Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Only noticed the other day when the missus was riding it that the wheels on the bike I bought from Cian have a reflective strip running right around the tyre. It's an absolutely brilliant idea- it was really noticeable. All tyres should have this as standard.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=schwalbe+marathon+plus&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l0l3610l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&biw=1680&bih=963&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

I may be wrong but I think its law in some countries to ride on the road you have to have a reflective strip,i know its mentioned in the Schwalbe cataloge because the kojack doesnt have it! I think schwalbe is German for swallow too (as in the birds) but maybe someone will correct me on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Holyboy wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I think its law in some countries to ride on the road you have to have a reflective strip,i know its mentioned in the Schwalbe cataloge because the kojack doesnt have it! I think schwalbe is German for swallow too (as in the birds) but maybe someone will correct me on that!

yes it means swallow, my german friend mentioned it to me. They are a great idea but can look naff if your trying to have a nice classic build. Rosebikes sell a rim with a built in reflective strip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They also look a bit manky if they get too dirty, work best when they're clean too.

I missed that bike the other day, I hit a pot hole and remembered how forgiving it was.
    Bloody road bikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ra-e.html
    Although rear-facing reflectors are of some use, side and front reflectors accomplish nothing, since vehicles on a collision course with a moving bicycle don't have their headlights shining on the reflectors until it is already too late to avoid a collision.
    I tend towards this view myself; though the increase in conspicuity side-on is undeniable from the point of view of a motorist, it doesn't directly make a collision less likely, for the reason given by Sheldon Brown. I guess it might put motorists more in mind of cyclists though, making the next cyclist approaching the motorist from the right safer (I'm thinking of a car approaching a cross roads or t-junction), since the motorist has already clearly seen a cyclist passing at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn it's wet and miserable out- to go for a cycle or stay in with coffee and Milka. Do you guys head out when the weather is as miserable as this?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hmnn it's wet and miserable out- to go for a cycle or stay in with coffee and Milka. Do you guys head out when the weather is as miserable as this?
    Caroline keeps the wimp list - PM her if you end up staying in;)

tomasrojo wrote: »
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ra-e.html

I tend towards this view myself; though the increase in conspicuity side-on is undeniable from the point of view of a motorist, it doesn't directly make a collision less likely, for the reason given by Sheldon Brown. I guess it might put motorists more in mind of cyclists though, making the next cyclist approaching the motorist from the right safer (I'm thinking of a car approaching a cross roads or t-junction), since the motorist has already clearly seen a cyclist passing at that point.

I was only thinking about Mr. Browns very statement on my short commute home last night and I don't believe I agree at all, I didn't have as many lights on my bike as usual (as on Friday evening I met some crazy girl at a stop light with none so felt it my duty to make her safe by throwing some thing that flashed at her:D) any way as I was approaching side roads with cars parked right up to them, I felt I may not be seen as easily as usual but if I had wheel reflectors on and a car did decide to try and pull out just as I was passing, the flash they would create may just be enough to make the driver hit the brakes, so I think I'm going to fit some and by doing so make it the new cool thing to do and it can't exactly do any harm!!

Good of you to give her some of your lights.

If you're approaching the side-road cars from their right, your reflectors will do nothing until you pass right in front of them, as headlights shine down and to the left. I guess you're arguing that at this very point they will notice you and since they're just pulling off they'll have time to stop? Seems a very marginal case to go to any trouble fitting extra reflectors.

Wrist lights! My answer to everything.

Well she was a pretty little thing it would be a pity if she was run over, she did of course have headphones on too:eek:

Maybe you're right but I still feel the headlights would pick up reflectors sooner than you think they might, a split second may be all that is needed.

Think I'll try to find me some of those old skool red ones for my new retro build bike, awesome:)

I had a friend who had these on his roadster:

3100123.jpg

• Advertisement

I have a Rudge/Whitworth roadster renovation on the go at the moment that has those fitted to it, maybe the same bike?

Kelloggs should definitely give them away again, God I remember when every one had them on their bikes, those were the days!

I think he sold the bike in the nineties when he emigrated to the USA, so probably not the same bike, but, like all roadsters, I rather liked it.

Yes indeed roadsters and Bromptons, what more does a city commuter need (awaiting backlash) I was a little taken aback this morning when I realized Brompton hadn't actually invented the 2x3 speed system,from reading their history page I always presumed they had, not that they claim to have invented it though, but as they say, every day is a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

I can't find The Broomwagon/DFCV....is it ok to post in the Holyboy-tomasrojo thread? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

It wasn't that I actually had anything to contribute.
    Although, in 5mins I will watch The Rugby World Cup Final! I had to postpone this pleasure this morning so that I could go on The Club Spin, in the cold, windy rain (yes Kintaro Hattori, I'm looking at you....), and I've managed to avoid hearing the result, yet, whoopeee!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm waiting until the six one news to get the soccer results. I woke up late for this mornings club spin and the final :mad:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

A day packed of sport, at county final here now and then it's home to get the second half of PSG Dijon. It's miserable here Ballyhale are beating the village 7-4 at half time incase ye're wondering.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

In the words of a certain Sean Kelly when asked did he go out training in the rain he answered 'I go out and when I get home I decide whether it's too wet too go out'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Didier, what were you thinking? It's a one horse race for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

RIP Marco Simoncelli. Rossi in particular must be devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I went for a run. It was wet alright, but once you get going it's grand. Pleasant even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

RIP Marco
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    RIP Marco Simoncelli. Rossi in particular must be devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Beasty has been quiet this afternoon! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty has been quiet this afternoon! :D

Hit for 6 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Khannie wrote: »
    I went for a run. It was wet alright, but once you get going it's grand. Pleasant even.

Well with you all doing a great job of making me feel guilty I went out for a short spin. Thankfully I found a gap in the rain and now that I'm back I'm on my 2nd coffee today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Meanwhile over in the Photography forum......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75068593&postcount=276

6268986662_bbf936c564_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I did 80km in pretty appauling weather. You kopnw, rain isnt so bad when you are actually out in it - its just that it takes a lot to go out in it. I have never minded cycling in the rain, but have always hated starting a cycle in the rain. Today there was a brief lull of about an hour so I went out, and am glad that I did. If I had prevaricated, I would not have gone out in the rain when it actually came down.
    It wasnt cold and I dont think there was much of a wind. Say four other guys at various times coming the opposite way.

Holyboy wrote: »
    I was a little taken aback this morning when I realized Brompton hadn't actually invented the 2x3 speed system

I thought they had too. Who got there first? Very clever idea in theory, but I've heard mixed things about it in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Watching David walsh and Paul Kimmage talking about the rugby world cup final on Setanta now.

No mention of doping in that sport

Obviously all players are clean :-)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Need to get the page on this thread turned over quickly ...

...I've only walked out of 1 football match with more than about 5 minutes to go - that was early in the 2nd half when City beat us 5-1 at Maine Road about 22 years ago (Hughes got the best goal of the match mind you) - probably left with 25 minutes to go

Today I turned over to the track cycling at 3-0 ...

The good news is there are no City fans in Ireland

EDIT - Damn you Bob - why couldn't you wait a couple of minutes to start your rugby discussion :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement