Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you listen to?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Stuff you should know ; can be pretty informative but usually going over stuff I already know

The Beatles complete on ukelele ; a bit hit and miss but it's interesting to hear the different interpretations!

The Memory Palace ; ...stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

stuchyg wrote: »
    Iv always listened to Smodcast but i must recommend Smod 207 featurinh Bryan JOhnson of Tell Em Steve Dave and Comic Book Men talking about how he got addicted to pain pills. V interesting and funny as always

Was trying to listen to this on your recommendation, always listen to TESD, but Smith was just overly annoying on this and had to switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TheZestyLemon

Rooster Teeth Podcast and The Game Station Podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Please point me to where I said otherwise?

When you 'fixed' my post without it being broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Updated list of what I'm listening to when I go running. Mostly football related.

Extratime.ie Podcast: League Of Ireland podcast. Was supposedly going to be a fortnightly podcast but it hasn't been updated in a very long time.

The Football Ramble: Very funny football podcast. Light hearted and some very good coverage of leagues close to home and futher afield. They also do profiles of players/clubs/leagues every week which is extrememly insightful.

Football Weekly: A bit like The Football Ramble though with added tactical insight. It can be very hit or miss really though Philipe Auclair and Honigstein are an absolute joy to listen to. Two of my favourite pundits that offer some fascinating insight.

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews: Does exactly what it says on the tin. Decent enough film podcast but I've noticed that it does get very long winded and the two lads tend to go off on a tangent and they often find themselves struggling for time to fit reviews in which is quite annoying. Can be quite funny when Kermode goes off on one of his rants about an awful film.

NFL Rants & Raves: Only recently started listening to this ahead of the new NFL season. It's not really updated that much during the off season unless there's a big event (draft) or some breaking news stories. It's pretty entertaining and can be quite funny at times. Very enjoyable.

True Faith Podcast: Newcastle United dedicated podcast.

View From The Shíte Seats: Another Newcastle United dedicated podcast.

5 Live's World Football Phone In: Haven't actually listened to it yet but I'm going by a recommendation from a friend of mine who told me it's a decent podcast.

5 Live Football Daily: Not too bad for daily sports news you might have missed. Some seriously blinkered and quite frankly stupid views sometimes, particularly on a Monday for their "Monday Night Club". Ian McGarry can be quite insufferable at times as can Steve Claridge but can be quite entertaining when the two of them get into an almighty row over something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Started listening to a bit more of Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast. Just talking to himself for an hour, but he's a very funny guy (American standup). Can be a bit hit and miss though, as it's just him talking about whatever comes into his head. Very funny at times though.

I've also been recommended Greg Proops' Smartest Man In The World podcast, which is also a one-man podcast. I'll check it out soon enough hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

I'd venture that the Guardian's "Music Weekly" podcast is the best music podcast there is, bar none.

Love to be challenged on that BTW ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

comedy: Joe Rogan, Jim and Eddie Talk Sh1t (although i hate Eddie Ifft. a talentless hack in comparison to Jim Jeffries).

music: Resident Advisor, Little White Earbuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    Radiolab
    This America Life
    Freakanomics
    BBC Radio4 Friday Night Comedy
    The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
    ESPN: Football Today
    Reasonable Doubts
    My Brother, My Brother and Me

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

The Ricky Gervais show,
    The Ray Foley show,
    and Rooster teeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

I'm going to revive this thread, although I don't know why. I think most of what I listen to is above.

Started with Stuff You Should Know and its still my go to podcast. I love it. Josh and Chuck have a great rapport, funny and interesting
    Football Weekly is unmissable for me. As much for the entertainment as the football.
    Radiolab is excellent. Production quality is amazing and so so interesting
    The Pod Delusion is the only one on my list not listed above. Its "A podcast about interesting things", mainly skeptic/atheist based with some UK politics and science thrown in.
    Freakonomics is hit and miss, but really really good when they get it right.
    I dip in and out of Desert Island Discs. Some fantastic interviews on there.
    Second Captains.... of course.
    I've recentely started listening to This American Life. I don't think its as good as Radiolab, but still very good.
    And because I've what I've read above, I've just subscribed to Skeptoid, NPR Its all Politics and This History of Rome, although that seems to be finished, so I'll just go back to the start.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

• Football Weekly x 2. It’s hit and miss but I’ve been listening for years and it’s part of the furniture now.
    • Tuesday Club. Arsenal podcast with Alan Davis and other Arsenal fans. Genuinely hilarious at times but a bit long.
    • Second Captains Football – normally just once a week.
    • World Football Phone-In. I’ve got to start listening to less football related shows.
    • Second Captains x 2. I’m really enjoying the podcasts and I like being able to skip over the parts about sports I don’t follow. Good features as well.
    • Kermode and Mayo – Still the best cinema podcast out there.
    • Empire Magazine podcast. Good magazine, good pod. I’m slightly in love with Helen O’Haras voice.
    • HP Podcraft. Started out as a HP Lovecraft focused show but has moved onto being a general ‘weird fiction’ pod. I’m thinking of cancelling my sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 McD14

Bit of a podcast nut. I always seem to have a podcast going but there isn't many that I will listen to regularly. Rather I listen here and there to different ones.

Keith and the Girl
    Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews
    The Joe Rogan Experience
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    Dan Carlin's Common Sense
    WTF with Marc Maron

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I have loads of podcasts on the go. I tend to be extremely picky when choosing one, but once it's in the list it tends to stay there until episodes stop.
    • The Comedy Button: Been listening since the GSD days, still as good as ever and great for listening to on either Saturday or Sunday afternoons.
    • The Complete Guide to Everything: This is the newest one I've discovered. It's two guys discussing a random topic every week. Really funny and interesting. Working my way through a lot of back episodes now.
    • Podtoid: Jim Sterling. Enough said! :pac:
    • Football Weekly: Been listening to this for about four years now. Love when they go completely off topic about something totally irrelevant.
    • Friday Night Comedy From BBC Radio 4: The Now Show and the News Quiz, mostly British politics humour, but very entertaining nonetheless.
    • Game Scoop!: This has gone downhill lately since they just started ripping audio from daily video shows instead of doing an hour long podcast, but still good for the odd gaming discussion.
    • The Geekbox: Podcast about everything nerdy, be it games, movies or comics.
    • Good Job, Brain!: Fun trivia podcast that never ceases to amuse and inform.
    • IGN AU: The Aussie team from IGN talking about games while getting drunk. They also do a weekly sketch at the start of the show which is great.
    • IGN UK: More game talk.
    • IGN Tech Fetish: Tech talk.
    • Podcast Beyond: Playstation talk. The best of the IGN podcasts without a doubt.
    • Podcast Unlocked: Xbox talk.
    • The Ray Foley Show: Miss the podcast only bits in these, but still a good laugh.
    • Rebel FM: More game talk. Love Arthur Gies and Mitch who are regulars on this.
    • Red Wednesday: Manchester United podcast from BBC.
    • Second Captains: Former Off The Ball presenters still doing what they do best.
    • Stop Podcasting Yourself: Great comedy podcast from Canada which has loads of guests on.
    • When Diplomacy Fails: The one intellectual podcast on the list. Irish guy talks about various wars throughout history, focusing on the diplomacy aspect of them. Would recommend even if you don't have an interest in history.
    • 5 Live Football Daily: What it says on the tin really. :P

I may have a problem. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Some great suggestions above, thanks all, perfect for the insomniac in me. It used to bother me that I wake up throughout the night, I have now reconditioned my thought process to look at it positively: a chance to listen to podcasts.

Anyhow, some ones I like that I have not noticed above:

BBC Documentaries from World Service
    In Our Time by Melvyn Bragg (if you can get over him it can be good), BBC
    Football with John Giles, Newstalk...Giles is a legend
    Golf Weekly on Newstalk
    Green and Gold Rugby
    Sportsweek on BBC (if you can get past James Richardson)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Second Captains Football
    Off the Ball football with John Giles
    Doug Stanhope's podcast (which is annoyingly infrequent,but brilliant)
    Interesting People with Martin Hines
    Wrestling with Depression with Marty De Rosa
    Guardian Football Weekly
    Richard Herring's Leicester Square theater podcast
    Me1 vs Me2 Snooker with Richard Herring
    Art of Wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Any fans of NPR's Car Talk podcast? It's about car repair and car maintenance etc. but even if (like me) you have no interest in cars it's still very funny. The 2 presenters are hilarious.

Apparently they've stopped making new episodes now but there's still an hour episode every week of stuff that wasn't broadcast over the years. Episodes come out on Saturday evening so I have it for my Sunday morning walk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    [*]Empire Magazine podcast. Good magazine, good pod. I’m slightly in love with Helen O’Haras voice.

Yes, she's lovely. :o I'm not a subscriber to the podcast, but listen to a few minutes here and there.
    Any fans of NPR's Car Talk podcast?

I heard about this a few years ago, it's fun. I listen via WBUR, not all the time, but iirc, it's on Sunday nights Irish time.

Current -

A Prairie Home Companion
    From Our Own Correspondent
    NPR's Planet Money and Education. Was disappointed when they stopped It's All Politics.
    Real Time with Bill Maher - sometimes tedious digs and so on, but generally entertaining.
    On Point with Tom Ashbrook - Feels like an actual conversation and now just rabble.

Advertisement