Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sweet shop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Jeez it was packed in there today! Great stuff and I didn't think they were too pricey (well considering the last time I got sweets out of a jar they cost about a sixpence :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Great to see the queue however sad to say the initial novelty will wear off soon given its 2 euro for a tiny bar of choc.

Much more expensive than non franchises in Bray

Don't eat chocolate so I only saw the sweet prices and I thought the prices were ok considering part of it is being in such a quirky little shop ...

1.30 compared 1 euro in Bray for ten gob stoppers.

Quirky? Some brown shelves and the lights and ceiling from old clothes shop.

Still I admit seeing the faux sweet jars does inspire nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

To misquote Homer, "I felt like a kid in some kind of a store".
    We had great fun in there today. Prices seemed good to me, after much deliberation we came away with a nice big bag of swag for 6euro. Of course you can get similar stuff cheaper in Lidl or elsewhere but it wouldn't be as much fun!

In Bray, as stated in another thread, they have more competition with several such shops. I'd expect the prices to be keener in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Ok, that's your opinion and that's fine, but let's have less negativity on the thread on its very first day.

There's plenty of small villages around that have LOTS of empty units. At least we're not going that way at the moment. Clothes shop, replaced, tapas bar, replaced, florist, about to be replaced by Vino Pasta extension, bar the meridien, at least it's remaining vibrant in our pretty village.

Would love to see it do well. Yes there might be 4 sweet shops (I believe) in Bray, but this is Greystones and best of luck to them.

Now, just need to find a time we can actually get in the door :-)

Bah humbug! (are they cheaper in Bray too :p)

One wonders how many fans will shop there regularly... Realism trumps unjustified optimism every time... Although a bitter sweet to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

One wonders how many fans will shop there regularly... Realism trumps unjustified optimism every time... Although a bitter sweet to swallow.

How would say realism fares against pessimism? :rolleyes:

What are you, the sweet shop police :)? I have an image of a grumpy elderly man ranting about the price of apple drops on the main street ..

Well all I can say is it will be a weekly visit along with the book shop followed by the reptile wonderland across the road. Fantastic memories for kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Did you buy them :D ?
    The shop was packed again today Sunday, lovely to see the happy faces of the kids and adults as they decide which sweets to buy. I got my weeks supply of cough drops.:)

I went Lidl and bought 50 for 1 euro... It was lovely to see all the happy smiling kids and adults buying cheap sweets without the extra charge for nostalgia.

But more power to auntie Nellie for doing so well.. Although I did not see her around.

I look to uncle wuzzywigs sega mega drive emporium

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

What else can you do on a wonderfully wet Monday morning? Loved the joint & don't think the prices are daft, try pickn'mix in any store & you'll be surprised. It was lively with half a dozen in store & all made a purchase. Impressed that they're selling Caffreys, Katies chocolate & other Irish options. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

was in there on sat... i think it brightens up the main street... i hope it does really well... i dont think its over priced at all.

go to the cinema in dundrum and get the sweet factory pick n mix.... now thats a savage price..

word of warning .... i got a 1/4 of the "super sour" sweets, as i love sour stuff and really spicey food.... i got through 10 of them.... they totally stripped my toungue of skin and now i cant eat :D or drink anything hot!

they are fab but dangerous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i'd rather spend the 30 cent there than on petrol to bray....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Unfortunately,
    I could almost guarantee that this shop won't be around in 24 months time (less IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Yeah I would think as long as it stays at just the one shop and not three like in Bray that it could be a viable business.

Although, it would need the support of locals so maybe some could get over their grumpiness and see it as a good thing for the local economy that a shop is actually opening and not closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,010 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Right ok could we try not to have a go at other posters

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tiger lils

I absoluetly LOVE the shop.....think i'll be in all the time! something for kids and adults, great to see something different in Greystones, not just another café! would love to see if they do parties, would be perfect for kids birthdays etc.

Parties? In a room with sweets and nothing else... I think the novelty would wear off rapido.

You would be better off asking the bookshop to host a party at least then the kids could expand their minds and there would be no obese, sugar induced hypo kids tooling around the town.

1 year and gone... If that. Preposterous business idea. Let's charge high prices for sweets only the parents remember and have them force the kids to eat them before eventually realising that Wham bars still taste like crap 20 years on.

The optimism and gushey nostalgia is more sugary than any product on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This has been done to death.

BP stop the trolling, as it is worth little here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement