Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Games Grafton Street closed down??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

IMO that's exaggerating just a little bit. Yourself and a few others aren't a fan of the store / pricing, that's cool. But most of us (80-90% of the regulars here) have had nothing but positive experiences with them. A few overpriced (and a few underpriced :D) items are an exception with the generally well considered price they charge!

I just don't like to see them ripped apart for a few perceived mistakes.

I wasn't ripping RAGE apart although I apologise if my statement of them being 'openly slated' seemed like it was tarnishing everyone with the same brush. It wasn't meant to come across that way.

I'm not a fan of the store pricing but I am a fan of the store and what it's trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nickydistance

imagine if i tacked on the overheads and had to charge €5 for fifa 99 as opposed to €1, there wouldn't be complaints, there would be murder! haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

RAGE is one of the best shops in town tbh! great selection of records and games! I myself have to dodge the place or i'd be broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

imagine if i tacked on the overheads and had to charge €5 for fifa 99 as opposed to €1, there wouldn't be complaints, there would be murder! haha.

They'd all be camped outside Fade Street instead of Dame Street. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nickydistance

anyway, I gotta get back to work. it was nice chatting to you guys and i'm sorry if you think our prices are too high/unfair. we're doing the best we can to try and keep this shop up and running, while having a good time meeting like-minded people. i may (or may not) see you around. take care y'all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Every time I go to Dublin, I always drop in to RAGE. Easily one of my favouite stores and myself and the owner had a great chat about Street Fighter and all things retro. They are clearly passionate about their business in there.

You cannot beat browsing their stuff...it takes me back 25 years.

Anyways back on topic (3D-Games), I cannot remember ever visiting a store where the staff took so little interest. Even the gf commented that they seemed not to care one bit about the customers. In the 5-6 visits to the store, I was never once greeted, and it was always quiet enough. They'd just sit behind the counter, some with a puss on their faces, and pay no heed to you. Not a bit surpirsed if they close tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I haven't been to the RAGE in a while purely because I'm still suffering the financial hangover from my Tokyo trip, can't afford to buy the things I wouldn't be able to resist if I went in :)

In fairness to 3D Games, I've had conversations with one of the guys about GBA games and the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games, nice guy and was genuinely interested in what he was selling. Can't speak for everyone working there obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I sell 1080 snowboarding for 9.95, cart only. I'm pretty sure you can get this game anywhere for under €3. To me, I feel it's worth €9.95 because I think it's unreal. Is it worth that to other people? Only a select few, which is why I now have so many copies as duplicates. So I end up giving the game for free as gifts to nice customers who by an N64 console. It probably sounds completely odd, but i do that with certain games. That's why I had bionic commando, bubble bobble, any probotector game, rainbow islands, adventure islands and a handful of other games priced higher than they are probably "worth" to most people, because they are worth that to me. That really is the only situation where I can think that our prices could be deemed as unfair.

Fantastic to hear of some 1080 love! :D Its one of my all time favourite N64 games - a frickin' cast iron classic that is still amazing fun to this day!
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    Perhaps there is truth in there being no 'absolute' value. For example I think some PCB's are incredibly overpriced for common boards. It's fan demand and condition/completeness that drives prices. However the difference comes in to play with the more uncommon/rare stuff, not just PCB's of course.

Dictating prices by personal taste I think is wrong and you'll likely find the more informed customer will shy away from a purchase and look elsewhere for those particular titles.

RAGE has been slated openly on this forum because of it's erratic pricing but on a personal level I'd come clean and back a bricks and mortar any day because there simply isn't enough of these niche businesses in Ireland. It's an incredible risk to take and again, fair play to you for doing so.

However I won't allow my purchases be dictated on that kind of emotional level. Charge a fair price (even taking in to account the retail overheads tacked on) and build/retain customer loyalty.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm preaching some sort of lesson in business, I'm not, I wouldn't have a clue I've never run one, I'm just trying to make a point from a consumer vantage.

I can kind of see the chap's point though. If he believes a game is of a high quality then it should be priced a little higher than other games that have had the same or similar circulation in the past. So long as he isn't selling the game for fifty bones or something silly then I think he will be fine. If a game is really good then people won't mind paying a little bit extra if they really want a quality game there and then. I'd have no problems paying a tenner for the quality that is 1080 Snowboarding for example, even though it is cheaper online. Its not much extra and its worth the money if I wanted to play a great game like that there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

3d games back open on Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin 1
    Contact us: 01 8729770
    Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

been there for about 6 months.
    unfortunately most of their stock seems to have suffered from water damage/damp while in storage, and is not worth buying imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

been there for about 6 months.
    unfortunately most of their stock seems to have suffered from water damage/damp while in storage, and is not worth buying imo.

I called in yesterday, they're having a clearance sale, I just checked out Xbox 360, PS1 and PS2 games and thought it was very pricey even with the sale. A lot of the tags clam the games are new but the boxes are opened and they're games that were released years ago, so are they actually new?

I didn't see anything that I wanted but the place is worth a look, if they're having a clearance sale and the labels are vague on how much is off they might be willing to haggle on multiple purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    3d games back open on Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin 1
    Contact us: 01 8729770
    Dublin

I got Zelda PH new still in the wrapper for €20 (reduced from €35 after a bit of a haggle) in there a few weeks back. What deals do you guys have on at the moment?

Shop could use a bit more light and maybe music in the background or somthing, seems very quiet. Maybe have game soundtracks playing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Every game shop should have a signature tune playing 24/7 like Hard Off. It'd probably drive you insane if you worked there but sure you'll have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I got Zelda PH new still in the wrapper for €20 (reduced from €35 after a bit of a haggle) in there a few weeks back. What deals do you guys have on at the moment?

Shop could use a bit more light and maybe music in the background or somthing, seems very quiet. Maybe have game soundtracks playing??

I doubt wampyrus works there, I reckon he just copied that info from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

thats true i copied from their facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I called in yesterday, they're having a clearance sale, I just checked out Xbox 360, PS1 and PS2 games and thought it was very pricey even with the sale. A lot of the tags clam the games are new but the boxes are opened and they're games that were released years ago, so are they actually new?

I didn't see anything that I wanted but the place is worth a look, if they're having a clearance sale and the labels are vague on how much is off they might be willing to haggle on multiple purchases.

Is it actually a clearance sale, or are they still doing their opening one? That one seemed to be lasting an eon.

**** all worth nabbing after day 2, but it did go on for yonks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is it actually a clearance sale, or are they still doing their opening one? That one seemed to be lasting an eon.

**** all worth nabbing after day 2, but it did go on for yonks.

Well I don't know about the difference in prices but they have changed the labels and signs to clearance sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I had to use the torch on my phone the last time I was in there. Literally couldnt see the shelves it was so dark.

Advertisement