.

I would say in the above situation you need a car. I certainly didn't make my life a misery by taking either of the two options above.

A car was an option, it was not a necessity. Some people have no idea what it's like to be inconvenienced.

So what if it means moving into accommodation close to college? It's the way thousands do it, every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

A car was an option, it was not a necessity. Some people have no idea what it's like to be inconvenienced.

So what if it means moving into accommodation close to college? It's the way thousands do it, every year.

When I was 16 and didn't have my learner's permit (or the full licence), I had to wake up at 6:30, leave the house at 7:20 and was in school at 8:20. Classes start at 9:00. I left the school at 3:50 and was home at around 6:20.

When I got my full licence, I woke up at 7:00, left the house at 8:00 and was in school at 8:55. I left the school at 3:50 and was home at 4:40 most of the times.

I had more time to study, do my homework and I actually had a social life.
    It's very convenient to have a car, trust me on that.

It's pointless though if it's a 15 minute walk to the college / school.

• Advertisement

Whats wrong with choosing the car over living near the college?

Advertisement