Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Never though I'd say it but bless west life. Common sense decision by BE to run at least some buses via DPT due to traffic carnage on nortside. 32 minutes to the toll on the m3. Shame it takes something like this to knock a bit of lateral thinking and common sense into the BE powers that be

God, this thread has been quiet for ages, I guess everybody is happy with the great service!

The direct buses at 7.05 and 7.20 are becoming a nightmare, last two days they have been single deckers. Mondays 7.20 eventually left at 7.30 and today’s 7.05 left well after 7.10. That said at least you have a chance of getting on one in the square. Last two days (and I've seen this many times before), the popularity of the direct service coupled with using single deckers) has meant that they have filled up in the Square, so not a chance of anybody waiting at Johnstown getting on.

There appeared to be an inspector at the Johnstown stop today to witness it first hand, not sure if that was random or it was because of complaints etc..

Bottom line is there is demand for these direct services (both ways) shame there is only two of them in the mornings (and one in the evening)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

The othher day I was in navan getting bus back, driver shouted when everyone was on board, anyone for blanchardstown shopping centre, there was silence, so he bypassed that GOD AWFUL trip up the slip road, into the queue of traffic in the shopping centre, swiming back on to the slip road etc.... It was a reliefe NOT to go into the shopping centre. I wish more drivers would check and if NO one is going to the S.C, then bypass it. Common sense. Hopefully a bull bypass will happen aroud xmas like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

hi

the reason the 705(not sure about the 720) is full is that people from Kells are getting the 645 to navan and transfering bus as the express that we can get is arriving late and full most days. There are are least 15 people doing this. There was an inspector there last week also not sure if it was the same guy-all he said was we must put on a double decker. Is the easiest thing not to make the 645 bus from Kells and do the pickups as its always a double decker bus.

"the reason the 705(not sure about the 720) is full is that people from Kells are getting the 645 to navan and transfering bus as the express that we can get is arriving late and full most days"

Proof again of the demand for express services. The inspector was on the 7.05 in Navan again this morning and off course the situation wasnt as bad! that said, once again it was a single decker and not everybody at Johnston was able to get on.

I'd been on leave for a few weeks, but apparently morning services have been having issues re capacity etc for the last number of weeks (students back I guess). I was talking to a fella in the busaras yesterday who told me he had emailed BE 3 times in the last few weeks re the R109, but as ususal no response was forthcoming!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Unfortunately the 0705 or 0720 dont suit me with dropping off child. I am usually sprinting for the private Sillian coach which leaves Ardboyne around 0736. Like to keep appraised of BE as still get it from time to time. The trip into Blanch really wrecks my head in the evening.

I hope he isnt going through blanch in the morning.

Do they still go through Clonee in the morning WHY oh WHY

On the issue of morning departures I just noticed the below thread from Feb of this year in this thread

"Received from Damien English TD:

The position of Bus Eireann is as follows.

'In relation to the 109, we will be applying by the end of this week to the NTA for a licence to operate a peak morning departure from Navan via the Port Tunnel, and a peak evening departure from Busaras to Navan via the Port Tunnel. If and when we have the licence, we put these services in as soon as possible.'

The timeline on the NTA's own website for decision on applications for a licence are for commercial operators & can take up to eight weeks. In relation to the Public Service Obligation Routes like Navan, once Bus Éireann make a decision to make an application to amend a route, the NTA expect to be able to make a decision on this swiftly, within days rather than weeks I have been told.

Hopefully there will be closure on this next week or early the week after. Can you keep me informed from your end?

Regards

Damien"

Shame nothing ever came of the express service to Dublin via port tunnel, I have driven that route once or twice before in the mornings and while not saying it would be so quick all the time, I was heading down the quays in under the hour mark.

That said, I'd be happy if the could just up the number of peak time evening departures via DPT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

malene wrote: »
    The othher day I was in navan getting bus back, driver shouted when everyone was on board, anyone for blanchardstown shopping centre, there was silence, so he bypassed that GOD AWFUL trip up the slip road, into the queue of traffic in the shopping centre, swiming back on to the slip road etc.... It was a reliefe NOT to go into the shopping centre. I wish more drivers would check and if NO one is going to the S.C, then bypass it. Common sense. Hopefully a bull bypass will happen aroud xmas like last year.

I don't know why anyone would volunteer to drive through that hole if they didn't have to. If I have nobody on board who buys a ticket to Blanch, presents an existing ticket to there or specifically asks for the stop then I don't leave the N3.

It is an incredibly stupid situation, the pick-up stop on the slip road is a 2 minute walk from the one in the shopping complex (and by all accounts is used by more passengers) and the drop-off on the N3 is less than 10 minutes. In heavy traffic it is slower to drive it and IMO it is very bad customer service to inflict a 15 minute delay on a busload of passengers for a small benefit for 1 or 2.
    "the reason the 705(not sure about the 720) is full is that people from Kells are getting the 645 to navan and transfering bus as the express that we can get is arriving late and full most days"

Proof again of the demand for express services. The inspector was on the 7.05 in Navan again this morning and off course the situation wasnt as bad! that said, once again it was a single decker and not everybody at Johnston was able to get on.

I'd been on leave for a few weeks, but apparently morning services have been having issues re capacity etc for the last number of weeks (students back I guess). I was talking to a fella in the busaras yesterday who told me he had emailed BE 3 times in the last few weeks re the R109, but as ususal no response was forthcoming!!

An extra bus was provided this morning (a hired-in one) which started loading at Market Sq after the 7.05 left, it left in between that and the 7.20 (which this morning was a double-decker) with space for Ardboyne passengers that could not be accomodated on the 7.05. The 7.20 was not full so all were accomodated from both stops.

It is known that these services are busy and should have a LD type allocated if possible. This has not been happening consistently because there are not always enough available for various reasons, mechanical faults leaving the numbers available for service reduced being a major one.

I do not know if the extra bus was a temporary measure or not but the problem with these services being over-subscribed is not being ignored.

Ensuring both M3 departures have a LD every day is obviously the best solution but it would mean re-allocating them from other services which may also need the capacity just as much.

Shame nothing ever came of the express service to Dublin via port tunnel, I have driven that route once or twice before in the mornings and while not saying it would be so quick all the time, I was heading down the quays in under the hour mark.

I seriously doubt there would be any time savings using that route inbound, North Wall Quay can also be very slow going. The M3 service make O'Connell Street in less than an hour usually anyway from what I have been told.

Outbound is a completely different story with the bottlenecks and lack of bus priority as far as Ashtown, IMO between 4 and 7pm the 1/2 hourly frequency through Cabra should be maintained with all the other extra services Busaras non stop to Fairyhouse, Navan or Kells. That would maintain a reasonable service for the intermediate points but provide as quick as possible journeys for those boarding in Busaras going to Dunshaughlin and beyond who make up the vast majority of the custom during that period. There is really no justification for shoving 20+ packed buses down one of the most congested corridors in the city to cater for stops that probably generate less than 2 busloads in total.

I have said it before but the commuters on that route should create a users group to lobby the NTA and Bus Eireann in order to improve their service.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Outbound is a completely different story with the bottlenecks and lack of bus priority as far as Ashtown, IMO between 4 and 7pm the 1/2 hourly frequency through Cabra should be maintained with all the other extra services Busaras non stop to Fairyhouse, Navan or Kells. That would maintain a reasonable service for the intermediate points but provide as quick as possible journeys for those boarding in Busaras going to Dunshaughlin and beyond who make up the vast majority of the custom during that period. There is really no justification for shoving 20+ packed buses down one of the most congested corridors in the city to cater for stops that probably generate less than 2 busloads in total.

I have said it before but the commuters on that route should create a users group to lobby the NTA and Bus Eireann in order to improve their service.

Couldn't agree more with above. I've said this before about how many get on and off at the stops between Bus Aras and Blanch and have pointed this out to BE to no avail.

The 6.30 is a prime example, without looking at the timetable, I'm nearly sure that there are 3 buses leaving at 6.30 all going out via cabra

Re a user group, all up for that, if anybody's interested drop me a PM.

I think back in February when BE took the 5.30 express off the DPT route there was email correspondence to Damien English quoted here, and if memory serves me correctly that decision was reversed very quickly.

I was driving into city centre on Sunday from Navan. I passed the slip road to Blanch at 1500, tailback, with a 109 plonked on the slip road in said tailback. I was wondering if it even had customers for Blanch-hope there was so not to infuriate all passengers.

• Advertisement

I see that they have amended the expressway 30 timetable again, unfortunately at a glance it appears that they have done away with the 6 oclock that went through the port tunnell and served Dunslaughlin, Navan and kells which is a shame, as it was a great if you had missed the 5.30 express etc.. and where further afield stops permitted I've ofthen seen in excess of 20 Navan and Dunslaughlin users getting it, got you into Navan circa 10-15 minutes quicker than the normal 6 o clock that goes out via Cabra.

Well spotted. How did it come to your attention?

Boooo. Notice the date at top of timetable not updated.

Any BE 109 going through DPT in the evening now?

Just the 5.30 express now as far as I know, :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just the 5.30 express now as far as I know, :confused:

What an absolutely incredible state-of-affairs....GUBU indeed :o

One immediate solution might be to extend some of the Bus Atha Cliath routes to Dunshoughlin,although with the calibre of BE management they would react with more services through Blanch !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This is an account of some disturbing behaviour by a Bus Eireann driver last night (109 bus) and it really should be highlighted and I hope management reads this.

I experienced what I can only call, one of the most uncomfortable experiences as a passenger, and witnessed the most disturbing behaviour by a driver I have ever seen.

People queued up to get on the bus at gate 7. The driver would either bark his dissatisfaction at them or raise his voice in an intimidating way. He would ORDER passengers in the strongest tone, to put their baggage, even if it was a small suitcase, into the side luggage door and NOT bring it inside. If it was monster of a suitcase, I'd understand, this was not though. Passengers didn't know where to look and some of us looked at eachother as if to say, is this happening.

Then he pulled out and a woman , clearly in her sixties, came out of gate 7 and waved at him, he couldn't reverse, so went back towards the gate and stopped. He pointed at the woman in and enraged manner to go back inside. She was 4 foot from the bus (and CCTV will back me up) and he just WOULD NOT let her on. To refuse a woman onto a bus, when he clearly COULD have, is mindboggling, sinister, a disagrace, sickening and a sign of someone who has a bullying streak and has a serious anger management issue.

Then, later on, people would come up from the side and kindly ask him to stop at next stop. 99% of drivers nod and stop. This guy barked at them that they should press the button on top and sent them back to press the button. Again, a real control freak. At night, the buttons are not really visible and most people realise the bus driver is usually accomodating. To order the passanger back to his seat to press a bell to stop a bus, that the driver already knew he had to stop is a sign of a control freak (or you can fill in your own diagnosis here).

His demeanour is really off putting and establishes a very bad vibe on the bus. People have enough on their plate and get on buses just to go home or whatever and don't need this kind of thing froma driver.

I don't look at the driver as a reflection of Bus Eireann overall, but I do look at him as someone under the radar that management are not aware of and clearly he needs to be removed for intimidating customers.

And before you say he had a bad day, that was the 2nd time I've seen him in action.

He barked at an African man one day on the airport bus for talking on his phone while paying for the ticket. Ok, maybe you should put the phone aside while you pay for ticket, but to be viciously condecending is unreal. This guy has a problem with race too and that was absolutely clear from the way he treated the guy.

This driver is just too sharp, can cut you short and is like the scariest principal you ever had in school.

I felt so bad for that woman, left standing at the departure gate, but yet,I was afraid to say to the driver "sorry, can you stop the bus and let the woman on"? , in case he lambasted me afor not minding my own business.

If there's anyone from buseireannmanagement and you can verify yourself witha od, I'll PM details of driver and time of bus. This guy needs to be put in his place before he actually provokes someone. A P45 is the only way.

M

malene wrote: »
    If there's anyone from buseireannmanagement and you can verify yourself witha od, I'll PM details of driver and time of bus. This guy needs to be put in his place before he actually provokes someone. A P45 is the only way.

M

Unfortunatley Malene , BE dont do complaints/ negative feedback!

They don't check/ refuse to acknowledge emails directed at them, never mind acknowlodging something posted on this forum.

Unfortunatley Malene , BE dont do complaints/ negative feedback!

They don't check/ refuse to acknowledge emails directed at them, never mind acknowlodging something posted on this forum.

If there was enugh media attention, they might. DRivers can't bully passengers and hide behind unions.

eh just in relation to not letting the woman on the bus once the bus closes the door and begins to pull away he doesnt have to let anybody else on the bus. as a regular commuter this is a common occurance and really annoys me that i can make the bus on time and then as straglers arrive we end up leaving late

shannon82 wrote: »
    eh just in relation to not letting the woman on the bus once the bus closes the door and begins to pull away he doesnt have to let anybody else on the bus. as a regular commuter this is a common occurance and really annoys me that i can make the bus on time and then as straglers arrive we end up leaving late

fair enough, but he drove back into his spot again and paused as something was obstructing him from behind, so she stood there and he pointed angrily at her to basicly "feck off" back inside. Now, he could have let her on, while he waited for the obstruction, but there was this GOD awful awkwardness as we all looked out at her just standing there,m 4 foot away and back at him, ADAMANT she was not getting on. Common courtesy is al that was needed. All of us at some point just miss the bus or something, or we're 2 minutes late, but having her stand there and refusing to let her on is just really rude to be honest.

Mal

In fairness this thread is for talkin about the timetable etc.i see you have posted in another thread also-maybe we shud just stick to the title

• Advertisement

back to single decker for the 7.05 express this morning, and a couple of poor sods being left at the bus stop at Johnstown in the p***ing rain cos the bus was full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tom23

I have been keeping an eye on this thread and like my fellow commuter 109 I have been frustrated at different levels over the last month. People in all seriousness, when submitting complaints to Bus Eireann, cc the NTA on them, your local councillor etc.

People will sit up and take notice, particularly when the NTA are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Two buses leave Navan town at 7.20 - an Express (up the M3) and the longer route. I was at the bus stop at 7.10. The express bus arrived - and then pulled off at 7.15 (five minute early). Two men were sauntering up to it as it pulled off, and looked at each other amazed. It wasn't full, by the way.

The other bus came on time and we departed. The next stop is outside Navan but before the M3 so the Express should stop there. I was sitting downstairs, and when the bus pulled in, the first guy at the stop asked the driver about the Express. The driver clearly stated that the Express was behind him! Not true! So a number of passengers chose not to get on the indirect bus and waited behind. The next bus is not an express so they were really out of luck.

When I twigged why people weren't getting on the bus, I tried to get up towards the front to shout out the doors that the express bus was already gone, but there were too many passengers flowing against me. I'd say there were 5-6 people who were misinformed.

On the 109 Dublin to Cavan @ 20.30
    Went through Blanch
    Went through Clonee
    No drops or collects-pity he didn't ask before we left.
    Bus packed.
    Navan stop pour moi

Went through Blanch
    Went through Clonee
    Bus packed.
    Navan stop pour moi

Two buses leave Navan town at 7.20 - an Express (up the M3) and the longer route. I was at the bus stop at 7.10. The express bus arrived - and then pulled off at 7.15 (five minute early). Two men were sauntering up to it as it pulled off, and looked at each other amazed. It wasn't full, by the way.

The other bus came on time and we departed. The next stop is outside Navan but before the M3 so the Express should stop there. I was sitting downstairs, and when the bus pulled in, the first guy at the stop asked the driver about the Express. The driver clearly stated that the Express was behind him! Not true! So a number of passengers chose not to get on the indirect bus and waited behind. The next bus is not an express so they were really out of luck.

When I twigged why people weren't getting on the bus, I tried to get up towards the front to shout out the doors that the express bus was already gone, but there were too many passengers flowing against me. I'd say there were 5-6 people who were misinformed.

Not sure, but when the single deckers are on, I think they may have been running two expresses buses in the last few days

Is the 6pm bus this evening an express?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tom23

On the 109 departing at 3:30. Bus full to the brim, not a single seat empty . Driver does not seem to be aware (or doesn't care) and stops to let two passengers on at the ncr, so two people standing possibly to dun shaughlin. Can some one please tell what is the official rule on people standing?

And why do some drivers not keep a head count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Kutebride wrote: »
    Went through Blanch
    Went through Clonee

Ask what exactly? "Can any psychics on board consult their crystal ball and tell us if anybody is going to be at Blanchardstown or Clonee in 20 minutes time waiting for a bus to Cavan"

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Ask what exactly? "Can any psychics on board consult their crystal ball and tell us if anybody is going to be at Blanchardstown or Clonee in 20 minutes time waiting for a bus to Cavan"

I think you've made your point, re Blanch anway (still a joke having a main service divert off into a traffic blackspot to serve one or two)

Re Clonee - not an official stop on the 109, so there should be no one waiting, the bus going via Clonee is madness, and if we're talkling sheaf of wheat stop, no crystal ball needed, as regards people getting on as far as im concerned, I dont think I've witnessed as much as one person getting on there in the 20 odd years I've used 109.

As for getting off there ,one lady gets off on the very odd occassion, (not surprising as there only appears to be about 4 houses there)

Again it's the old Bus Eireann mentality of having absolutely no problem with inconveniencing the vast majority for the sake of a tiny minority

Advertisement