Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for buddies going to NZ!

Options
  • 14-10-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey folks,

I'm new to boards so hopefully i'm using this right!.....

Anyways I'm a 22 yr old girl who is looking to go on the Working Holiday Visa to NZ for a yr, hopefully early next yr. But I'm having trouble finding any of my friends who are willing to go to NZ (They're all off to Australia!!!), so was trying to find any sort of website where there's other Irish who are looking for travel buddies to NZ, but had no joy so far :(

I know from experience that for people going off to America on the J1 for the summer that there's a forum to find housemates etc (j1forum.com) but there doesn't seem to be a similar one for going to NZ.

I'd appreciate if anyone knows of any website or if anyone's in the same boat of wanting to go on the WHV then give me a shout on this! :):)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Once you're here you'll meetup with other travellers in hostels and stuff or on the bus tours so I wouldnt worry about coming down alone. I've met tons of people flying solo in NZ.

There's a Facebook group called Irish People Living in New Zealand and there's always activities in each city on Meetup.com. You could also try posting on tripadvisor.com or on the lonely planet forums.

To find housemates just look on www.trademe.co.nz under Flatmates Wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 limmersgirl

thanks for your replies guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 markoshea89

i'm off to new zealand the end of next month, meeting two friends in auchland, sure buzz me up when your heading down, sure you'll be grand once you get their

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Couch surfing and wwoofing are good ways to meet people and get free board.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

http://www.wwoof.co.nz/

New Zealanders are very friendly and there are loads of Irish about. I wouldn't worry about going it alone. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Oh yeah I forgot about wwoffing. Nice way to see the countryside as long as you like farmwork and arent afraid to get mucky :) My ex did it all around Oz/Nz and had a great experience. You get the odd overgrumpy farmer that works you a bit hard but mostly they're a good bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

not all of the wwoofing places involve farms or farm work. a neighbour of ours is an artist and used to get wwoofers to help around the house so she could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

You will meet loads over here when you land, best bet is to stay in one of the bigger hostels like base as they come equipped with their own bars and activities..

Im currently in Base Auckland, 4 of my irish friends are presently working in the bar for free accomadation as well as some others working in household, All of which i didnt know before getting over here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RJ59

Hey iam in the exact same boat as you I am 22 and am mad to go nz on me whv am thinking mid april to mid may wen are you going? I too will be going on me own :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ais77

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat - want to travel to NZ in a few months but none of my friends are up for it. My sister lives in Auckland so I'll be going either way but would prefer travel buddies because she is leaving in July!! I just came on here to see if there was a chance other people were in the same situation!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RJ59

hey ais iam in the same.boat iam heading on me own wen u thinkin of going iam thinkin start a may iam going on me own and would love a travel buddy lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement