Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems using Channel 4od this week?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

adcom wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for posting this thread. My 4od isnt working either, however i am a UPS internet customer, not eircom. i have the latest version of flash player etc and i was watching content on 4od last week but this week nothing- not even an error message:confused:. it lets me press play, warns me of language etc and then it does nothing- no error message or anything- the picture on the screen just stays there. The youtube channel isnt working for me either. Any ideas od solutions would be well appreciated!!

Thanks a million!!:)

Adcom, Im exactly the same as you. Also a UPC customer and nothing wrong with the connection. Im able to view some clips on the actual C4 channel but nothing on 4od.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

This is getting interesting, off thread for a moment, but interesting. I am beginning to wonder if there is a wider DNS issue that's somehow affecting DNS providers in general, and across a wide number of suppliers.

I've been seeing very slow responses to DNS resolutions, and made a switch to OpenDNS a few days back, and the issues seem to have been reduced, and my ISP is neither Eircom or UPC, I'm using Imagine, who historically have not been a bad ISP.

My suspicion is that there's either some strange and unreported DNS hacking type attacks going on, or someone/ a group of someones has/have found a way of compromising DNS servers that is causing massive slow downs at those servers.

Then again, I suppose it could be nothing more sinister than huge numbers of people using sites like Amazon or E-Bay or the like to find bargains at prices they can afford, given the crazy distortions that are still being reported in some areas of retail.

What I do know is that I am seeing things like packet loss, and slow response times from server that as far as I can tell are part of the Internet routing system rather than specific devices in the local ISP's farm. It may be congestion, or technical issues with either cables or hardware, bottom line is that whatever it is, the end result is a poor performance to the end user, which too often is then blamed on the ISP, even though it may be totally outside of their control.

I've also seen some very strange routings on recent ping path checks, things like routes to the States that were going via Paris and London before heading across the Atlantic. That may be down to costs and who owns which particular piece of cable, but it seems strange to me to route several hops in the wrong direction before reversing that route.

It could even be that someone somewhere is doing something malicious, and these are the ripple down side effects of activities that are aimed at other areas of the net that we're not seeing in the links or routes that are being discussed here, that's much more nebulous, but have to admit that the nature of the issues is beginning to make me wonder.

If I was to be totally cynical and paranoid :D I'd be suggesting that the IMF and ECB are having all Irish Internet traffic routed through Europe so that they can make sure that we're not moving funds out of the Euro before the thing collapses, but that would be just being totally paranoid with conspiracy theory;), so we won't go there will we:), even they are not that powerful are they:p

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm having trouble using 4OD but put it down to the fact I was trying to use it on a Touchpad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay, take the conspiracy theories to, er, Conspiracy Theories, please!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

This is getting interesting, off thread for a moment, but interesting. I am beginning to wonder if there is a wider DNS issue that's somehow affecting DNS providers in general, and across a wide number of suppliers.

I've been seeing very slow responses to DNS resolutions, and made a switch to OpenDNS a few days back, and the issues seem to have been reduced, and my ISP is neither Eircom or UPC, I'm using Imagine, who historically have not been a bad ISP.

My suspicion is that there's either some strange and unreported DNS hacking type attacks going on, or someone/ a group of someones has/have found a way of compromising DNS servers that is causing massive slow downs at those servers.

Then again, I suppose it could be nothing more sinister than huge numbers of people using sites like Amazon or E-Bay or the like to find bargains at prices they can afford, given the crazy distortions that are still being reported in some areas of retail.

What I do know is that I am seeing things like packet loss, and slow response times from server that as far as I can tell are part of the Internet routing system rather than specific devices in the local ISP's farm. It may be congestion, or technical issues with either cables or hardware, bottom line is that whatever it is, the end result is a poor performance to the end user, which too often is then blamed on the ISP, even though it may be totally outside of their control.

I've also seen some very strange routings on recent ping path checks, things like routes to the States that were going via Paris and London before heading across the Atlantic. That may be down to costs and who owns which particular piece of cable, but it seems strange to me to route several hops in the wrong direction before reversing that route.

It could even be that someone somewhere is doing something malicious, and these are the ripple down side effects of activities that are aimed at other areas of the net that we're not seeing in the links or routes that are being discussed here, that's much more nebulous, but have to admit that the nature of the issues is beginning to make me wonder.

If I was to be totally cynical and paranoid :D I'd be suggesting that the IMF and ECB are having all Irish Internet traffic routed through Europe so that they can make sure that we're not moving funds out of the Euro before the thing collapses, but that would be just being totally paranoid with conspiracy theory;), so we won't go there will we:), even they are not that powerful are they:p

I had the problem before with 4od as well but it the DNS fix posted here sorted that problem, i never noticed anything like pages being slow to load etc.(if that's what you meant by very slow responses to DNS resolutions) if i were to be paranoid i'd blame the irish tv networks - them telling irish ISP's to block access so people would have to watch their players but that's probably not happening either & a far fetched conspiracy theory.

But you know that all irish traffic gets routed through dublin(this could be monitored???) in one of the colleges - tallaght it i think - (your the guy who posted in IT bubble thread right) anyway what i wanted to tell you is a lecture told our class that brittain is starting to/going to/trying to monitor all traffic going through their main routers in london. some packets coming to ireland pass through london as well so you weren't that far off. Also i've seen packets going to paris & london before dublin, i tried cisco & nhl.com there now but they went straight to the states after dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DitzyPoo92

Anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this on a Windows 7 laptop? I'm a bit lost when it comes to computers :confused:

DitzyPoo92 wrote: »
    Anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this on a Windows 7 laptop? I'm a bit lost when it comes to computers :confused:

1. open the start menu & type in view network connections, it'll appear at the top
    2. open it, then right click your internet connection(one with the green bars) click on properties
    3. click on Internet Properties Version 4(TCP/IPv4) then click properties
    select use the following DNS server addresses.
    For Preferred DNS server enter 208.67.222.222
    For Alternative DNS Server 208.67.220.220
    click ok

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

I will definitely expose my bimbo status with this comment, but it could help someone else, so here goes:

I was putting [as suggested!!!] the above numbers into the LAN properties box. And 4od was still missing. It was only when i did as batistuta suggested and put the new numbers into the actual working connection [wireless] with the green bars, that it worked. for what is now clear to me a very obvious reason!

/shameful searching of 4od back catalogue....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

Folks - This is not a Problem with Eircom DNS Servers, it's simply a problem with the DNS-Proxy that is build into older Eircom modems.
    Just specify the Eircom DNS Servers directly and you will be sorted.
    Please see the following article and a post by me for details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74835351

• Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

BTW: Eircom DNS Server's are 159.134.0.1 & 159.134.0.2.
    Avoid using OpenDNS - Eircom's Servers are much faster! Run a DNS Test and see for yourself....

• Advertisement

this is your post from the other thread
    This is NOT at problem with the Eircom DNS Servers. The problem is actually the DNS-Proxy built into some old Netopia Modems and those Modems are blocking some DNS packets when you try to access the 4OD Service. By default, when you connect your PC/Laptop/Smart-phone to most Home Routers / DSL Modems you will be assigned via DHCP a private IP Address, and also a defauly Gateway of for e.g. 192.168.1.254 i.e. The DSL Modem itself. You will notice too that you are also assigned (also via DNCP) a single DNS Server IP Address which is that of the modem i.e. 192.168.1.254. In turn, the modem then uses the DNS Servers assigned to it by the Eircom BRAS but what's important to note here is that by default all local DNS requests are just proxied to the Modem and this often causes some issue's like what you may experience with 40D. There are many solutions e.g. Obtain a newer modem but the easiest is to just assign the Eircom DNS Servers directly on your local Network configuration on PC/Laptop/Ipad or whatever. I disagree with the above comment that Google DNS is faster that Eircom's - Download some DNS test tools and run them against both - Eircom will always be your closest/nearest DNS Server and will nearly always reply back quicker than any other DNS Server. Hope this help sort issue's for anyone using an old Modem and trying to access the 4OD Service.

is it by only changing the DNS in the network connections that this will work? i mean even if you change the DNS servers on the router will you still get the problem because of DNCP giving a server add. to the router

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

help.not tech savvy, im on fixed wireless westnet 4od not working.can anyone tell me how i do it.i also have a blueface configured router .ty for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

tried 4OD this morning, seems to be back, didnt do anything ,but i did like the EU conspiracy theory. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

endakenny wrote: »
    Go to the Start Menu, at bottom left hand corner of computer screen.

Go to Control Panel - Network Connections

Right-click on "Local Area Conection - Click on "properties"

Scroll down to "Internet Protococl (TCP/IP)"
    Highlight and click "Properties"

Click "Use the following DNS server addresses"

Fill in Preferred DNS server 208.67.222.222

Alternative DNS Server 208.67.220.220

Click OK.
    Thanks a million Enda.

Thanks also to bluesmoke for getting the technical info, but I needed the step by step before I could implement it.

Must I do this each time i boot up?

What a pain of eircom to do this, I am going to look for alternatives, I hate having to faff around looking for solutions to problems that shouldn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

hi all ex-eircom isp tech here

checked the connection with Eircom - failed got the same error 'an error has occured when trying to play a chosen programme'

checked with Clearwire - streaming perfect

issue appears to be with eircom DNS or 4oD blocking people routing from Eircom

Solution -

manually enter yourself and IP address, subnet and Gateway and give yourself the OpenDNS servers

First DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

tested on xp/unix/win7/ios5

jeffers

Tried this. Getting a message that says these servers are not valid. Any suggestions as to why this might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I am computer illiterate, I am reading DNS this and DNS that and talks of ex-eircom users saying this and eircom users saying that their computer is working, mine is not. "error" and "Error" followed by more "ERROR". Somebody please give me an answer in plain lay terms without urge or proselytization for what is wrong and why it is wtong and simple as if I am a 3 year old how it can be remedied without promotion or extra charge onto me. Also will somebody please tell me what a DNS is My apology if I upset anybody that is not my intention I am just frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

I am computer illiterate, I am reading DNS this and DNS that and talks of ex-eircom users saying this and eircom users saying that their computer is working, mine is not. "error" and "Error" followed by more "ERROR". Somebody please give me an answer in plain lay terms without urge or proselytization for what is wrong and why it is wtong and simple as if I am a 3 year old how it can be remedied without promotion or extra charge onto me. Also will somebody please tell me what a DNS is My apology if I upset anybody that is not my intention I am just frustrated

Figured it put myself. No idea what a DNS is but here's the step by step:

1) Click on your start menu (Bottom toolbar on left hand side)
    2) click on control panel
    3) click on view network status and tasks
    4) click on wireless network connection (eircom and a long number)
    5) click properties (the one on the bottom left with the shield)
    6) highlight internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click properties
    7) click on the option to use the following DNS server addresses which will open the 2 entry fields.
    8) In preferred DNS server enter 208.67.222.222
    and in alternate DNS server enter 208.67.220.220
    9) click ok.

Works on my version of windows but they are all similar. If you can get to step 6 you are on your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I just found this topic. It deserves a bump. The fix given works great. Wtf are eircom playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Thanks garbarrage, that worked a treat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement