Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Yes, it's that ridiculous. And then your manager comes along and agrees or not on how awesome you are.

You can never tell whether to be honest and say, "well to be fair I'm not the best and I've done feck all the last couple of weeks," and basically highlighting your lack of effort, or go on about how great of an employee you are and how you give so much to the company, and then you're shot down by the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Yes, it's that ridiculous. And then your manager comes along and agrees or not on how awesome you are.

Does it determine a pay rise or a bonus or just allow you to keep your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

stetyrrell wrote: »
    You can never tell whether to be honest and say, "well to be fair I'm not the best and I've done feck all the last couple of weeks," and basically highlighting your lack of effort,
    no chance.
    stetyrrell wrote: »
    go on about how great of an employee you are and how you give so much to the company, and then you're shot down by the manager.

Well if (s)he's gonna shoot you down, (s)he's only gonna do it by so much, so start high.

That's my uniformed advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Does it determine a pay rise or a bonus or just allow you to keep your job?

Luckily my manager is smart enough to understand that this is just corporate bs so we re in a silent agreement of me to write bs and him to accept it, funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Luckily my manager is smart enough to understand that this is just corporate bs so we re in a silent agreement of me to write bs and him to accept it, funny.

Or not so silent, depending on how you view boards.ie :)

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Or not so silent, depending on how you view boards.ie :)

He is not in Europe, I am quite safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Picking up my first Road Bike in the coming weeks. Will be my first "decent" bike, was just wondering if those experienced cyclists had any tips for beginners?

Few questions I had,

The wheels are seriously thin, is there any surface I shouldn't cycle on?

Is there any essentials I should have on the bike? Packs? That kinda thing.

At the moment I'm hesitant to use it as a commuter to and from College, but when I feel comfortable enough doing so, what type of lock is suggested?

Appreciate any advice/help. Thanks!

~Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

letape wrote: »
    Tell us more - what "street justice"?

Remove one gear, and remove 2cm of handlebar width, for every infraction. For repeat offenders you go to work on their bike with a neon spray paint when they have no more gears left, start with the rims. They eventually become social pariahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

marko93 wrote: »
    The wheels are seriously thin, is there any surface I shouldn't cycle on?
    You can't get much traction on small stones. Be careful if you've a gravel driveway, take it easy on loose chippings, and look out for stones that have been kicked up by repetitive traffic on some corners.

Look out for ruts and drains in the road running in the same direction as you. Some of them are narrow enough to grab your wheel and damage your tyre, or throw you off balance.

Road markings, manhole covers, and other metalwork can be quite slippy in the wet.
    Is there any essentials I should have on the bike? Packs? That kinda thing.
    There was a thread the other day with what people bring with them. I think a spare tube, tyre levers, and a mini pump would be essential, as well as a good set of lights if you're commuting/travelling in the dark or on dull days.
    At the moment I'm hesitant to use it as a commuter to and from College, but when I feel comfortable enough doing so, what type of lock is suggested?
    Kryptonite are a popular brand. Have a read of Sheldon Brown's Lock Strategy.

Enjoy your new bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Enjoy your new bike :)

Thanks very much, will have a look over the thread and the post about locks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Just decided to shave my legs. Instantly regret it. Took at least an hour, legs are itching like fook and I look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

detones wrote: »
    Just decided to shave my legs. Instantly regret it. Took at least an hour, legs are itching like fook and I look ridiculous.

An hour?

l2sJi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Took at least an hour

Leg hairs of steel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You look awesome. * hugs *

Yeah took an age, used my Wife's razor, bit like using a flymo to cut the grass in the Phoenix Park. I'll tell people its to help road rash heal but to be honest i thought after a lot of training lately it would make my skinny legs end up with that cool toned and tanned pro cyclist look ........................it doesn't.

Yeah took an age, used my Wife's razor, bit like using a flymo to cut the grass in the Phoenix Park. I'll tell people its to help road rash heal but to be honest i thought after a lot of training lately it would make my skinny legs end up with that cool toned and tanned pro cyclist look ........................it doesn't.

The bedsheets are gonna feel weird tonight BTW.

Your wife is gonna feel weird tonight. Mine hates it when I shave them, but I ignore her.

Your wife is gonna feel weird tonight. Mine hates it when I shave them, but I ignore her.

Great That means I'm gonna get lucky tonight, that's news to me and her ;- )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

You missed a bit, behind the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I think I have a couple of left-over t-shirts from the Dublin City Cycle 2009 in the top of the wardrobe, …
    Any use?

I'd guess they want something more touristy. I was asked for some suggestions (because I'm the resident "You like bikes, don't you?" person), but I don't know the visitors themselves that well at all. Besides, that yobbo does look like trouble ;)

Thanks very much for the offer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

should have used veet. works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I just realised Monday's a bank holiday and I've ordered a pair of shoes in the hope that they'll come by the end of the week before I head off on holiday for a week. Not looking so good now...

Edit: Never mind, I forgot ze Germans are so efficient that they don't do the whole bank holiday each month thing.

Don't think it's a full thread worthy question, so thought I'd throw it in here.

I've just picked up an original Raleigh Rapide which is in superb condition, however the tires have given up completely, both are perished.

I'd like to put something similar back onto the bike, not change the look at all. What would people recommend?

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Raleigh83/ral83_08.jpg
    http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Raleigh83/ral83_09.jpg

Wiggle links would be excellent if you could take the time.

On sizing - The rims say they are "17-622 700c". What's this in new money?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I just committed the cardinal sin of knocking the pin all the way out an old chain.

Think I'll have to convince the Mrs to help me fix it...a fate worse than death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Suffered a lot of abuse from motorists while out on the bike this afternoon, riding no different to how I usually ride, what's the deal? Is it always like that on a Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Some of the aggressive driving I witnessed today while on the M7/M8 defied logic, Colm. There was something in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Plastik wrote: »
    Some of the aggressive driving I witnessed today while on the M7/M8 defied logic, Colm. There was something in the air.

Reminds me of that saying... "One thing you never have to bring with you is your asshole, cos you'll find one no matter where ya go" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Found a raleigh chopper in a flea market under a church in София today. Weird find, was almost tempted for only 50 eurobean but I'm a bit big for it methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

ROK ON wrote: »
    Doing my first ever bike tour this afternoon.

Dublin to Kerry in two days.
    Just bringing a bar bag with change if kit etc.

Looking forward to it as cycling home for the weekend is always something that I have wanted to do. I have done it in part previously but never the entire distance - just shy of 300k.

Left work at 430 on Friday and the sky promptly opened, not an auspicious beginning. Decided to cycle home to Castleknock to change into dry kit.

Then cycled to south of Monasterevin.
    80km. Tough going in the wind. Intermittant rain.

Got to a lovely B&B (Clonclarin House) and old large farmhouse on a working farm. The lady of the house took pity on my after the rain. Made me a large pot of tea and served me a plate of choccie biscuits.

I am a big fan of boutique hotels and places from Relais & Chateau/Blu Book, but this B&B was very nice - a bit old fashioned but old country farmhouses should be old fashioned. The lady of the house was very welcoming and said that she would coo me breakfast when I wanted, early or late. Highly recommend this place. Properly authentiic Irish welcome.

After shower slep very well. Rose at 730 and breakfast at 8. 3 rashers, 3 sausages, 3 pudding and 2 eggs. Nice coffee and a big bowl of fruit.
    The Irish breakfast was fried - I resent grilled sausages with a vengance. An Irish breakfast is fried, not grilled. This breakfast hit all the right notes - I was offered more if I wanted it.
    The b&b lady also agreed to post my used cycling kit back to me so I wouldnt have to lug it around all day.

This was the highpoint of the trip.

Set out to cycle south to Mallow where my car was parked. Planned to head via Durrow - Urlingford - Thurles Tipperary - Killmallock - Doneraile and Mallow.

Got to Thurles no bother with only light rain but a head wind the entire way. THe route was fairly boring in hindsight.

There was a scarecrow festival in Durrow which looked fun.

Got into Thurles and the skies opened in a very bad way - the clouds to the south were black as opposed to grey. I grabbed a little shelter under a bush. Deluge of biblical proportions. After 15 minutes it died down to simply normal rain. Headed to Tipp wet, cold and miserable.
    Got to Tipp and rain gave way to more insane monsoon. 130km done. Rolled out the road to Limerick Junction too await the next train to Mallow.

SHivering.

In Tipp I stopped at a bakery and got three buns - one was a shortbread covered in a chocolate marsmallow that contained strawberry jam. Most of these things are crap, but this was simply excellent.

Got to the junction and after a 35 minute wait hoped on the Dublin - Cork train for the short (50km) trip to Mallow.

I simply counldnt face cycling in the rain any more.

2 days and 215km as opposed to 265.

Points to note:
    wearing a baselayer, jersey, gilet and rain cape together with winter embrocation on the legs is not sufficient clothing to keep you warm cycling in Ireland in August.

Touring depends on an interesting route - this route was boring. My fault.

Sole touring is for people that dont mind spending long periods of time by themself - not me.
    I like short 3 hour cycles, this was simpply boring - ymmv.

The Jesus & Mary Chain, Thre Cure and The Dead Kennedys are not really ideal music for touring. The first two are really downbeat and the thrid is too agressive. The Mary Chains style of guitar based feedback sounds horrendous on an MP3 player with wind wistling in your ear while cycling.

Trucks in the coutryside dont believe in giving the casual cyclist any space whatsoever.

WOld I do this again - unlikley. Its boring as hell. I gave up the opportunity of doing one of my favourite sportives (The Mick Dineen cycle) for a reasonably depressing and very wet and windy cycle down the country - poor choice me.

Highlights - rashers, tea and biccies and marshmallow bun.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    epic moan and food review

Which do you prefer more, cycling or eating?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement