Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering project, leaving cert 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Fiendish Human

Wilwarin wrote: »
    and what if the front axle would be on a bearing and the individual drives would turn it by accelerating one wheel?

That would work and you could hit it home to the examiner that the bearing was in fact your steering mechanism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

Thanks a lot :D
    And do you have any other ideas? Or is it okay as it is?

No problemo! Nowhere in the brief does it say that the steering mechanism has to be motorized...
    And do you have any other ideas? Or is it okay as it is?

As long as it does what it says in the brief then it's okay as it is, but if you have any other ideas then by all means use them if you feel it's necessary :D You'll make a better project if you like the ideas you use and an original project always sits well with examiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ghilliemaster

Is my school the only one doing models? :D

Is my school the only one doing models? :D

Some people in my school are doing that, I decided not to though: making a model for a model of an LRV? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

How far along is everyone?? Think im pretty much up poop creek, didn't bother doing much for first few weeks and now don't know if i'll finish it! Starting to despise engineering, is anyone else really far behind??

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Lausie93 wrote: »
    How far along is everyone?? Think im pretty much up poop creek, didn't bother doing much for first few weeks and now don't know if i'll finish it! Starting to despise engineering, is anyone else really far behind??

I Just have chassis,mudguards, seat and wheels done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Chassis, steering, motor mounts, suspension done myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Iony94

What safety features could you include in your project ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Downing

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Chassis, steering, motor mounts, suspension done myself.

how are u incorporating a suspension into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Downing wrote: »
    how are u incorporating a suspension into it?

Think logically, it's very simple to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Iony94 wrote: »
    What safety features could you include in your project ?
    Sealed electronics for one...

A dab of hot glue on finished solder joints and hidden wiring would do the job nicely if you were doing everything point-to-point.

As for the suspension, a very simple method would be to have a separate chassis and a body. I.e. a Non-monocoque design.

Just keep all moving parts such as the steering and motors within the chassis and suspend the cabin and the external shell over the chassis with your suspension.

I actually have a brilliant design for a coilover in my head but I simply don't have the time to draw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Donal O Muiri

I've the mechanism, the chassis, the suspension, the brackets for the axels done. still have to put in the central control unit and the seat. the seat wont be too hard but i'm thinking of putting a spring in the seat. I need to make brass bearings to support the suspension though... Folder rightly done. I didn't bother with a model myself, I done the whole thing out on solid works so I have the drawing printed out. some minor tweaks to be done to the origional design tho, my free 30 days of soliud works was up a right while ago, hopefully I'll get it done. Finished thae construction and DCG projects though so I'm getting on rightly. Need to work more on the theory end of engineering now, really unprepared for that,teacher expects us to know everything, him thinkin it's all common sense. Gonna do out a right few of the past engineering exam papers in evening study for that. The questions really repeat themselves so I'll have a good bit of it down if i do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Is there anyone doing a flat chassis for their project. I was going to but when I looked at it the motors were too high up so the LRV looked ridiculous. Anyone know any other ideas I could use for a chassis. Really struggling. I should fly through everything else as I have the steering and electonics done so I'm not too worried about time

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Foley2012

Is it possible to get a time extension on the project due to an illness that restricted you from attending school?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Foley2012 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a time extension on the project due to an illness that restricted you from attending school?

Nobody here can answer that.

Your school would have to apply to Reasonable Accommodations and see what happens. I wouldn't be that hopeful considering there is still over a month left to the closing date.

If you spent one hour per day after school catching up you would have more time spent on it than many people have had in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sean.

Finished my project today. It's such a great feeling to have it done! I went in this morning determined to finish polishing/ testing and evaluating. Now my brief and project are sealed in a box in the storage room awaiting examination :D I'll make sure to post my stuff here after June! Good look to the rest of you on finishing your projects, peace out!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Really regret taking Engineering now, am absolutely dire at practical. My projects not near done and it won't be done at this stage. I'll have to just make the best of a bad situation I suppose and get as much marks as I can. Really ticks me off though because the theory is handy. Ah well, no point crying over spilt milk. :rolleyes: Still 7 other subjects to worry about! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

dont worry too much about it, surprisingly the project is only worth about 12.5%, so theres still plenty of % left to get a good mark

Thank god im not the only one not even nearly finished! I only have the chassis and central control panel and steering done. :( Is anyone else not nearly finished??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Thank god im not the only one not even nearly finished! I only have the chassis and central control panel and steering done. :( Is anyone else not nearly finished??

Me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 caramello_

Im fairly stuck on the project..I know it should probably be sealed up and ready for examination now but gahhh.did'nt put much effort into it, and kicking myself now! no folder either, would anybody be kind enough to give me details,examples of steering mechanisms to put into the folder? know pretty much nothing about engineering, only took it up last year, coaxed with the promise of high grades.... :confused:

deand21594 wrote: »
    dont worry too much about it, surprisingly the project is only worth about 12.5%, so theres still plenty of % left to get a good mark
    Not really tbh... If the project piece is going badly, focus all your efforts on preparing for the practical exam and on your brief. If you mess up the practical side of Engineering you're restricting yourself to a maximum of a D.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

Yeah i see where your coming from but he's still got time to turn things around

If you mess up the practical side of Engineering you're restricting yourself to a maximum of a D.
    Jayney a D? The theory is so easy and if your brief is up to par and the day exam goes okay, thats hardly a D? Hope not anyways, hoping to get at least a B if everything but the project go good!

Jayney a D? The theory is so easy and if your brief is up to par and the day exam goes okay, thats hardly a D? Hope not anyways, hoping to get at least a B if everything but the project go good!
    Oh no, don't get me wrong. I meant, if you completely leave out the practical or theory (A guy in my class didn't even open his exam paper in the theory exam) you'd be restricting yourself to a maximum of 50% or a D.

If you make a decent attempt at the theory, project portfolio, project piece and practical exam you'll have the full spectrum of grades open to you.

Yeah hopefully it will be grand, if i get the project finished i'll be happy at this stage. I think the rest of engineering will be fine! How is everyone incorporating suspension into their project? Would a spring under the seat count as suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Iony94

What's the story with the suspension part ? I didn't incorporate any suspension on mine and I can't think of any way on how to incorporate it ?

PS: Having a spring under your seat is a good idea but does it count ?

Iony94 wrote: »
    PS: Having a spring under your seat is a good idea but does it count ?
    I doubt it tbh. The whole point of a suspension is to "suspend" the vehicle chassis over its driving mechanism (Wheels in this case). Putting the seat on springs just looks silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ghilliemaster

Where does it say that you have to have suspension??

Advertisement